Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GoPro stabilization settings

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 08:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

anyone want to share their GoPro specific model & go-to stability setting?

been looking at these cameras online. at some point I may switch to that brand. right now my cams are simple & durable & I like that. I also have all my mounts worked out. also make .mov files which are easy to import into my MAC iMovie program. I dislike fussing w/ menus, options & having to deal w/ a whole new set of mounts & converting file formats would be a deal breaker

however, I am attracted to digital image stabilization. right now I have zero. so any would be a step up. most of my video is acceptable to me, but some I have to just delete & that's disappointing

reading about GoPro's diff. settings & watching youtubers talk about their best practices, I see that not everyone cranks up the stabilization as high as it will go, due to compromises in exchange for the stability

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-16-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 10:19 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I've only used a GoPro Hero 9. I record at 4K, 30FPS in linear mode with horizon leveling on. My stabilization is on Hypersmooth Boost. I think I will go down to 2K, though, as these 4K movies take a long time to process.

I've tried recording on Wide but there's no horizon leveling. The video rocks back and forth without the horizon leveling and it was making me nauseated. I use the Rouvy virtual cycling platform, and some people prefer the horizon leveling off which gives a more real bike feel. However, the cyclists who record those routes from their bike are extremely strong cyclists, and can ride up hills without rocking their bikes. Not me.

Anyway, here's a sample clip from my camera using the same setting on 3 different rides. The first clip is being recorded around 5:45am so it's actually pretty dark outside. You can see the GoPro does a pretty good job of bumping up the light. However, this stretch of road isn't very smooth, and it shows the GoPro's image stabilization isn't the best in low light. In the middle clip we've slowed down to around 15mph to cross a bridge but the video stays stable going across bumps. In the final clip, we are flying down a long descent. I hit 47mph on this stretch. The road is pretty smooth and the video isn't jittery at all. The road is actually windier than it seems, but the horizon leveling takes some of that effect away. Towards the end you do see a few bumps in the video as I roll over the road reflectors as I pass my friend.

Paul

Last edited by pennpaul; 02-16-22 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 02-17-22, 08:02 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use a GoPro 10. Stabilization works well for me. I use the camera as a handheld which helps take some of the vibration out of the video. For long rides I use a Drift Ghost XL camera mounted below my outfront computer mount. The Drift has a much longer battery life. The Drift video doesn't have as much stabilization but enough.
The GoPro out of the package settings work well for my usage. This link shows my last ride with the GoPro.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 02-17-22, 09:17 AM
pennpaul

Originally Posted by texbiker
The GoPro out of the package settings work well for my usage. This link shows my last ride with the GoPro
Are you using a separate mic or is the audio from the GoPro? It sounds pretty clear when you're narrating. About how close are you holding it from you?
Old 02-17-22, 09:41 AM
texbiker

I use the GoPro Media Mod housing mic without the foam cover. Most shots are with my arm extended. The Media Mod mic is pretty sensitive.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 02-17-22, 10:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I've only used a GoPro Hero 9. I record at 4K, 30FPS in linear mode with horizon leveling on. My stabilization is on Hypersmooth Boost. I think I will go down to 2K, though, as these 4K movies take a long time to process
thank you. I've given up on mounting my camera on the bars due to the micro vibrations, but your vids don't exhibit that
Old 02-17-22, 10:24 AM
rumrunn6

I use a GoPro 10. Stabilization works well for me. I use the camera as a handheld which helps take some of the vibration out of the video. For long rides I use a Drift Ghost XL camera mounted below my outfront computer mount. The Drift has a much longer battery life. The Drift video doesn't have as much stabilization but enough.
thank you I did not know the drift had stabilization. you are a human gimble, eh?
Old 02-17-22, 10:46 AM
texbiker

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thank you I did not know the drift had stabilization. you are a human gimble, eh?
I guess I'm that. Hadn't thought of it. I go handheld because it lets me point the GoPro where I want.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 02-17-22, 11:48 AM
pennpaul

thank you. I've given up on mounting my camera on the bars due to the micro vibrations, but your vids don't exhibit that
Nope. If you can't already tell, I am very impressed by the GoPro's stabilization.

I use this Bar Fly out-front mount. It's compatible with a ton of head units and includes the GoPro mount underneath. You do need to crank down the mounting screw on the GoPro, though. On that last descent, the vibrations tipped the camera downwards (I didn't notice), and I ended up filming my front tire and road for the remaining 45min. I was not happy, but user error.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRHYT74...roduct_details
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 02-17-22, 03:48 PM
rumrunn6

great info thank you
the weight of the camera doesn't weigh down that arm? & slowly rotate it's view? with mine I always had to stand it up w/ the weight straight down to the bars at a 90 degree angle

imagine this light is my camera

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-17-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 03:58 PM
rumrunn6

I guess I'm that. Hadn't thought of it. I go handheld because it lets me point the GoPro where I want.
oh yeah totally agree. but that means you might be riding one-handed. sometimes ok, sometimes not so much. ever try a camera stick?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-18-22 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-17-22, 04:29 PM
texbiker

I shoot short clips so not riding one handed for long. I tried a selfie stick but it makes the camera to bulky to put in my jersey pocket which I do with just the GoPro.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 02-17-22, 04:47 PM
pennpaul

great info thank you
the weight of the camera doesn't weigh down that arm? & slowly rotate it's view?
I have not noticed that it does. If it did, I would see that my bike computer would also be rotating away from me. That middle clip (in the YouTube) with my 2 friends in front crossing a bridge was a 2hr ride I recorded. The road was smooth, but neither the camera or mount moved a miilimeter. Same story with the first clip on the initially bumpy road. That was a 1hr ride--mount didn't budge.

I didn't have the GoPro tightened enough on my last ride, though, and the GoPro did rotate in the mount, but the mount did not rotate on the handlebar.

I bought a spare battery door for my GoPro off eBay. It keeps your GoPro battery locked inside, but has a small opening for a USB-C cable. On long rides, I run a USB-C cable from the GoPro to a battery pack in my toptube bag. Gives me hours of battery life. Of course, the GoPro isn't waterproof with this spare door.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 02-18-22, 04:37 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I didn't have the GoPro tightened enough on my last ride, though, and the GoPro did rotate in the mount, but the mount did not rotate on the handlebar.I bought a spare battery door for my GoPro off eBay. It keeps your GoPro battery locked inside, but has a small opening for a USB-C cable. On long rides, I run a USB-C cable from the GoPro to a battery pack in my toptube bag. Gives me hours of battery life. Of course, the GoPro isn't waterproof with this spare door.
ok got it thank you.
Old 02-18-22, 04:42 AM
rumrunn6

I shoot short clips so not riding one handed for long. I tried a selfie stick but it makes the camera to bulky to put in my jersey pocket which I do with just the GoPro.
ok thank you I get it. it's good to have the camera free for grabbing certain clips. I like to have 1 cam on my helmet & one in a pocket. mine are cheap enough so I can have more than one. I'm thinking I would still use mine for some things but use the GoPro as the main mounted on bars or helmet
Old 02-18-22, 01:56 PM
rumrunn6

thank you for the input guys. just pulled the trigger on an older model (8) & I'm planning on super-gluing my current mount on the bottom. no problem solving required. if it's a mistake I'll rip it off & replace the little folding fingers. I'm sure this is sending me down a rabbit hole, but then I've always been a small risk taker