Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another huge collection for sale - Long Beach, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another huge collection for sale - Long Beach, CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 11:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If kept from UV, EPS will last a decent amount of time. So, if new in package, in a closet, ok
if actually used... roulette
Sure, but what about the study I posted?

"Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen."

So, inspect the helmet before using. Sounds like common sense, no?

But to be honest, I'd avoid the Vetta, heavy compared to modern helmets, and the new MIPS helmets are significantly better at protecting from a fall. Just not because it's degrading, even after a good inspection.
Old 08-27-22, 12:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
One hour to go: Thanks again Spaghetti Legs
I spent more than I planned for the incomplete 24" Grand Record (Came with LF Record hubs on more or less new Open Pros) so I didn't have enough left for the Red Vetta Helmet It seemed that more people were interested in an equally vast collection of golf stuff. I have no idea about prices on stuff. Cool Var cotter presses and the black Stronglight cranks were very good looking.
Old 08-27-22, 02:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Sure, but what about the study I posted?

"Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen."

So, inspect the helmet before using. Sounds like common sense, no?

But to be honest, I'd avoid the Vetta, heavy compared to modern helmets, and the new MIPS helmets are significantly better at protecting from a fall. Just not because it's degrading, even after a good inspection.
I took a course in plastic materials and processes in college. The professor had a glass roofed set up on the roof of the building for evaluation of UV resistance. There was equipment for UV load and such. Very interesting for casual referencing.
UV inhibitors can be added, they vary depending on resin type and I suspect some would flag a Prop 65 warning now.
learned a lot about the plastics of the day and things that were on the horizon. TPO was a plastic that eventually supplanted PVC for many carmaker's dash covers- less outgassing.
( that white filmy layer that used to contaminate the inside of car windows)
I came away with a few observations.
EPS is not a good coffee cup material- plastic leaching into hot coffee. Does not age really well- esp by UV exposure, silicone is the crack cocaine for plastics engineers- avoid Armor-all or know once you have started, you are married to it. Cross linking is your friend.

the Germans like ABS, Toyota liked polypropylene.
then they discovered "soft touch urethane "
oh dear - armor all that and chem disaster later. First Gen IS300...
Old 08-27-22, 03:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I took a course in plastic materials and processes in college. The professor had a glass roofed set up on the roof of the building for evaluation of UV resistance. There was equipment for UV load and such. Very interesting for casual referencing.
UV inhibitors can be added, they vary depending on resin type and I suspect some would flag a Prop 65 warning now.
learned a lot about the plastics of the day and things that were on the horizon. TPO was a plastic that eventually supplanted PVC for many carmaker's dash covers- less outgassing.
( that white filmy layer that used to contaminate the inside of car windows)
I came away with a few observations.
EPS is not a good coffee cup material- plastic leaching into hot coffee. Does not age really well- esp by UV exposure, silicone is the crack cocaine for plastics engineers- avoid Armor-all or know once you have started, you are married to it. Cross linking is your friend.

the Germans like ABS, Toyota liked polypropylene.
then they discovered "soft touch urethane "
oh dear - armor all that and chem disaster later. First Gen IS300...
Old 08-27-22, 04:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,957 Posts
Wait...so Delrin is bad...?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-27-22, 04:49 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
i will be interested to hear from people who actually went to the yard sale, and to get a first hand report.
if you are sad about not being close to the sale, a lot of this stuff is posted (or has already sold) on ebay, seller maxorfredy02.
i am going to presume there will be more ebay listings in the future.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/maxorfredy02
i went this morning thinking i should limit my spending to around $100. Ended up spending $600. For this amount i left with :
3 sets of barcons (2 campagnolos, 1 zeus),
1 Raleigh International frame and fork, decent condition no dent but with touch-ups under the top tube, WL4 Prefix SN - if someone can confirm it is made in 74, much appreciated.
1 Campagnolo head set tool and bottom bracket wrench
Ideale seat, a couple of cranksets, 1 campagnolo and a triple Specialies.
a few brake parts
a couple water cages for the handle bar
2 bidons (One marked L'eroica (later found out it is made in China )and the other has a faded campagnolo wrapper
1 set of Vittoria tubular
a couple of goose necks one Cinelli and the other marked Peugeout (Have not idea what to do with these but they look cool)
A set of contrasting wheels (front black and rear silver) Campy hub and ambrosio 19. These will go on the Raleigh International.

The kids were very nice and i have no idea what everything is worth. I figured if it helps them out then i'm ok with plunking down the money. I have to say, if i'm more educated i may be able to make a few bucks from this but like i said, i have no idea, said ok to what they asked for.

There were not too many people looking for bike parts, The amount of stuff is overwhelming.
The kids said some bulk buyers are coming on Monday to offer to buy in large lots.

I'll update with photos and other thoughts if i think of any. Excuse the grammar and spelling. Not going to spend too much time proof reading.

The tags, per the daughter was when he went to Eroica CC with a booth for selling vintage partrs.
Thanks
Old 08-27-22, 05:25 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 257 Posts
I spent an hour there at 10am this morning. Came away with a decent haul, $200 lighter in the wallet.
Very nice and fun people. They admitted most of the best stuff sold earlier.
I plan to consolidate a few things bought in multiples to give me one solid item.
My best score was a set of flat QR Nuovo Record brakes. The others might clean up okay.
The deceased collector hoarded way too much Stronglight, Mafac, Zeus, and other uncollectibles, IMO.

Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 08-27-22, 06:08 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
i went this morning thinking i should limit my spending to around $100. Ended up spending $600. For this amount i left with :
1 Raleigh International frame and fork, decent condition no dent but with touch-ups under the top tube, WL4 Prefix SN - if someone can confirm it is made in 74, much appreciated.
a few brake parts
2 bidons (One marked L'eroica (later found out it is made in China )and the other has a faded campagnolo wrapper
a couple of goose necks one Cinelli and the other marked Peugeout (Have not idea what to do with these but they look cool)
A set of contrasting wheels (front black and rear silver) Campy hub and ambrosio 19. These will go on the Raleigh International.

The kids were very nice and i have no idea what everything is worth. I figured if it helps them out then i'm ok with plunking down the money. I have to say, if i'm more educated i may be able to make a few bucks from this but like i said, i have no idea, said ok to what they asked for.

There were not too many people looking for bike parts, The amount of stuff is overwhelming.
The kids said some bulk buyers are coming on Monday to offer to buy in large lots.

I'll update with photos and other thoughts if i think of any. Excuse the grammar and spelling. Not going to spend too much time proof reading.

The tags, per the daughter was when he went to Eroica CC with a booth for selling vintage partrs.
Thanks
Come on, Pics or it didn't happen....

Anyone else have things to show?

Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-27-22, 06:09 PM
xiaoman1 

a few brake parts

Thanks
Come on, Pics or it didn't happen....I mean, how long does it take to shoot a picture with your phone and post that great loot you bought?

Best, Ben

Old 08-27-22, 07:25 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by gugie
that Alfa was too cool.
reads like the event was worth attending

I needed to go to work, I did review the bike room yesterday, my needs are possibly just too specific. The temptation of a great deal would just add to my clutter. Many of the components appeared they led a well used life.
Old 08-27-22, 07:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

that Alfa was too cool.
reads like the event was worth attending

I needed to go to work, I did review the bike room yesterday, my needs are possibly just too specific. The temptation of a great deal would just add to my clutter. Many of the components appeared they led a well used life.
Yeah, I think Alfa Romeo sales skyrocketed after that movie. I'd love to have one of those for summer day driving.

Looks like some members scored. Maybe in the next day or two we'll have more reports.
Old 08-27-22, 08:32 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Come on, Pics or it didn't happen....

Best, Ben
tools

cool stem

Parts to build up the Raleigh International

Are those TA Specialties derirable?
I don't think the brake calipers will work. Read that the International needed long reach Weinman. The Mafac brake levers with the pristine hoods area cool.

Not shown are 2 sets of tires, set of new Zeus skewers and few other consumables, brake pads, cables etc...

Thanks
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 08-27-22, 08:44 PM
xiaoman1 

tools

cool stem

I don't think the brake calipers will work. Read that the International needed long reach Weinman. The Mafac brake levers with the pristine hoods area cool.

Not shown are 2 sets of tires, set of new Zeus skewers and few other consumables, brake pads, cables etc...

Thanks
NICE SCORE!!!!! Raleigh for the WIN!
Best, Ben

Old 08-27-22, 10:02 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts

cool stem

I don't think the brake calipers will work. Read that the International needed long reach Weinman.
My International with the WL4 prefix, which I assume is a '74, uses the Weinmann 610 brakes in front and rear. No need for long reach like my old Gran Sport did.

I like the TTT Record stem, although it's cooler with the original stickers. I wonder if you can buy reproductions?

I gotta ask... did someone hack the brake cable stops off of the top tube? Ouch.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-27-22, 10:16 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My International with the WL4 prefix, which I assume is a '74, uses the Weinmann 610 brakes in front and rear. No need for long reach like my old Gran Sport did.

I like the TTT Record stem, although it's cooler with the original stickers. I wonder if you can buy reproductions?

I gotta ask... did someone hack the brake cable stops off of the top tube? Ouch.

Steve in Peoria
Funny you should mention the cable stops, i'm sitting here looking for brake options to complete this bike and just noticed that the brake cable stops are not there, That explains the two black painted spots on the underside of the TT. I just got into this C&V stuff, it can be enjoyable and frustrated at the same time.
Old 08-27-22, 10:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
Yes on repro stickers.
Old 08-27-22, 10:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

tools

cool stem

Not shown are 2 sets of tires, set of new Zeus skewers and few other consumables, brake pads, cables etc...Thanks
Yes, TA cranks desirable, nice score all the way around.
Old 08-27-22, 10:56 PM
merziac

a few brake parts
Cinelli stem alloy, marking oval or just stamped Cinelli maybe with winged C?

Either is desirable but may need the right bars to go with.
Old 08-27-22, 10:58 PM
merziac

a few brake parts

Goose neck = handlebar stem or just stem, FYI.

Old 08-28-22, 06:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Somehow the steerer is 22.2 and the rear is 130. Tange BB is likely Swiss (35XP1 with a K1)

Replacing my 78 GJ?

Cinelli Giros
Old 08-28-22, 09:44 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

Goose neck = handlebar stem or just stem, FYI.

What? Goose neck is a word. Or two. I read it on craigslist. 😋😉

I've been avoiding this thread, cause I can't buy anything for awhile, lol, but glad a few forum members scored. 👍
Likes For stardognine:
Old 08-28-22, 09:53 AM
repechage

tools

cool stem

Thanks
On the Front the caliper should work, I cannot tell on my phone if those are short or normal reach. For the rear a drop bolt will be needed.

by Eye, those TA cranks appear possibly short like 165, they will be stamped on the back near the spindle port, W indicates English threading, without, metric. Can and often are tapped to English later.
Old 08-28-22, 11:49 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 278 Posts
I always have to wonder what sort of mind sees accumulating bins full of parts with apparently no intended purpose as a good thing.

But that might just be me
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 08-28-22, 01:13 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I always have to wonder what sort of mind sees accumulating bins full of parts with apparently no intended purpose as a good thing.

But that might just be me
Well you're not wrong, but if you have a proper vision it can be invaluable, save time, money and be a heck of a lot of fun.

I spent the last few years going all in on parts, bikes and frames. Some were good deals, some not and some screamin deals.

The last two or three builds I did came together very quickly for having the right parts in stock, some very cool and were sourced at my convenience for far less than they would cost now. Many were bought at bargain prices when stumbled on them along the way.

Sure I have a lot of stuff that may or may not work out but you never know, I bought plenty of things with a build in mind and plenty more that will inspire builds along the way.

It can be and is very satisfying to be looking for a part in the pile, find a different one, have an ah ha moment and put a build together from one or two parts that is better than what you had in mind to begin with.

I love this process, yes it can be a mess, yes I probably have stuff I may never use but it is fantastic when a build comes together without waiting for a part, paying too much or having to rethink the process when you can't find something you really want or need for the project at hand.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-28-22, 01:32 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Looks like the sellers cut no deals! I’m sure the deceased would be proud.

Maybe I’m just out of touch with pricing…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.