Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for High Volume - High Instep - High Arch - Medium/Wide Cycling Shoe Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for High Volume - High Instep - High Arch - Medium/Wide Cycling Shoe Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 09:46 AM
JayhawkNavy02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looking for Medium Volume - High Instep - High Arch - Medium/Wide Cycling Shoe Help

Team Bike Forum,

Appreciate any insight in to a narrow heel, wide toe box, high volume, high arch road shoe.

I don't race but I do routinely ride 30 - 50 miles and have done some century rides. The only lasting effect was painful feet from the century ride on my arch and during I had numbness and pain in the metatarsal area. I do have a fit schedule in August, but trying to get my feet right in the interim while I wait for a fit.

I have tried just about every shoe brand I could find except Lake, Bont and Fizik, which aren't available locally. The best fit I found was the Specialized Torch 3.0, however the 46.5 is too small, the 47 a little too large. Worst case I'll go with the 47 and add an insert.

Foot length is 290 mm (with sock) not leaning forward (46.5 to 47 / 12.0 - 12.5) for sizing properly based on Lake's recommendation, with a 112/113mm width in socks (113/114mm width for last. I used the Bont sizing system, which is bare foot and you lean forward and it produced 295/6 length and 113/114 mm width.

I find the larger sizes have more space in the toe box, but generally because of a narrow heel, I get a lot of movement and don't like them.

Thinking of trying the Bont Vaypor+, Bontrager Velocis Road, and the Lake Offerings (waiting on their customer service to respond back as to which shoe would work best).

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 05-29-22 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 10:52 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned but have you looked at the Giro High Volume (HV) options? Something like the Giro Empire HV comes with a set of insoles that you can change the arch support height.

Fizik shoes is also quite roomy in the toe box and is built on D width sole.
Old 05-27-22, 01:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02
Lake Offerings (waiting on their customer service to respond back as to which shoe would work best).
They have a measurement and fit guide for their various lasts - that worked well for me, after years of looking for the right shoes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-27-22, 01:54 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Have you tried insoles? Superfeet, etc. You may just need to swap out your existing insoles for some that address high-arch high volume (like the superfeet orange or green?)

I have AAA width feet, which require a narrow heel cup -- I like my Giro's and I've had Spiuk and Sidi. Loved my Sidi's (but couldn't swallow the replacement cost -- I'd bought them before kids). As another "hard-to-find-shoes-just-right" rider, I highly recommend insoles.
Old 05-27-22, 03:00 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Have you tried insoles? Superfeet, etc. You may just need to swap out your existing insoles for some that address high-arch high volume (like the superfeet orange or green?). I have AAA width feet, which require a narrow heel cup -- I like my Giro's and I've had Spiuk and Sidi. Loved my Sidi's (but couldn't swallow the replacement cost -- I'd bought them before kids). As another "hard-to-find-shoes-just-right" rider, I highly recommend insoles.
Definite option. The Specialized Torch 3.0s seem to fit me best so far, but I need to move up to a 47 from the 46.5. My toes are touching the end of the shoes during hard riding (uphill), but not at rest. I didn't have any pain in the end of my toes after riding (even 100 miles). At rest my toes don't touch, but when I start to power down they'll contact the front of the shoe. I think stepping up a 1/2 size should give the inserts room, but not sure how it would affect the fit of the current shoe if I threw a set in to support the high arches.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
They have a measurement and fit guide for their various lasts - that worked well for me, after years of looking for the right shoes.
The minor problem is that if you go to the website for current offerings at: https://www.lakecycling.com/collections/road the sizing chart is also not up to date at: https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

Shoes available in my size from Lake Cycling are the CX 177, CX 201, CX 219, CX 238, CX 241, CX 302, CX 332 and CX 403. It looks like the CX 177, and CX 219, and CX 302 are updates to the previous versions (CX176, CX219, and CX301). I"m not sure if the fit is the same. I think the 301/332/402 due to the tighter heel, which I have trouble with when I move up to the 47s.

CX 176 (wide) is a little wide - single BOA - Sport Last
CX 201 (regular) exact fit - single BOA - Comfort Plus Last
CX 301 (wide) exact fit - Race Last
CX 332 (wide) exact fit - Race Last
CX 402 (wide) exact fit - Race Last

Originally Posted by oris
I didn't see it mentioned but have you looked at the Giro High Volume (HV) options? Something like the Giro Empire HV comes with a set of insoles that you can change the arch support height. Fizik shoes is also quite roomy in the toe box and is built on D width sole.
Neither! Thanks for the heads up. I’ll give them a look. I found the Empire and Savix, but only the Savix has the BOA system. If I'm missing something please let me know. My google fu may be weak. Checking out the Fizik as well.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 05-27-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-27-22, 03:05 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I have wide forefeet and I'm really liking the latest range of "wide fit" Fizik shoes. I have both the mid-range Overcurve R4 Wide and the high-end Infinito Carbon 2 Wide. Both are very comfortable and I use them with Specialized Green (high arch) insoles.

For ref my bare foot length is 281, width 112 and I have these shoes in size 44.5. You would likely be 45.5/46.0 and borderline standard/wide fit. I find that the heels are relatively narrow, which suits my feet.
Old 05-27-22, 05:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
The minor problem is that if you go to the website for current offerings at: https://www.lakecycling.com/collections/road the sizing chart is also not up to date at: https://www.lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-chart

Shoes available in my size from Lake Cycling are the CX 177, CX 201, CX 219, CX 238, CX 241, CX 302, CX 332 and CX 403. It looks like the CX 177, and CX 219, and CX 302 are updates to the previous versions (CX176, CX219, and CX301). I"m not sure if the fit is the same. I think the 301/332/402 due to the tighter heel, which I have trouble with when I move up to the 47s.

CX 176 (wide) is a little wide - single BOA - Sport Last
CX 201 (regular) exact fit - single BOA - Comfort Plus Last
CX 301 (wide) exact fit - Race Last
CX 332 (wide) exact fit - Race Last
CX 402 (wide) exact fit - Race Last

Just reference the name/type of last used. I wear discontinued 237s - Competition Last - so all current models that use that last should fit the same.
Old 05-29-22, 08:56 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So looks like the following options are good to go.

Bont measurements for me are 113/114 W & 295/6 L
Lake measurements for me are 112 W & 290 L (+5 for last)

fi'zi:k Vento Infinito Carbon 2 ($359) - 46 (maybe 46.5) - Regular
Lake CX 302 ($369) 46.5 (maybe 47) - Wide
Lake CX 332 ($449) 46.5 (maybe 47) - Wide
Lake CX 403 ($549) 46.5 (maybe 47) - Wide
Bont Vaypor+ ($499) 47 - Standard

Looks like there is a Lake dealer near me, but no Bont unfortunately.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 05-29-22 at 09:14 PM.
Likes For JayhawkNavy02:
Old 05-31-22, 01:26 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
For what it is worth, I have wide feet and toes, and the Shimano shoes fit me very well. I am currently using the Shimano RC5, and they are super comfortable to me.

Tried some Fizik shoes, and they were way too narrow for my wide feet, they hurt my feet after only a short distance and I returned them. If you have wide feet, DON'T bother trying Fizik.
Old 05-31-22, 07:34 AM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome! I have two Fizik shoes heading to the house (free returns) and I'll do the same with the Shimano. So far I've not had great luck with Shimano, but I didn't try the RC5 either.
Old 05-31-22, 09:04 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I'm a big fan of Specialized/S-Works shoes for their larger-than-normal toe box, so that's my usual recommendation when folks ask for a "high volume" cycling shoe. As for the "high instep/high arch" request, Specialized's Body Geometry footbed inserts solve that requirement rather nicely.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-31-22, 06:55 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
For what it is worth, I have wide feet and toes, and the Shimano shoes fit me very well. I am currently using the Shimano RC5, and they are super comfortable to me.
Tried the RC7 and the RC9, they store didn't have the RC5 in stock. I liked the Shimano RC9 the best in a 47. With thick socks and the insert from Specialized (Green +++) they were dang near perfect. They're going to call me when they get a 47 RC5 in stock.

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I'm a big fan of Specialized/S-Works shoes for their larger-than-normal toe box, so that's my usual recommendation when folks ask for a "high volume" cycling shoe. As for the "high instep/high arch" request, Specialized's Body Geometry footbed inserts solve that requirement rather nicely.
They didn't have any in stock, but the Specialized S-Works Torch looks really good. The shape looked like it would support a medium volume (tall) foot better or at least as good as the Shimano and the toe box looked very rounded like the Shimano RC9 as well, with a nice bumper. Similar to the RC5, waiting for a call! Great advice. What I don't like about either is the lack of ability to change the bits/pieces around as they wear like Sidi or Lake. Expensive shoes to be disposable.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 05-31-22 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 09:25 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
They didn't have any in stock, but the Specialized S-Works Torch looks really good. The shape looked like it would support a medium volume (tall) foot better or at least as good as the Shimano and the toe box looked very rounded like the Shimano RC9 as well, with a nice bumper. Similar to the RC5, waiting for a call! Great advice. What I don't like about either is the lack of ability to change the bits/pieces around as they wear like Sidi or Lake. Expensive shoes to be disposable.
I second Bob Ross 's recommendation for Specialized S-Works shoes. I have the Recon's for a few years now. It's a shame you have to buy the body geometry insoles separately when you spend that much on the shoe but it was still worth it. I have feet that are slightly wide and the regular width toe box is super roomy for me. They are super comfortable and mostly disappear on my feet when riding.

You say disposable but they are not fragile shoes. I put the beat down on them on the rocky trails I ride as well as long road rides and the boa dials and everything fits and works like the day I got them. They are scuffed and scratched but not even close to wearing out. I'm going to go SPD-SL on my road bike and I already know I'm going to get the S-Works Torch for my road shoe.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 06-01-22, 05:40 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Same here.

Old 06-01-22, 09:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

Tried some Fizik shoes, and they were way too narrow for my wide feet, they hurt my feet after only a short distance and I returned them. If you have wide feet, DON'T bother trying Fizik.
Fizik now make a whole range of wide shoes. I also happen to have a pair of Shimano RC7 and they are a bit too narrow for my wide feet.
Old 06-05-22, 11:04 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I second Bob Ross 's recommendation for Specialized S-Works shoes. I have the Recon's for a few years now. It's a shame you have to buy the body geometry insoles separately when you spend that much on the shoe but it was still worth it. I have feet that are slightly wide and the regular width toe box is super roomy for me. They are super comfortable and mostly disappear on my feet when riding.

You say disposable but they are not fragile shoes. I put the beat down on them on the rocky trails I ride as well as long road rides and the boa dials and everything fits and works like the day I got them. They are scuffed and scratched but not even close to wearing out. I'm going to go SPD-SL on my road bike and I already know I'm going to get the S-Works Torch for my road shoe.
Awesome! I’m glad to hear they’re durable. I was worried the non-replaceable heel pad would be an issue. That killed my last pair of shoes and didn’t want to repeat on a $400+ pair.

agreed on inserts. It’s nice the Shimano come with them.

Also, got the Fizik (standard), didn’t work and sent them back, I’ll need a wide, but the quality was way below Shimano or the S-works.
Likes For JayhawkNavy02: