Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1978 Fuji Finest Mark II

Old 09-18-22, 10:04 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
1978 Fuji Finest Mark II

Hi Gang,

I came across this 1978 Fuji Finest Mark II at a yard sale yesterday in NJ. The owner is asking $85 for it. It’s too big for me and I’m guessing not flip worthy. Am I right?

With new hoods (and rims and tires? see below point about lace ups), what do you think it could sell for?

Here is what interested me.
  1. the sticker says it has double butted chromoly tubing (a pleasant surprise). It’s definitely a light weight (although not as light as my 53cm ‘88 Schwinn Circuit (based on my unscientific comparison of picking each up side by side. lol). Felt like most of the weight is in the rear components.
  2. despite the heavy layer of dust, the bike is beautiful and I think it’s in good condition. Except, obviously, for the disintegrated hoods (I wonder what caused that?)
  3. Forged dropouts?
  4. Sugino Super Mighty cranks, aero brake levers, etc.
  5. Components are functioning although I didn’t ride it as the owner couldn’t find a pump that worked. And I didn’t have one with me. Could go back with one though. lol

Cons?
  1. the tires are the original lace ups. Does anyone still ride bikes with these rims? Would it sell with them on the bike? Or would you convert them to clinchers?
2. Not sure whether the tires hold air.
3. Leather seat has some cracks in it from heat, still ok enough to ride, though.

I’m interested to know your thoughts. And just to share the below pictures and info. in case it’s of use to any Fuji owners out there.

Old 09-18-22, 10:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Lots of people still ride tubulars or “sew ups”.

As it sits it’s probably worth $50 to the $85 to the right buyer, someone looking for that bike in that size.

It looks like a project, it certainly needs an overhaul, new hoods fir the not aero brake levers and probably new tubulars to make it rideable.

Tubulars $60 for Yellow Jersey “pair and a Spare” tires + $6 for glue.
Overhaul $125-150 for your time and effort maybe much more if you go to a shop
Hoods $20+/- if you can find ones that fit.
Bar tape $15-20
Cables and chain if needed $25-40 depending on type and quality.

so say $65 for the bike $250+/- to fix it up and you have a tall 1970s bike you need to sell for $330 just to break even.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-18-22, 10:40 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Lots of people still ride tubulars or “sew ups”.

As it sits it’s probably worth $50 to the $85 to the right buyer, someone looking for that bike in that size.

It looks like a project, it certainly needs an overhaul, new hoods fir the not aero brake levers and probably new tubulars to make it rideable.

Tubulars $60 for Yellow Jersey “pair and a Spare” tires + $6 for glue.
Overhaul $125-150 for your time and effort maybe much more if you go to a shop
Hoods $20+/- if you can find ones that fit.
Bar tape $15-20
Cables and chain if needed $25-40 depending on type and quality.

so say $65 for the bike $250+/- to fix it up and you have a tall 1970s bike you need to sell for $330 just to break even.
Hi BianchiGirl,
Got it. That’s why I passed on it. I’m not looking for another project. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-18-22, 11:18 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Mdl
Hi BianchiGirl,
Got it. That’s why I passed on it. I’m not looking for another project. Thanks for letting me know.
Hey so I just texted the owner to let him know I have to pass on the bike because “it’s too big for me”. He hadn’t ridden it in years (back injury) and it was just hanging in his garage. He said he was going to pump up the tires and take it for a ride. Cool - maybe he’ll get into it and we’ll ride bikes together some day. He’s a nice guy.

It’s funny - when I stopped (on my bike ride) at his family’s yard sale, I asked whether they had any bikes and or bike stuff for sale. The wife (he wasn’t home at the moment) thought about it and said “…as a matter of fact, my husband doesn’t ride his bike anymore - we should sell it”. I thought “oh my God - my wife would do the same thing to me! I can’t buy it hahaha!”

But she called him and he agreed he wanted to sell it. Anyway, they were nice people and we had fun chit chatting.

I think I read once that someone said “You meet the some of the nicest people” cycling. In this case, I agree.
Likes For Mdl:
Old 09-18-22, 12:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Mdl
Hi BianchiGirl,
BTW I didn’t mean to give the impression the b8ke isn’t worth the effort. I believe the Finest was a indeed a very fine bike in its day, it just not worth all the effort to make it decent bike for resale

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-18-22, 12:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
The bike is a good deal at $85 even with the tubulars. It is a very fine vintage Fuji.The paint looks to be in great shape. This was a top end bike back in the day. The parts are quite good. You could easily part this out and make a decent return on the original investment as the frame is easily worth 2x the asking price. Yes it is a full chrome moly frame.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-18-22 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 09-18-22, 01:37 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I'd jump all over that one. That's a superb japan frame, double butted chromemoly. I think that's a bike that's going to be worth everything you put into it. That will ride like a dream, probably can take big tires. Frame is well worth the price of admission.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-18-22, 06:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,738 Times in 629 Posts
While dirty it has been road hard at some point likely raced note the damage in dents on the big ring. %50 it has been crashed.
Old 09-18-22, 07:15 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by zukahn1
While dirty it has been road hard at some point likely raced note the damage in dents on the big ring. %50 it has been crashed.
Where do you see dents? Sorry, I’m looking at the chain ring (?) and I just don’t see anything unusual.
Old 09-18-22, 07:18 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemig
The bike is a good deal at $85 even with the tubulars. It is a very fine vintage Fuji.The paint looks to be in great shape. This was a top end bike back in the day. The parts are quite good. You could easily part this out and make a decent return on the original investment as the frame is easily worth 2x the asking price. Yes it is a full chrome moly frame.
Yes. It’s class! Looks it and felt it, too. I’ll wait a week or so. If the owner hasn’t done anything with it yet, then maybe he’ll want to sell it.
Old 09-18-22, 08:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
I'm typically at the lower end price wise around here. I would jump on that deal!
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-19-22, 03:10 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Originally Posted by Mdl
Where do you see dents? Sorry, I’m looking at the chain ring (?) and I just don’t see anything unusual.
All I see is a little paint, or something, drip on the chainstay near the big ring.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-21-22, 08:33 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I do not see evidence of being crashed, but that does mean it has not been. I think the chainrings look good. Looking closer the only thing that looks suspect is the chain, the pins look to be flush with the sides of the plates. I've had a chain fail from pins working loose
Old 09-22-22, 08:22 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
I would buy that in an instant if it were nearby. Those of us who sold and serviced Fuji's in that era know full well the quality of the bike!
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 09-28-22, 03:27 AM
Nirosha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice