Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing bikes outside?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Storing bikes outside?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 01:13 PM
Crake

Bikes: TBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Storing bikes outside?

In my teen years I'd buy a <$100 bike in the summer, keep it outside 24/7, and get a new one every 1-2 years.

Fast fwd 20 years later Ive only ever kept our bikes in a temperature-controlled garage. The garage is also my work shop, it's become a huge PIA to take them outside every time I'm doing any DIY projects or just need to access a tool on that side of the room, which is at least once a day in the summer. Even with those precautions, the bikes still get enough residual saw dust to require weekly cleaning... its a huge PIA.

TLDR... I want to store the bikes outside, under a canopy(gazebo) during July and August.

What sort of effects, (and how bad), would it be to store bikes outside during the hot months. If there is an impact, is there anything practical measures I can take to keep them in good condition without bringing them in?
Old 07-02-22, 01:48 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
You say canopy. Tires damaged from the sun and humidity or rain damage.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-02-22, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Well you do what you have to do... or want to do.

Once you rid yourself that theft in your neighborhood won't be an issue, then the only other thing I imagine will be at issue is corrosion or rust. For that I'd tell you the same as any that keep their bike inside and still have that issue. Keep your bike as clean an dry as you can so corrosion and rust don't start. If it gets wet, put a box fan in front of it so the air dries it quickly. Spray the unpainted metal parts with a light lube or other petroleum based preservative.

Still, I don't even keep my best bikes in the garage. I take them inside the house with me. Much easier to walk out the door with my bike, everything else and just hop on the bike as I exit the door of the house.

If space in the house were an issue, I might have to put my wife in a tent or gazebo outside! (just joking... don't ever tell her I said this) <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 07-02-22 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-02-22, 03:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Crake
What sort of effects, (and how bad), would it be to store bikes outside during the hot months.
(putting on mechanical engineer hat)

I doubt the heat itself will affect the bike in any way.

Sunlight and ozone will kill rubber and some plastics, and high humidity will accelerate corrosion.

If you keep the bikes dry and out of direct sunlight, you probably won't see any damage.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-03-22 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo in quote
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-02-22, 05:23 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You can get a pretty decent sized shed at Costco for not too much $.
Old 07-02-22, 05:44 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Outside? I don't even ride my bikes outside!

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 07-02-22, 09:13 PM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
(putting on mechanical engineer hat)

I doubt the heat itself will affect the bike in any way.

Sunlight and ozone will kill rubber and some plastics, and high humidity will accelerate corrosion.

If you keep the bikes dry and out of direct sunlight, you probably won't see any damage.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well you do what you have to do... or want to do.

Once you rid yourself that theft in your neighborhood won't be an issue, then the only other thing I imagine will be at issue is corrosion or rust. For that I'd tell you the same as any that keep their bike inside and still have that issue. Keep your bike as clean an dry as you can so corrosion and rust don't start. If it gets wet, put a box fan in front of it so the air dries it quickly. Spray the unpainted metal parts with a light lube or other petroleum based preservative.

Still, I don't even keep my best bikes in the garage. I take them inside the house with me. Much easier to walk out the door with my bike, everything else and just hop on the bike as I exit the door of the house.

If space in the house were an issue, I might have to put my wife in a tent or gazebo outside! (just joking... don't ever tell her I said this) <grin>
Originally Posted by Rick
To clarify, it's only the humidity I'm concerned about, if its going to rain for a couple of days in a row, I'd bring the bikes in. The canopy is 12'x12' over a raised concrete slab and against one wall of the house, no part of it gets direct sunlight or direct rain. and it wouldn't ever be in a pool of water. Our backyard is harder to break into than the garage, so theft is not an issue either.

I think it would be fine but I don't have a clue how fluctuating relative humidity and temp. effect bike parts.

I live in the suburbs outside NYC, so roughly avg summer days 65-90°F through the day with humidity swinging from 60% to 85% relative humidity...
Old 07-02-22, 09:49 PM
Crake

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You can get a pretty decent sized shed at Costco for not too much $.
Ive been on the look out for bike locker. Something insulated 8'x5' x 4' tall for a couple hundred bucks. Not easy to find, one day I'll build by own.
Likes For Crake:
Old 07-03-22, 12:25 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I live in the suburbs outside NYC, so roughly avg summer days 65-90°F through the day with humidity swinging from 60% to 85% relative humidity...
If it’s not condensing humidity, where you find dew covering the bike in the morning, I think you’ll be fine.

Old 07-03-22, 02:43 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The fluctuating heat alone can damage the rubber and plastic parts even if there is absolutely no UV exposure

I have stuff in the attic where it gets really hot in the noon so the temperature fluctuates quite a bit. The plastic and rubber things became brittle after a time.

If using shed to store bike, make sure it doesn't get hot inside. Temperature must be kept at room temperature as much as possible. Heat is worse than humidity. Ofc, direct exposure to rain is still worse
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-03-22, 08:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by koala logs
The fluctuating heat alone can damage the rubber and plastic parts even if there is absolutely no UV exposure
I doubt temperature is going to degrade rubber or plastic on a bicycle by any significant amount.

Consider a car’s passenger compartment, filled with rubber and plastic components, sitting for thousands of hours in the sun over its lifetime. It gets quite hot in the passenger compartment, yet the parts don’t fall apart. The dashboard may crack, but I submit that’s due to UV from direct sunlight, not high temperature.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-03-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-03-22, 10:00 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
How about soring in one of these bags:
Amazon.com: Team Obsidian: Bike Covers | Styles - Outdoor Storage or Transportation/Travel | Waterproof, Heavy Duty, 600D, 300D, or 210D Oxford Ripstop Materials | Sizes L, XL, XXL for 1,2 or 3 bikes | Offers Constant Protection Through All 4 Seasons For All Bicycles On Or Off The Rack : Everything Else
Old 07-03-22, 11:09 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 278 Posts
Tough Shed
Old 07-03-22, 11:21 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I doubt temperature is going to degrade rubber or plastic on a bicycle by any significant amount.

Consider a car’s passenger compartment, filled with rubber and plastic components, sitting for thousands of hours in the sun over its lifetime. It gets quite hot in the passenger compartment, yet the parts don’t fall apart. The dashboard may crack, but I submit that’s due to UV from direct sunlight, not high temperature.
Perhaps, it's the combination of heat and ozone. Our attic is well ventilated and we live in the city. Ozone can definitely get in there. I suppose if ozone pollution is negligible, a shed would work just fine.

I've noticed in cars that's been mostly used in a city vs a car in the countryside, the city car has more cracks in the tires even if the same age as the tires on the countryside car.
Old 07-04-22, 12:35 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
'
https://www.vevor.com/motorcycle-she...iABEgI1dfD_BwE
'
'

Old 07-04-22, 01:31 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Must not be any bike thieves in your part of the country!
Old 07-04-22, 06:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I built a canopy in the back corner of my yard to store a few bikes. For instance the winter bikes go back there during the summer, to get them out of the way. It's not weather proof by any means. The main deterioration that I've noticed is that plant matter such as pollen from the surrounding trees sticks to them, so they tend to get dirty, but are otherwise un-damaged and easy to clean up.

I've always believed that bikes are a lot less delicate than people tend to think. On the other hand, direct sunlight damages paints and plastics, as does extreme heat.

I think if you're under an awning, you should be OK. You could always drape something like an old sheet over them. It doesn't have to be waterproof.

I'm in a neighborhood where I don't worry about thieves, and if they wanted my bike, they'd have to bring an angle grinder to cut through... the weeds.
Old 07-05-22, 06:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
As long as they do not get wet or stolen, it will be fine.

However, I would be very hesitant to drape anything over them. Anything that will keep the water out can also trap moisture in.

Of course, I don’t know where you live or what the weather is like. If you’re in a dry climate, it’s probably not an issue. But if you live somewhere that it is humid and wet then I would worry about it.
Old 07-05-22, 06:54 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
You can get tents designed to store bikes. Not exactly secure but they'll keep the elements off.

Or at least just throw some covers over the bikes in the garage to keep the sawdust off. Have you got the height to store them hanging from the ceiling?
Old 07-05-22, 07:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Is sawdust even much of a problem?

I’ve got my bikes (road/gravel, commuter, and MTBs) in my garage and I do some sawing in there. The bikes are not in the line of sawdust ejection, but occasionally get a fine dusting. Never had any problems. I don’t use sticky chain lubes, though.
Old 07-05-22, 07:21 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
You can't hang them in the garage? I miss my gabled roof on the garage at my previous house. I still hang the bikes from the garage beams on the side of the garage. I was even thinking of hanging the wheels off two hooks, then using a pulley to jack it up flat against the roof from around the BB.
Old 07-05-22, 08:33 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I kept my Raleigh outside one Summer and it caused rust long-term. Had to repaint it, and it was not nearly as pretty. Not recommended if you care about appearance. Even under cover there's a lot of exposure to moisture, morning dew, blowing rain...
Old 07-05-22, 11:01 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
TLDR... I want to store the bikes outside, under a canopy(gazebo) during July and August.
Is there a way to hand the bike up under this canopy? That way you minimize the exposure to sun and rain.
Old 07-05-22, 12:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I would not store my bikes Outside if possible. I would suggest finding a better way to store your bikes in the garage. Hanging them from the ceiling gets ya more floor space and throwing an old cotton sheet over them really helps cut down on the saw dust they collect.
Old 07-05-22, 08:30 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Use Fluid Film on the critical parts of bikes that are kept outside, and that goes for cars and motorcycles too. If you live in an efficiency on the ground-floor keep your bike outside a window if you have it and run some fishing line from the bike through a barely cracked window to something that will fall off a table and wake you up if someone tries messing with the bike or it's lock. Also of course it helps to wax the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.