Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Your shadow points at danger...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-22-22, 10:53 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts

I'm a little late with this, but today is the equinox and for those of us where most roads were laid out E/W/N/S we've got the sun lined up directly along the road at dawn and dusk.

At low light angles, anything your shadow is pointing at can't see you.

Be careful out there!

Last edited by flangehead; 09-22-22 at 10:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-22-22, 11:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Good advice. I have always tried to avoid riding when the sun is low on the horizon. I know how difficult it can be to see what's ahead of you while driving. Even flashing tail lights are sometimes difficult to pick out.
Old 09-22-22, 12:48 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
That's why I ride at night wearing all black clothes riding an all black bike with no lights. If they can't see you, they can't hit you!
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-23-22, 04:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

At low light angles, anything your shadow is pointing at can't see you.
Incorrect.
Old 09-23-22, 07:06 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Incorrect.
They are blinded by the sun behind the shadow, so they don't see you. Why do you say it's incorrect ?
Old 09-23-22, 07:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
This is how I take my prey, coming out of the sun like the Red Baron
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-23-22, 09:33 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Incorrect.
Elaborate.
Old 09-23-22, 10:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
They are blinded by the sun behind the shadow, so they don't see you. Why do you say it's incorrect ?
Because it is incorrect. If they are blinded by the sun, why aren't there multiple crashes on every road that faces a sunrise or sunset. Motorists wouldn't be able to see any other road users or any traffic signs if they were blinded by the sun, right?
Old 09-23-22, 01:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Incorrect.
Because it is incorrect. If they are blinded by the sun, why aren't there multiple crashes on every road that faces a sunrise or sunset. Motorists wouldn't be able to see any other road users or any traffic signs if they were blinded by the sun, right?
Sigh. The world isn’t binary, and bicycles are usually smaller than automobiles. But even drivers need to be careful.

People *MAY* have trouble seeing. Be careful out there.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Speaking of bad driving, this was yesterday in the Minuteman National Park. Since so many of us ride these roads with low sun, just a reminder.

With the gap in oncoming traffic, and the long shadows pointing RIGHT at the driver in the truck, I knew he may not see me. (I had my lights on too!) Oh, my lane position? The lane.

It's gonna be a bright bright Sun-shiney day!

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Since in North America this is the time of year where sun is most troublesome for people on bikes, I want to expand a bit.

Going into the direction of the sun is only ONE of the problems, where not only are YOU having trouble seeing, but people behind you are also having trouble seeing.

But anytime *you* have a long shadow, your long shadow POINTS to people who may not see you.

So if your long shadow is pointing to 12 o'clock, oncoming people may not see you. Left crosses and pull outs are more likely with your back to the sun.

Similarly, if you are crossing an intersection and your long shadow points at either 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock, people in that direction may not see you.

AND, if you can see long shadows pointing AT you, even if you can't see the sun be aware that you may not see something in that long shadow.

-mr. bill

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-01-22, 03:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
A good and timely reminder------ But

Not only at the equinox, since not all roads are oriented to the compass. ANYTIME the sun is low, visibility is problematic it it's direction. Though I'm generally less concerned about oncoming traffic, except where it might turn left, I'm extremely cautions when I'm facing the sun. My rule is simple, if I'm "sun-blinded" so is everyone behind me.

Note: shadow is less helpful here, even very long shadows with low sun because the shadow that would be most informative is out of sight directly behind me.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-03-22, 02:00 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It felt a bit scary as the big shadow was about to engulf my shadow. But not to worry. He followed at a safe distance and once the next lane was clear he safely passed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Low Sun Front Cam.jpg (90.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
Low Sun Rear Cam.jpg (96.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-03-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 02:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

You're like the groundhog, except that in your case seeing your shadow is a good thing. It means the sun is behind you, and also behind everyone behind you. Of course, there are no guaranties, but this driver would not be able to blame the sun if he hit you.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-03-22, 02:46 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Personally, I always have the attitude that others, especially drivers of vehicles, have issues with their vision, whatever the reason, which affects their ability to see me. I mostly wear bright colored clothing and use lights when riding a bike. I do not assume, or trust, that others are going to see me, regardless of the circumstances and environment. There are no guarantees, but caution and self preservation are of utmost importance. That includes making one's presence known to others, and awareness of what is going on nearby.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-03-22, 02:57 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Personally, I always have the attitude that others, especially drivers of vehicles, have issues with their vision, whatever the reason, which affects their ability to see me. I mostly wear bright colored clothing and use lights when riding a bike. I do not assume, or trust, that others are going to see me, regardless of the circumstances and environment. There are no guarantees, but caution and self preservation are of utmost importance. That includes making one's presence known to others, and awareness of what is going on nearby.
Always good practice. I add that other than drivers passing from behind, which I have to trust to a degree since I can't do anything about them, I assume that drivers are "trying to hit me" (I know they're not) and ride in a way that they couldn't hit me even if they tried. This applies most to drivers making left turns who rarely calculate my approach speed accurately .

OTOH - when you're riding directly into a low sun, you're just about invisible even if you have Las Vegas style lighting.

Old 10-03-22, 04:21 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're like the groundhog, except that in your case seeing your shadow is a good thing. It means the sun is behind you, and also behind everyone behind you. Of course, there are no guaranties, but this driver would not be able to blame the sun if he hit you.
His problem is that the sun would in his blind spot hindering his lane change. But I'm sure other drivers in that lane would be aware of his position and try to accomodate.