Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 10:18 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz

Someone in South Carolina with a long seatpost fetish (or maybe he is Dikembe Mutombo, but every frame is displayed with at least half a meter non-matching post) is selling this beauty on ebay
The fork is admittedly homebrew, and yeah, maybe not as nice as the Australian bike above or the real Takhion, but if it does the job, it does the job... I definitely could not break it, not sure about a TT Hulk, but I love the details, and yeah its red. .
I think the home-brew handlebar clamp ruined the bike. That's not going to hold up - it needs more triangulation. And the welds look out of place when the rest of the frame is beautifully fillet brazed.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-16-22, 02:31 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Lattz
I chatted with the seller quite awhile back, the bike needs a lot of work and while he said no crack at the HT , I think it is still way over priced for the work necessary to bring it back to life. It seems like all the small frames are on your side of the world.....too bad or maybe it's good for me.
In the meantime some accessories for your viewing pleasure......and one vintage to keep it real.

Aero?

That helm design is great. xiaoman1 Do you happen to know who the rider is? Seems like an illusion, that the right leg is like twice as big as the left.

Just nice and posted previously
If there was a hall of fame, Colnago Master obviously must have a spot in it. I recently bumped into this picture in some "evolution of the bicycle" article, where this picture was commented with "yeah, not everything picked up".
Ernesto and his buddies knew exactly that the rider would tear less material apart, here's the supporting article also talking about this one as well... for the non-clickers, a pic:

What I explicitly like about it is that it fits one of my weird theories (which started with the pistacchio green color I hated until I saw a Lamborghini Miura SV), that there are no ugly colors, we just maybe haven not yet seen the object they fit. I normally would not die for this color, neither a fan of the UCI stripes on such a big surface, but here, they create a contrast, which is more than pleasing to the eye.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 09-16-22, 02:39 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

I think the home-brew handlebar clamp ruined the bike. That's not going to hold up - it needs more triangulation. And the welds look out of place when the rest of the frame is beautifully fillet brazed.
Valid point. It gives "the look" if its a wall hanger, but would not trick a seasoned eye even then. I personally like the Takhion solution with the two clamps directly on the crown (I mean to look at... I'm still an "armchair expert" after all ) the double stem ones like the Colnago before are awesome for their obscurity, but this flat plate neither seem strong, nor elegant, BUT it's still a fork mounted HB. If it would take me to the grocery shop and back, it would be enough. Maybe I wouldn't try to hang the bags on it.

Last edited by Lattz; 09-16-22 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 09-16-22, 03:35 PM
Lattz

Lattz
I chatted with the seller quite awhile back, the bike needs a lot of work and while he said no crack at the HT , I think it is still way over priced for the work necessary to bring it back to life. It seems like all the small frames are on your side of the world.....too bad or maybe it's good for me.
xiaoman1 Ben, being in Europe is a big advantage, whatever bike man would like to buy (okay, tough luck for Merz or Schwinn fans...) and especially Germany is situated in the middle of the fun. If you need small frame you look at the Italian market, on the locals you find a good number of bikes in all sizes, not to mention the two big shops https://cicli-berlinetta.com/ and https://steel-vintage.com/ among others, and for big or even huge frames Belguim and The Netherlands is an endless supply. It "just" a question of money... but when I see sometime the US prices on this forum, Europe is sometimes expensive.

The Tommasini is was nice, and it would be a typical "dilemma" bike for "its ugly as-is" vs. "its only original once" vs. "who could restore it in the orig quality, and would it really worth that price".
If I would find such here I'd pay max 200 for it, then I wouldn't care if it is bad shape, it's a Tommasini and time tells if I see the potential for restoring or just conservate and beat it eventually.
But 1k is waaaaay out of my league, and without joke, I could buy 3-4 cool non- LoPros from that, even Tommasini, or even LoPros in better shape.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-12-22, 09:32 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
A interesting comparison.....More to come.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-28-22, 10:14 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Well in that case, happy to oblige!

Similar to Starbucks revolutionizing the traditional coffee shop and bringing more expensive coffee to the masses, lets not forget who helped to open these styles to the market (IMO). I used to sell the mavic bull horn bars and clip ons at a shop I worked in the late '80's

When I saw Greg he looked happy, ready.

He was like a missile.

He came back from a test ride and asked for another gear, a monstrous gear.

Then he gets back on the bike and starts pushing down with his forearms, then lifting so hard trying to rotate the bars the veins in the side of his neck are sticking out, the veins in his legs are sticking out, every ounce of him is trying to leverage those bars.

I say to him, “Greg, you’re not gonna pull that hard.”

Finally he rotates them an inch.

By then he’s got fiery bull eyes, and he looks at me and says, “I pull that hard on every stroke!”

By this time he’s late—we’re in danger of missing the start.

Every mechanic sees the bar rotate, and one of them goes scampering down the street, grabs a Coke can, and we snip it up into shims.

If you look at photos, you can see the red can in there.

We bolt it together, as tight as we can without stripping the bolts.

~Boone Lennon, invented the aero bar in 1982, which changed Tour history in 1989~

Full story is on BICYCLING, Jul. 2001.
Bold letters by me.
Old 10-28-22, 10:45 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Gianni Bugno, the last all-rounder, and his Moser TT bike.

Likes For darkmoon:
Old 10-28-22, 01:49 PM
xiaoman1 

FYVP,

Best, Ben

Old 10-28-22, 04:53 PM
Lattz

What is really interesting is how easy is to forget - as everyday person - that these are purpose built machines. ~10 seconds only?? In 30 years??? But of course we know these bikes were fighting for the split seconds, so 10 seconds is an eternity.
Old 10-28-22, 09:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Lattz
What is really interesting is how easy is to forget - as everyday person - that these are purpose built machines. ~10 seconds only?? In 30 years??? But of course we know these bikes were fighting for the split seconds, so 10 seconds is an eternity.
How true......considering all of the technological advances, one might think it should be a bit more. I suspect that The rulings by the cycling federation and their ability to disqualify or ban certain hardware might also have something to do with it.
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-28-22, 09:03 PM
xiaoman1 

More TT goodness.......
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-pursuit.html
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-01-22, 09:32 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Francesco Moser, Mexico, 1984

Likes For darkmoon:
Old 11-09-22, 04:32 PM
Lattz

How true......considering all of the technological advances, one might think it should be a bit more. I suspect that The rulings by the cycling federation and their ability to disqualify or ban certain hardware might also have something to do with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YBxtiuyNs
Best, Ben
xiaoman1 waiting for a new owner in The Netherlands... I'm sure shipping might be cheap since its light...
A few weeks ago there was a yellow one as well.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-13-22, 12:05 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by darkmoon
Gianni Bugno, the last all-rounder, and his Moser TT bike.
I'm a fan of Bugno (and a fan of vintage TT bikes!), but you have to give some credit to Tadej Pogacar and Remco Evenepoel, two modern riders who are making fantastic strides as all-arounders!
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 11-13-22, 01:25 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I'm a fan of Bugno (and a fan of vintage TT bikes!), but you have to give some credit to Tadej Pogacar and Remco Evenepoel, two modern riders who are making fantastic strides as all-arounders!
I'm happy to find another Bugno fan.

Yeah, Pogacar and Evenepoel are very rare cyclists of 21st century, ALL-ROUNDERs.
I didn't expect or imagine all-rounder cyclists would appear after Gianni Bugno.
Their results are unexpected and happy surprise!

Pogacar needs one more title, Worlds.

I didn't add "of the steel frame days" about Bugno.
Because this thread is "Vintage".
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 04-14-23, 07:48 AM
Lattz

Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-23, 07:51 AM
Lattz

Fine (and rare) stuff...

Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-14-23, 07:55 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
I love seeing this thread pop back up. Lovely bike. Interesting to see a TT bike with non-aero levers, must be about the time they transitioned. The details on the bike a lovely.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 04-21-23, 08:47 AM
Lattz

Spotted on Subito - I'm not associated in any form.

I'm a sucker for smooth welds and Gipiemme Tecnos so its a cool one for the hard earned 660 European pesos.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-16-23, 04:22 PM
Lattz

Since we have minimum 2 Bugno fans, and this thread always had some space on both sides of the main road for a bit of flex, I think even if not lopro, this belongs here.
Spotted on Subito (Italian equivalent of Craigslist): Bici da Corsa GIANNI BUGNO MG Tecknogym 1996 - Biciclette In vendita a Milano (subito.it)

// I am not the seller and not associated in any ways

Last edited by Lattz; 05-16-23 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 04:28 PM
Lattz

And not to upset those waiting for the "real deal" another ad from Germany (actually from Poland on the German classifieds): OSCA made in Poland lopro track fourkmount bike campagnolo pista in Sachsen - Görlitz | Herrenfahrrad gebraucht kaufen | eBay Kleinanzeigen ist jetzt Kleinanzeigen

// I am not the seller and not associated in any ways

Old 05-16-23, 04:36 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 490 Posts
Why? Because Sid Ferris is riding it:

Old 05-16-23, 10:26 PM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Likes For Seanaus:
Old 06-05-23, 02:48 PM
Lattz

Valuable Lo Pro of the day

Bumped into this on Catawiki in the silver auction section:

Likes For Lattz:
Old 08-08-23, 06:25 PM
xiaoman1 

Time for a few more TT's

Lo pro cycling club: January 2012
Best, Ben

Likes For xiaoman1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.