Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-22, 06:45 PM
brsboarder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to figure out what its worth, its advertised as a 2017 vs 2018 Trek Madone 56cm.

Old 09-18-22, 08:45 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 365 Posts
Well if the owner doesn't know, it's stolen
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 09-18-22, 09:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Quite the conclusion to jump to.
My wife has no idea what year her Cannondale Synapse is, but it isn't stolen. Hell, it's the only full bike we have ever purchased new from a shop. I don't know the year either- may have been the prior year's model for all I know.
Old 09-18-22, 10:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by brsboarder
Trying to figure out what its worth, its advertised as a 2017 vs 2018 Trek Madone 56cm.
It's a 2013 Trek Madone 2.1
Old 09-19-22, 08:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My wife has no idea what year her Cannondale Synapse is, but it isn't stolen.
Park it outside for 20min, it will be !

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-19-22, 08:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
My wife has no idea what year her Cannondale Synapse is, but it isn't stolen. Hell, it's the only full bike we have ever purchased new from a shop. I don't know the year either- may have been the prior year's model for all I know.
I am pretty sure if you were pressed, you could maybe find a receipt, or that your bank has records going back to when you bought the bike, or that you could figure out approximately which year .... even I can remember things like buying a bicycle, and recall when I did and didn't have it, and other things from around that year, and I am already slightly senile.

As to whether it was last year's model ..... sure but you could narrow it down to a smaller period than five years.

What happened here is sort of a Grammar Police situation .... the statement could have been interpreted as, "It is worth considering, when looking at a used bike, that if the seller doesn't know much about the bike, the provenance is suspect .... and no one wants to buy a stolen bike."

Communication is a team sport, but both teams have to want to play.
Old 09-19-22, 09:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Maelochs
What happened here is sort of a Grammar Police situation .... the statement could have been interpreted as, "It is worth considering, when looking at a used bike, that if the seller doesn't know much about the bike, the provenance is suspect .... and no one wants to buy a stolen bike."
Communication is a team sport, but both teams have to want to play.
Grammar police situation? Haha, this is the quote.
You took a simple, short, and direct statement and then added a bunch of words to make it mean something different. If the other poster intended to say your non-judgmental concern, then they wouldnt have posted something so short and direct.
Communication is a team sport, but what you are doing is just making stuff up and then applying it to what another poster said.
Old 09-19-22, 09:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I am pretty sure if you were pressed, you could maybe find a receipt, or that your bank has records going back to when you bought the bike, or that you could figure out approximately which year .... even I can remember things like buying a bicycle, and recall when I did and didn't have it, and other things from around that year, and I am already slightly senile.
As to whether it was last year's model ..... sure but you could narrow it down to a smaller period than five years.
Yes, I could look up the color and model and after 10min I could know which year my wife's road bike is.
Thats what I did with this Trek in question though- something the seller and the OP both apparently couldnt do. Either I have amazing search skills or they werent willing to do some basic searching. Regardless, it is common for sellers to not do research and not know details about their own bike. They label aluminum as carbon. They label 700c as 26". They label rim brakes as disc brakes. Etc etc etc. Not knowing the year of a bike is hardly some red flag as to if the bike is stolen- that was my point.

I genuinely dont know if my wife's road bike is a 2015, 2014, or 2016. I think it was purchased in June 2015. I remember her looking at a bike that was the prior year's model and dont know if that is what she ended up with or not. I dont think the next year's models were out yet, but wouldnt be surprised. Which year it actually is makes no difference though because the year of the bike really doesnt matter- what matters is the condition. But that is getting far into the details of how to best purchase a used bike.

The bike in question is an aluminum frame with rim brake, 10p 105, and has traditional brake calipers. That is some of the important stuff, with actual condition being the rest of whats important. Which year really isnt important.
Old 09-19-22, 09:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The bike is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay much at all for a used bike. And too many sellers of used bikes want brand new prices. Sometimes over the MSRP of the bike when they bought it.
Old 09-19-22, 10:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Thats what I did with this Trek in question though- something the seller and the OP both apparently couldnt do.
I believe the word you would prefer to use, is "wouldn't," but you are a gentleman.
Either I have amazing search skills or they werent willing to do some basic searching.
Not an either/or ....
Regardless, it is common for sellers to not do research and not know details about their own bike. They label aluminum as carbon. They label 700c as 26". They label rim brakes as disc brakes. Etc etc etc.
Well, just because information is thousands of times easier to acquire now than at any time in human history, and education from actual educators is equally vastly easier to find than at any prior time ..... yeah .... I won't miss most of the human race when it goes away.
Not knowing the year of a bike is hardly some red flag as to if the bike is stolen- that was my point.
Fair enough.
The bike in question is an aluminum frame with rim brake, 10p 105, and has traditional brake calipers. That is some of the important stuff, with actual condition being the rest of whats important. Which year really isnt important.
I disagree about year not being important because one never knows when a firm made significant changes .... and it can also pinpoint whether the seller made significant changes.

Whether a bike was a 2015 model built in 2014 or whatever .... it is the model year which matters. And I am pretty sure you are smart enough to research the serial number on the frame ....
Old 09-19-22, 10:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I believe the word you would prefer to use, is "wouldn't," but you are a gentleman. Not an either/or .... Well, just because information is thousands of times easier to acquire now than at any time in human history, and education from actual educators is equally vastly easier to find than at any prior time ..... yeah .... I won't miss most of the human race when it goes away.
Fair enough.
I disagree about year not being important because one never knows when a firm made significant changes .... and it can also pinpoint whether the seller made significant changes.
Whether a bike was a 2015 model built in 2014 or whatever .... it is the model year which matters. And I am pretty sure you are smart enough to research the serial number on the frame ....
...and I am out. We are going back and forth for...why?
I found the bike's actual year and I explained why when a seller doesnt know when a bike was made, that doesnt at all indicate the bike is stolen.
Old 09-19-22, 11:56 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Not to argue, but if the seller can convince an unsuspecting buyer the bike is a 2017 or 2018 instead of a 2013, the seller can get more for it.

It is not uncommon to see a seller exaggerated the age of a bike on Craigslist.

John
Old 09-19-22, 12:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
[QUOTE=brsboarder;22651949]Trying to figure out what its worth, its advertised as a 2017 vs 2018 Trek Madone 56cm.[QUOTE]

The issue(s) with that bike, beyond the funky cable routing and condition, is pretty universal to any older 10 speed drivetrain. Shimano new offerings no longer support the older 10 speed setups.

They “semi-support” 8 and 9 speed, but if those 105 shifters go bad, you can’t replace them with new Shimano shifters. Shimano offers a Tiagra 4700 shifter but the cable pull and RD ratio has changed. So you’ll need to also replace the RD. For the time being Tiagra 4700 triple is compatible with older triple road FD’s.

You can use Microshift, but when asking about worth, I think it is a red flag.

John
Old 09-27-22, 01:39 AM
Nirosha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts