Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

patching a sidewall?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

patching a sidewall?

Old 05-15-22, 03:38 PM
sbslider

Bikes: 2011 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
patching a sidewall?

I have a GP5000 with a ~1/4" cut in the sidewall where a brake rubbed up against the casing. I was able to limp home with some tape covering the hole and reduced tire pressure. Lots of life left in the tread, but not sure its salvageable.

I've done a bit of searching and seen similar questions, and answers with "do you value your tire or your collarbone more" and such. Not super interested in those responses, but if you feel the need . . . .

Can one patch a clincher road tire? It tried with tube patches, guess I got the expected result being that it doesn't work. Are the patches for the inside of a tire that are for more than emergency use? I thought I read something about reinforced tire patches, but haven't found much else. With the price of tires, and my normal riding being commuting, and now on a bike with disc brakes, wondering if there's a way to salvage the tire.
Old 05-15-22, 03:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to post a picture of the cut with this question, unfortunately I think you are probably going to get the same answers as what your search results yielded.

Old 05-15-22, 04:06 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good question, below is a picture. Do the mythical

tire patch foil visible through the tire above my finger.
reinforced tire patches actually exist?
Likes For sbslider:
Old 05-15-22, 04:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Can one boot a tire? Sure. But the closer the cut is to the bead the less able the boot will work. I suggest replacing the tire. Maybe save it for a trainer stand one and practice tire booing. Andy
Old 05-15-22, 04:16 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I like to save any tire I can and currently riding a GP5000 with a booted sidewall cut but even I would not trust OP's tire. Too much sidewall damage in a larger area than just that one cut.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-15-22 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-15-22, 04:27 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
IMHO, that cut just looks to be the worst of the damage. The sidewall is damaged far past the cut and I assume all around the tire. I'd bite the bullet and trash it unless you have a trainer and do as suggested above.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-15-22, 04:47 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The damage was partly due to a rim that's not round. The damage is isolated to the area in the picture. Agreed that the damage is more than just the area where the foil is visible. The picture above is tire inflated to 70 psi, I typically would ride closer to 100 in the back, where this tire would go.

So far I'm hearing what I sort of expected, except no one yet has mentioned patching the tire, it that is even possible, with the so far mythical reinforced tire patch. I have put a boot on other tires that had different sort of damage, and rode for quite some time. IIRC I used part of an aluminum can then tape around it, That worked surprisingly well, but it was on the tread, not the sidewall.
Old 05-15-22, 04:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Neither fixable nor rideable, IMO
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-15-22, 05:08 PM
bicyclemayhem

Bikes: too many lol

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Neither fixable nor rideable, IMO
Agreed, that looks destined for the garbage unfortunately.
Old 05-15-22, 05:20 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by sbslider
So far I'm hearing what I sort of expected, except no one yet has mentioned patching the tire, it that is even possible, with the so far mythical reinforced tire patch. I have put a boot on other tires that had different sort of damage, and rode for quite some time. IIRC I used part of an aluminum can then tape around it, That worked surprisingly well, but it was on the tread, not the sidewall.
I wrote a little tutorial before the photo was posted but changed my opinion to "not bootable" unless an emergency. Too much damage surrounding the cut and longitudinal which is much more likely to keep tearing.
Old 05-15-22, 05:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I have sewn such damage, but the stitch sticks out and is vulnerable. I have used boots. You get temporary results and have to check the situation repeatedly. In the end, as others said, it is not worth it.

After all that, I have to say that I have one tire, with such a damage, that I simply continue riding. It is a heavy duty studded winter tire. You ride it at such a low pressure that the damage is practically irrelevant as the tube pushes with a weak force against the tire.
Old 05-15-22, 08:11 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.rematiptop.com/products/...t-5060160.html

???
Old 05-15-22, 08:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Why would you save that tire? It is done, if you wanted someone to say only what you wanted to hear record yourself and play it back but that tire is done and I wouldn't want you to get hurt just to save a few bucks. Yes products exist but they are generally temporary things to get home with. Yes GP5000s are fine tires and cost money but a damaged tire like that has probably long been over and if you are dying to use the tire make a belt out of it or some sort of other project or do as others have said and use it for a trainer.
Old 05-15-22, 09:06 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts

Nope. The sidewall flexes too much for a patch to reliably hold there. And your puncture is right along the bead, so there isn't enough tire to glue a patch to, even if it would hold. Which it won't.

Call this experience a mid-priced lesson to keep an eye on where your brake pads sit on the rim.

Last edited by Rolla; 05-15-22 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 09:20 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
...tyres are consumables. Be happy you got what use out of it you did. I hit a big piece of broken glass coming out of a blind curve on the MUP here, flatted instantly, and had to toss a Vittoria Rubino Pro that was almost as costly as yours. The tyre had 8 miles on it. It just happens sometimes.
Old 05-15-22, 09:24 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why would you save that tire? It is done, if you wanted someone to say only what you wanted to hear record yourself and play it back but that tire is done and I wouldn't want you to get hurt just to save a few bucks.
I came with a question, is there a patch for the inside of a tire. I gave some background info, included a picture eventually. I got lots of reasons why I shouldn't save the tire, but didn't get an answer regarding patches. Eventually I dug around for awhile longer and found a product that I thought might be applicable. That was my previous post.

Yes products exist but they are generally temporary things to get home with. Yes GP5000s are fine tires and cost money but a damaged tire like that has probably long been over and if you are dying to use the tire make a belt out of it or some sort of other project or do as others have said and use it for a trainer.
Hmm, make a belt out of it, interesting thought I suppose.

So, I'll try to ask a clear question, as my last point was definitely not clear. I appreciate that sidewalls are critical, actually the whole tire is critical, in terms of not having a blowout. It seems that a reputable company sells patches for tires, so I'm thinking some folks purchase this product and use it on tires. Is that exclusively on the rolling surface? For holes less than 1mm? In this post the OP showed a picture of a repaired tire that looked similar in size to what I have. So it appears possible.

From the OP,
Can one patch a clincher road tire?
A couple posters were clear in their answers, don't try, throw it way. Other answers were regarding using a boot, which I agree is not going to work. Were some posters referring to fixing with a boot when they said don't try? I don't know, as their was not detail in the answer, or personal experience shared.

I sort of thought that I could POSSIBLY patch my tire and be on my merry way, but wasn't sure what patch to use. I thought maybe I found that? Granted the other post, the hole is in the tread, not on the sidewall. Being inexperienced in these things, I thought this could be a place to get advice. Advice based on personal experience that is shared with me. Perhaps I was wrong.

I do appreciate the responses thus far, just wish there were a bit more behind them beside, make a belt.
Old 05-15-22, 09:25 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Nope. The sidewall flexes too much for a patch to reliably hold there. And your puncture is right along the bead, so there isn't enough tire to glue a patch to, even if it would hold. Which it won't.

Call this experience a mid-priced lesson to keep an eye on where your brake pads sit on the rim.
Here's the answer I was looking for! Thanks so much, I think our posts crossed in the Ether . . . .
Likes For sbslider:
Old 05-15-22, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
I came with a question, is there a patch for the inside of a tire. I gave some background info, included a picture eventually. I got lots of reasons why I shouldn't save the tire, but didn't get an answer regarding patches. Eventually I dug around for awhile longer and found a product that I thought might be applicable. That was my previous post.

Hmm, make a belt out of it, interesting thought I suppose.

So, I'll try to ask a clear question, as my last point was definitely not clear. I appreciate that sidewalls are critical, actually the whole tire is critical, in terms of not having a blowout. It seems that a reputable company sells patches for tires, so I'm thinking some folks purchase this product and use it on tires. Is that exclusively on the rolling surface? For holes less than 1mm? In this post the OP showed a picture of a repaired tire that looked similar in size to what I have. So it appears possible.

From the OP,

A couple posters were clear in their answers, don't try, throw it way. Other answers were regarding using a boot, which I agree is not going to work. Were some posters referring to fixing with a boot when they said don't try? I don't know, as their was not detail in the answer, or personal experience shared.

I sort of thought that I could POSSIBLY patch my tire and be on my merry way, but wasn't sure what patch to use. I thought maybe I found that? Granted the other post, the hole is in the tread, not on the sidewall. Being inexperienced in these things, I thought this could be a place to get advice. Advice based on personal experience that is shared with me. Perhaps I was wrong.

I do appreciate the responses thus far, just wish there were a bit more behind them beside, make a belt.
I get all of that but the tire is done for. That is why I said make a belt, it allows you to use the tire in a critical role (keeping your buttocks from sticking out) but allows for damaged sidewalls which are more damaged than just the hole you want to patch.

Too often people want to squeeze every last Zimbabwean dollar out of every item and it just isn't worth it. Maybe patching tread would be something to consider to use temporarily to get home or get by as you cannot find tires at your local shop or something but I would rather just get something new and reliable so I don't get stuck out somewhere or worse get into a crash. Tires are cheap compared to hospital visits or having to fix other damaged parts of the bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-22, 10:36 PM
sbslider

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Too often people want to squeeze every last Zimbabwean dollar out of every item and it just isn't worth it. Maybe patching tread would be something to consider to use temporarily to get home or get by as you cannot find tires at your local shop or something but I would rather just get something new and reliable so I don't get stuck out somewhere or worse get into a crash. Tires are cheap compared to hospital visits or having to fix other damaged parts of the bike.
Agreed, pennywise and pound foolish, or maybe pound of flesh foolish in this case.
Likes For sbslider:
Old 05-16-22, 06:30 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Being inexperienced in these things, I thought this could be a place to get advice. Advice based on personal experience that is shared with me. Perhaps I was wrong.

Seems to me you got a ton of good advice--but perhaps some of it was simply advice that you didn't want to hear.

I'm not going to say "unfortunately," because it is what it is: Cycling at this level is not for the cheap. The bikes and parts cost lots of money. It's just the way it is.
Old 05-16-22, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I'd change the tire. I generally will only live with a cut on the tread. Sidewalls are very thin so they don't give a harsh ride. So they don't have much additional structure for when they get compromised.

But I wouldn't fear for my life if I continued to ride it. And I have ridden many a tire with compromised sidewalls just to see what happens. But you need to consider how far you ride from home or where ever you have to get back to. If you ride with others, you might get a bad reputation if your flat slows everyone down or holds them up.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-16-22, 09:23 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
I know that if you get a cut or puncture through the sidewall of a automobile, or motorcycle tire, no dealer or service center will touch it. Using common sense would lead me to think bicycle tires would be similar, but who knows, why not just put a patch on it and get back to us. I for one, am curios to see how it works out, especially on a high speed descent.
Tim
Old 05-16-22, 10:04 AM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This tire must be many years old. Look at the entire sidewall and you see many more of those splits developing. You would have to boot the entire tire....

I don't think what you point at is a cut, this just tore apart from being so fragile at this point.

I would have replaced it without that large tear developing just based on how the rest looks like.
Old 05-16-22, 10:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
The damage was partly due to a rim that's not round. .
Might want to correct that if possible. Could lead to a repeat of the same problem
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-16-22, 10:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
When in doubt, it's best to aim sidepull/centerpull brake pads a little lower on the rim, since they will tend to hit higher up as they wear. If you can't fix this wheel, or it's as good as you can get it, use the low spot for setting up the brakes.

(Of course it's different for cantis, but I doubt that's what you have.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.