Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck Seat Post Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck Seat Post Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 01:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Stuck Seat Post Removal

Attempt number 10.
It can't be stuck if it's liquid

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-02-22, 02:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Sometimes I find myself wishing I could try out such things. However I've never had a stuck seat post or stuck quill in my steerer tube that a rap with a hammer wouldn't cure.

Oh woe is me!

Pretty frame color. What groupset is going back on it?
Old 07-02-22, 02:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
It can't be stuck if it's liquid
I am curious as to (1) the material of the frame and the seatpost, and (2) how the composition that is liquifying the seatpost does not also damage the frame?
Old 07-02-22, 03:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Iride01
Sometimes I find myself wishing I could try out such things. However I've never had a stuck seat post or stuck quill in my steerer tube that a rap with a hammer wouldn't cure.

Oh woe is me!

Pretty frame color. What groupset is going back on it?
I have a bunch of left-over Ultegra 6800 stuff from various projects. I also have some Velo Orange 11 speed downtube shifters & a set of Shimano aero brake levers that haven't see a bike in a while....In short, I haven't really quite decided yet.

The whole project is contingent upon satisfactory results from the alignment table. This frame was dumped at our Co-Op so bent the wheel was binding in one chainstay, & the crank arm binding on the other. So this whole project really is just for the challenge & for the gamble.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am curious as to (1) the material of the frame and the seatpost, and (2) how the composition that is liquifying the seatpost does not also damage the frame?
The frame set is steel. Not sure what kind. Probably nothing impressive, but "good enough."
The seatpost was a Thompson that was evidently never greased before being put out to pasture where by the frame filled with water & subsequent freeze/thaw cycles pushed out all the chainstay shaping & tire clearance dimple.

Nothing is cracked. So I think some judicious use of some wooden blocks & clamps might return the chainstay to original form.

The bubbling cauldron-of-doom you see here, is powered by Potassium Hydroxide & tap water. My wife only makes soap as a hobby now. But, her business has been shut down for a few years. The Potassium Hydroxide was a mis-ship from a supplier that had been collecting dust in storage. So, I figured this was as good a' use as any.

(For general info: Potassium Hydroxide is usually used for liquid soap like dish or hands. Sodium Hydroxide is usually used for solid bar soap.)

Steel doesn't much react to strong bases in the way that Aluminum does. Just another way "steel is real."

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-02-22, 05:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The bubbling cauldron-of-doom you see here, is powered by Potassium Hydroxide & tap water.
Steel doesn't much react to strong bases in the way that Aluminum does. Just another way "steel is real."
I see! I [probably] had a steel bike in my childhood, but that was before I learned any chemistry.
Old 07-03-22, 08:55 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
The caustic residue running down the seat tube and stays will eat the paint up, Kind of takes constant washing down of the frame to keep the paint from being destroyed. HTH, MH
Old 07-04-22, 01:12 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Thompson seat posts are formed with the unnecessary material on either side removed.

Fortunately, the caustic soda/potash solution made quick work of the thinner areas. To get a nub to grab on to I cut the seat post down the seat stay slot & folded in either side of the cut. This allowed for easy removal by means of vice-grips attached to the tiny nub of overlap & light taps in the outward direction with a hammer.

SUCCESS!
Stuck seatpost success! by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Grease your seat post.

Last edited by base2; 07-04-22 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-05-22, 08:17 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Impressive.

Next time try a shaped charge
Old 10-19-22, 09:58 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I just saw this on Instagram and had to share it. Use a hydraulic lifter/stacker to pull the stuck Seatpost out!

Hydraulic lifter

Or is that an electric lifter/stacker?
Likes For momoman:
Old 10-20-22, 11:44 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
I assumed from the title that you melted it out, rather than dissolving it. Dissolving appears to be much kinder to the paint. :-)