Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lights and Gadgets for Safety

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lights and Gadgets for Safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 05:28 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I read a study years ago that stated that people noticed a bicycle faster when the cyclist was wearing bright socks and shoes and the pedaling motion drew attention to the rider faster than the clothing. wish I could find that article again
Old 09-08-22, 09:57 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Not going to tell you what you should do, but just what I do:

Bright headlight on handlebar. Steady on at dark, flashing during daylight hours.
One bright red taillight on rear seat stay. Flashing during the day, steady on at night.
Two smaller but equally bright red taillights on each seat stay on either side of the top of the rear wheel. Usually don't use them during daylight,, but both on flashing at night. Using two flashing taillights in conjunction with a steady on taillight means I can get their attention but also they can judge distance and my speed from the steady on taillight.
Lots of red reflective tape down each seat stay, on the back & sides of the tubes. This is the same DOT-approved red/white reflective stickers used on trailers.I just used some of the red portions here. Also a strip around the bottom of the seat stays and each end of the chain stays.
Red reflective tape on the back of my underseat bag.
White reflective tape around each side of the fork near the fork ends and again higher up near the top of the fork.
Nice wide strip of white reflective tape around the top of the downtube.
Wheel lights in the spokes, green and multicolored on the front wheel, red and multicolored in the rear wheel. Primarily for side visibility.
Normally wear brightly colored shirts or jerseys while riding day or night.
White reflective tape on each side of my helmet near the front, red reflective tape in different spots on the rear. May be hard to do based on the shape of the helmet.
One very bright LED blinkie on the rear of my helmet. Has three modes, fast flash, slow flash, or steady on. I usually use fast flash.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-08-22, 10:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Varia radar.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-08-22, 02:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Not going to tell you what you should do, but just what I do:

Bright headlight on handlebar. Steady on at dark, flashing during daylight hours.
One bright red taillight on rear seat stay. Flashing during the day, steady on at night.
Two smaller but equally bright red taillights on each seat stay on either side of the top of the rear wheel. Usually don't use them during daylight,, but both on flashing at night. Using two flashing taillights in conjunction with a steady on taillight means I can get their attention but also they can judge distance and my speed from the steady on taillight.
Lots of red reflective tape down each seat stay, on the back & sides of the tubes. This is the same DOT-approved red/white reflective stickers used on trailers.I just used some of the red portions here. Also a strip around the bottom of the seat stays and each end of the chain stays.
Red reflective tape on the back of my underseat bag.
White reflective tape around each side of the fork near the fork ends and again higher up near the top of the fork.
Nice wide strip of white reflective tape around the top of the downtube.
Wheel lights in the spokes, green and multicolored on the front wheel, red and multicolored in the rear wheel. Primarily for side visibility.
Normally wear brightly colored shirts or jerseys while riding day or night.
White reflective tape on each side of my helmet near the front, red reflective tape in different spots on the rear. May be hard to do based on the shape of the helmet.
One very bright LED blinkie on the rear of my helmet. Has three modes, fast flash, slow flash, or steady on. I usually use fast flash.
Are you riding a bike, or a parade float?

j/k
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-18-22, 05:32 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
So what gadgets am I missing?
Mount a second Taillight and Headlight on your helmet.
Have a reflective strap on your legs.
Be confident
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 09-26-22, 05:41 AM
JohnY2K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
35 years ago someone marketed a flag that attached to the seat stay and stuck out horizontally about 18". I bought something similar 6 or 7 years ago, but it didn't last. Neither flag could damage a car, but every car that passed me gave me ample clearance. I keep meaning to jury-rig something similar....
Would something like the Oxford Fold Out Reflector have the same effect?
Old 09-26-22, 06:20 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
When I was doing a lot of motorcyle touring, I had a few extra lights (front and rear). The fronts were mounted asymmetrically; one mounted low on the right fork leg, the other lower than and to the left of the main headlight. My main purpose was to see better during the night, but I received many comments on how the bike stood out in traffic during the day as well. I suspect it was because it looked different than anything else out there.
As far as bicycle lights, I only ride during the day, but I still want to stand out. Many riders use daytime lights- while they do help a lot, I’m not convinced that (car) drivers register them as much as they used to.

I placed a piece of yellow kapton tape over the clear lens of my bike lights- the yellow/ amber light really makes it stand out from others. Looks like an old-school fog light (or all French cars back in the 70s and 80s).
Old 09-27-22, 01:35 AM
Nirosha

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 10-23-22, 03:03 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
lots of riders using lights, including flashing lights, yesterday
Old 10-30-22, 12:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
I keep meaning to jury-rig something similar....

Pool noodle:

I was thinking you'd say that all the cars were using it as target practice, ripping up the flag and snapping the flag stick.

The commercial one I saw had hard plastic triangle 'teeth' on the end to scratch car paint.

Last edited by tcs; 10-31-22 at 08:46 AM.