Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

6 speed folder from Camping World any good?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-21-08, 09:39 PM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one for a gift, but I don't want the recipient to be mad at me if it turns out to be a POS. Anyone with experience with this folders?
Thanks in advance!

Oops! here's the link
https://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ing-bike/37702

Last edited by DVC45; 10-21-08 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 12:10 AM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a frequenter of Camping World, the last time we were there I noticed they were no longer selling Dahon brand folders. We had purchased our original folders there (two 2005 Dahon Boardwalk 7-speeds) and my still owned (and used almost daily) 2005 Dahon single-speed.

Those Dahon bikes are/were of good quality. Can't say the same about the 'Adventurer' brand. Lesser materials and components IMO. My guess is that there wasn't enough "profit" in the Dahons, so they sought out a lower cost alternative.

Personally, I would suggest you go online and check-out the Dahon Speed-7 (successor to the Boardwalk D7) and the various Downtube brand models. They will cost more than the $199 (or $169 w/membership) Adventurer, but will ride far better and be far more durable.

An Online Dahon Dlr: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/2008/speedd7.htm

Downtube Website: https://www.downtube.com
/ss-index.html

FYI: The owners of both these businesses are active on this Forum and are considered responsible business people.
Old 10-22-08, 07:44 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-22-08, 03:27 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks Foldable Two.
I'm a Downtube advocate, but this is going to be a campus commuter for a fairly light person (145lbs), I'm afraid a more expensive bike will be more prone to theft.
Are the components on the Adventurer really that bad?
Old 10-22-08, 06:30 PM
Foldable Two

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were of lesser quality than the D7's for sure, and I think not as good as the YEAH Bike (Camping World's last year offering - technology licensed by Dahon and possibly made by Dahon.) I rode a friend's Yeah Bike around a campground last year and it was very acceptable for the application you described.

The Adventurer is not as well-made as my 2005 Boardwalk single-speed, IMO. The seat, seat post and the way the seat connects to the seat post (no "rails", just old clamp design) are all inferior. Also, the frame and handle bar latches are of an older design. It does, however come with fenders & a rack and a kickstand which is good. Not sure of pedal quality, assume plastic hand brake levers - not great, and not sure how easy it will be to adjust the shifting - Not stuff casual rider will likely worry about, though.

To someone who doesn't ride much, and isn't into bikes, this might be very satisfactory for around campus. Riding 5-10 miles at a crack may be something else.

A single speed Boardwalk would be easier to maintain and is likely a bit lighter weight.

See here: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/2008/boardwalk1.htm

Here's a dealer that has some in stock: https://www.bikesarecool.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=397

...or Here: https://campusbicycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=2912

Some Camping World stores might have one or two left, too. They don't do a great job of assembling bikes though, just to let you know. Luckily I was able to adjust mine after purchase.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Foldable Two; 10-22-08 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 07:27 PM
noob_island

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Thanks Foldable Two.
I'm a Downtube advocate, but this is going to be a campus commuter for a fairly light person (145lbs), I'm afraid a more expensive bike will be more prone to theft.
Are the components on the Adventurer really that bad?
OMG its 42.5 lbs its almost 1/3 your weight. Maybe thats the shipping weight.
Old 10-22-08, 08:16 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another caution about buying from Camping World: I bought a Dahon Yeah about a year ago from them. (Great bike, BTW). I drove by their store about 2 months ago and it was shuttered. Apparently, high gas prices take a toll on their ability to sell those big campers and accessories. I guess the economy isn't helping either.
Old 09-19-22, 12:32 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
We bought the Adventure 12 sp and a 6 sp folders. They ride good, buy that's about it. We take them when we go camping. I wouldn't waste money on one.
Likes For rvman:
Old 09-19-22, 08:20 PM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rvman
We bought the Adventure 12 sp and a 6 sp folders. They ride good, buy that's about it. We take them when we go camping. I wouldn't waste money on one.
On a side note it’s a 14 yo thread.
Old 09-19-22, 10:40 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
On a side note it’s a 14 yo thread.
In some markets, time seemingly stands still. 😉
Old 09-20-22, 03:57 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
It's nice to have updated data though. A lot of the time when someone googles "camping world folding bike" (maybe they found one on the used market), a thread like this is going to be the only thing that pops up in the google search.
Old 09-21-22, 07:07 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
It's nice to have updated data though. A lot of the time when someone googles "camping world folding bike" (maybe they found one on the used market), a thread like this is going to be the only thing that pops up in the google search.
my thoughts exactly. Just got back from a short ride on the Adventure. Gotta ride in the morning here, due to heat and humidity. It's a fun little bike, but the only thing on the bike that has any kind of quality assets would be the Shimano gear system. The rest of the components are junk. If you like quality components look elsewhere. For me though it work's, and it will eventually morph into a folding rat bike, but maintaining safety and reliability. It's that bike in my garage that I don't have to fuss about. It goes against my grain to not keep a bike in like new condition. It's my therapy. Cheers!