Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TdF 2022 is on USA networks

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-22, 08:47 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

For those who haven't found out, 2022 live on USA network, starting Friday July 1, at 930am. From VeloNews ""NBC-owned USA Network will cover the race live on TV, with the exception being stages 12 and 13 which will be tape delayed. NBC will also air stages 2 and 20. The NBC-owned Peacock online streaming service will be carrying the race live in the U.S. through the full 21 stages." KB
Old 06-27-22, 08:51 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
They're going to air the TT on NBC? I guess there must not be any golf or NASCAR going on.
Old 06-27-22, 11:11 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I noticed that too! That's Channel 4 and 38 for me here in NYC.
Old 06-27-22, 01:50 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Also, if you have Spectrum cable or internet , you get a "free year" of Peacock tv Premium. (which will live stream the tour). I just signed up for that..... KB
Old 06-28-22, 04:30 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
They're going to air the TT on NBC? I guess there must not be any golf or NASCAR going on.
Actually they specifically say Stage One is on USA.
Old 06-28-22, 04:56 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Freerojo
Actually they specifically say Stage One is on USA.
If we're being specific, what do they about stage 20? You know, the TT, not the prologue.

p.s. ok, stage 1 is an itt not a prologue. So is 20, and it's a beast.

Last edited by slcbob; 07-01-22 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-28-22, 07:34 PM
Sommy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does anyone know if Peacock archives each stage, like NBC Gold used to do? I can’t always watch each stage live.
Old 06-29-22, 04:02 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Sommy
Does anyone know if Peacock archives each stage, like NBC Gold used to do? I can’t always watch each stage live.
I'm sure someone does, but not me.
Generally, unless it says "live and on demand" or similar, it is only live. Taking the OP at face value, I would guess not.
I bet there are more options on Paycock than Freecock, which may approach the old NBC Gold schema.
Old 06-30-22, 02:11 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
There is a small sports network entirely and seriously devoted to cycling, which hires people to talk about it who know wtf they are talking about and gives them lots of time to do so, and offers all three Grand Tours as well as many other races--all of them in fact. As opposed to NBC Sports which has always seemed to resent having to cover the Tour at all, and therefore does so as badly as they possibly can, trying every year to find a different way to screw it up. Ah if only there were a way to watch GCN in the USA, perhaps some kind of very personal node would do it.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-30-22, 08:12 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sommy
Races have been archived this season on Peacock so far and can be watched as replays. Not sure if you’ll see the very beginning, but we almost never did before. The beauty about cycling on peacock is no ads…yet.
Old 07-01-22, 03:43 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
There is a small sports network entirely and seriously devoted to cycling, which hires people to talk about it who know wtf they are talking about and gives them lots of time to do so, and offers all three Grand Tours as well as many other races--all of them in fact. As opposed to NBC Sports which has always seemed to resent having to cover the Tour at all, and therefore does so as badly as they possibly can, trying every year to find a different way to screw it up. Ah if only there were a way to watch GCN in the USA, perhaps some kind of very personal node would do it.
Use a VPN to "go" to England.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 07-01-22, 04:15 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Comcast offers the premium version of Peacock at no extra charge to their Internet-only customers. Initially I used their streaming box, but it turns out that's not necessary. Now I use Roku (better picture than the Comcast box) with my Comcast sign in credentials. Last year, Peacock had different announcers/analysts than NBCSN had.
Old 07-01-22, 08:38 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Use a VPN to "go" to England.
I guess subtlety doesn't work here...and I didn't think I was that subtle, either!

In all seriousness, GCN's coverage and commentary is heads, shoulders, and the heads and shoulders of several more people standing on each other's shoulders above NBC or Peacock or whatever the US carrier for the Tour and other bike racing is. I switched over to NBC to see what was up during one stage of the Giro, because I had a soft spot for Bobke and Christian, but went right back to GCN+.

The pre- and post- race commentary on major races led by Orla Chennaoui is really fun to watch, too. THEY seem like they're having fun, constantly 'taking the piss' out of each other, Dan Lloyd's lackluster pro career being a particularly regular joke.

A few quibbles: I could do with less of Wiggo's commentary, hopefully he'll get a gig with an Oasis cover band. And Hannah Walker is just trying way too hard, including with her wardrobe, as my wife notes.

Just look at the lineup of coverage on GCN--and this is just races, they also have documentaries, etc:

https://plus.globalcyclingnetwork.com/races

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-01-22 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 07-02-22, 10:35 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
GCN+ is indeed the very best cycling racing coverage out there; nothing comes close.

If I was in another region that couldn't get it, I'd absolutely invest in a decent VPN to get access. It's tablet/phone/computer only but can be Chromecast to the TV and it is awesome.

Old 07-02-22, 10:40 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
I guess subtlety doesn't work here...
Nope.

And it's not the Chicago way.
Old 07-02-22, 11:26 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
GCN+ is indeed the very best cycling racing coverage out there; nothing comes close.
If I was in another region that couldn't get it, I'd absolutely invest in a decent VPN to get access. It's tablet/phone/computer only but can be Chromecast to the TV and it is awesome
For English speakers... comparison would be NBC, which means the usual 'Vegas' production for the TDF level broadcasts. And putting up with Liggett
GCN+ does provide way more coverage - which I like. BUT, they aren't the shining example of great coverage in all aspects either... Carlton Kirby at first was entertaining, but his fulltime wanderings into 'quip-dom', not really related to anything happening on the road, get tiresome quickly, A long race with Carlton is painful. Jose Been has a bad habit of interrupting her co-commentator with trite stuff she absolutely must blurt out RIGHT NOW !
At first I found Ant to be super straightforward, and with his form of delivery, something to get accustomed to. BUT, I do prefer 2 most important things, quick Identification of riders I don;t quickly recognize myself, and picking out things in the happening race which aren't always positive. Sometimes he's a bit off the mark, but given his ability to mostly 'flow' on the actual race, and inject other comments when the race allows, I find him the most tolerable.
Since I can't get other Broadcasts, nor likely 'understand' the language. The choice is NBC or GCN...
And since every broadcast entity gets the same 'feed' - it only comes down to how you present...
BTW, Besides their own Broadcast Team, NBC/Peacock not only provides their own Commentary, but also gives the Eurosport Commentary as another option... True for this TDF and some of the other prior races they had broadcast right for, but chose not to use their own commentators, and just relayed the Eurosport broadcast.
Between NBC/Peacock and GCN+ I'm getting to see way, way more cycling than I've ever seen, so no real complaints.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-02-22, 11:52 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
For English speakers... comparison would be NBC, which means the usual 'Vegas' production for the TDF level broadcasts. And putting up with Liggett
GCN+ does provide way more coverage - which I like. BUT, they aren't the shining example of great coverage in all aspects either... Carlton Kirby at first was entertaining, but his fulltime wanderings into 'quip-dom', not really related to anything happening on the road, get tiresome quickly, A long race with Carlton is painful. Jose Been has a bad habit of interrupting her co-commentator with trite stuff she absolutely must blurt out RIGHT NOW !
At first I found Ant to be super straightforward, and with his form of delivery, something to get accustomed to. BUT, I do prefer 2 most important things, quick Identification of riders I don;t quickly recognize myself, and picking out things in the happening race which aren't always positive. Sometimes he's a bit off the mark, but given his ability to mostly 'flow' on the actual race, and inject other comments when the race allows, I find him the most tolerable.
Since I can't get other Broadcasts, nor likely 'understand' the language. The choice is NBC or GCN...
And since every broadcast entity gets the same 'feed' - it only comes down to how you present...
BTW, Besides their own Broadcast Team, NBC/Peacock not only provides their own Commentary, but also gives the Eurosport Commentary as another option... True for this TDF and some of the other prior races they had broadcast right for, but chose not to use their own commentators, and just relayed the Eurosport broadcast.
Between NBC/Peacock and GCN+ I'm getting to see way, way more cycling than I've ever seen, so no real complaints.
Ride On
Yuri
GCN+ works in collaboration with Eurosport. We get both, since Eurosport is a part of our local TV channels that everyone gets anyway.

It is also available in several languages, not only English; Italian, German, Japanese, Dutch, French and Spanish. They have presenters all over.

I agree re Carlton, he is irritating at times but the other presenters are good and Carlton doesn't do all the races and he doesn't do all of one race either usually, they take shifts.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 07-03-22, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6179 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
USA network seems to be carrying the TdF live with the usual NBC announcers here in the USA broadcast market. No need for Peacock.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-03-22, 01:31 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by Iride01
USA network seems to be carrying the TdF live with the usual NBC announcers here in the USA broadcast market. No need for Peacock.
USA is an NBC owned channel and they moved all the cycling and Ski from Olympic channel to USA... And as of post Olympics, the number of SKI broadcasts were sharply reduced, after the move.
So if I wasn't signed up for Peacock, I would have lost a lot of Biathlon and XC... Peacock actually simplifies things, because I don;t have to search thru scores of channel listings to find Ski or cycling.
And if it's a longer or 2 run event, I usually get to see all or most of it.
If it wasn;t for the SO's desires and needs for her programing tastes, I could/would eliminate my Directv connection completely. I can get 95% of what I'd like via internet...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 07-04-22, 02:44 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Peacock has two feeds. One is the USA network that has Matthew Keenan calling it with I’m not sure who, and the other has Phil and Bobke. I actually quite like Keenan. I tried the one with Phil, but after all these years I think he really messes up so much I can’t listen to him anymore.
Old 07-04-22, 04:37 PM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
Peacock has two feeds. One is the USA network that has Matthew Keenan calling it with I’m not sure who, and the other has Phil and Bobke. I actually quite like Keenan. I tried the one with Phil, but after all these years I think he really messes up so much I can’t listen to him anymore.
The non-USA feed is Anthony McCrossan and Nicholas Roche. Roche relatively new to the booth (retired from racing just last year I think) and is a bit quiet and sometimes doesn't get where McCrossan is obviously leading him, but he knows a lot of the current riders and generally has good insight into the sport. McCrossan has been doing cycling for Eurosport and others for many years and does an admirable job of keeping up the chatter for an entire stage even if it's not always substantive. I generally prefer that feed to the NBC crew.
Old 07-05-22, 02:23 PM
DLBroox

Originally Posted by AeroGut
The non-USA feed is Anthony McCrossan and Nicholas Roche. Roche relatively new to the booth (retired from racing just last year I think) and is a bit quiet and sometimes doesn't get where McCrossan is obviously leading him, but he knows a lot of the current riders and generally has good insight into the sport. McCrossan has been doing cycling for Eurosport and others for many years and does an admirable job of keeping up the chatter for an entire stage even if it's not always substantive. I generally prefer that feed to the NBC crew.
Ah ok not sure why I thought it was Keenan. But I really like these two guys. Roche is definitely getting smoother over these few days.
Old 07-05-22, 02:32 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I am told that Hulu has it too but not the bare bones package; you need an upgraded one.
Old 07-05-22, 02:33 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

The Peacock replays are very much a problem. NBC has loaded the 'USA replay" - the one with Liggett,Bobkie,CVdV, Horner - now has a ton of commericals, none of which you can 'fast forward' thru. You FF and when you stop, they ALL play BEFORE you get to any racing...
A total non-starter for me; so I'm hangin with Ant & Niko show for all of the stage replays...
I get the commercial revenue is planned on; but I'm a 'Paying Customer', and the commercial load is way over the top!
...when things go well, expect something become a disappointment...
Yuri
Old 07-06-22, 07:51 AM
DLBroox

The non USA live race and replays have no commercials. It’s been great. And I honestly don’t miss Phil and Bobke.

Phil and Paul were the voices of my summer and I only ever listened to them but it’s just not the same without Paul.
Likes For DLBroox:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.