Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The "tool that you don't know what it is" thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The "tool that you don't know what it is" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 09:57 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Thank you. I don’t see how this would work and we have a couple of kickstand removers that look entirely different - hinged two part Rube Goldberg that compresses the spring to enable safe disassembly. Can you provide any references or photos as to how our two roller thing works?
Can't remember and never actually used one. Gotta be some Schwinn mechanics around here somewhere.
Old 09-01-22, 01:02 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Can't remember and never actually used one. Gotta be some Schwinn mechanics around here somewhere.
Just one clue and I'm on my way. Thanks.

see Schwinn instructions which is a Schwinn instruction for using the tool I pictured. I would have never figured it out without your nudge. Searched on "Schwinn Kickstand Removal" in Images and there it was. Arcane knowlege.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 09-01-22, 07:50 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
This is a tool (Shimano TL-ST01) to unscrew the retaining nut (for the shifting mechanism) used on Shimano drop-bar shifters since the late 90s. You need to punch/grab-and-lever out the small retaining pin in front of it, then you can use a 5mm hex to unscrew the nut. Once there, you have access to the brake lever (which is probably broken/why you were removing the shifter in the first place). It's compatriot, the small little crinkled pin-looking thing, was to hold the spring in the brake lever while you got it in place.

Modern shifters (and some mountain bike shifters, too) actually use the same nut, but since levers are no longer offered as a separate part, the tool is not in production for purchase. If you happen to have access to one, you can use it to completely disassemble (at your own peril) the shift mechanism.
Likes For wschruba:
Old 09-01-22, 07:50 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Schwinn Kickstand tool

Originally Posted by merziac
Yes, that is definitely a Schwinn Kickstand tool with the two rollers and the nubs on it. The kickstand goes between the rollers and the nubs press on the collar to remove tension from the pin that keeps the collar in place.

We used the Park version in the two Schwinn shops that I worked in. Most Schwinn dealer had mostly Park tools. This tool has similar nubs to press on the collar, however the hinged piece is placed on the other side of the kickstand bracket. Pivoting the handle allows the nubs to press on the collar. When I worked at these dealerships I only used the kickstand tool few times. The Schwinn kickstands hold up pretty good.

Now, I use a box end wrench since I don't have either of these tools. I ought to keep my eyes out for one or build one.

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-01-22, 07:52 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The Var third hand tool made me think about a tool that I made to modify another Var tool. Any guesses?

This looks like a "quick release" for a dish-stick. Similar idea to the wooden ones that Ric Hjertberg sells; friction from the lever (in this case, spring wrapped around the plunger) holds the plunger in place just enough for a reading, but pressing the spring/lever allows it to slide.
Old 09-02-22, 08:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'll cheat and put one in that I made, but wonder if anybody else can guess what it is. (Sorry Andy, I know what all my tools do.)
Now this looks like another McGyvered (Gugiefied?) weapon made in the world of Game of Thrones.
Old 09-02-22, 11:18 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Now this looks like another McGyvered (Gugiefied?) weapon made in the world of Game of Thrones.
Much better answer than what it's really for!
Old 09-04-22, 03:19 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
not bad
Old 09-04-22, 03:21 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
Got this with a bunch of other bike stuff from an old timer cycling enthusiast neighbor who passed away. That’s why I suppose it should be a bike tool, but still couldn’t figure out what…

No one dared yet to guess my mysterious tool, now I’m definitely curious
Likes For JackJohn:
Old 09-10-22, 08:32 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
This looks like a "quick release" for a dish-stick. Similar idea to the wooden ones that Ric Hjertberg sells; friction from the lever (in this case, spring wrapped around the plunger) holds the plunger in place just enough for a reading, but pressing the spring/lever allows it to slide.
winner, winner.