Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Old 06-16-22, 06:05 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

Pontsticill Reservoir, Wales

Last edited by muse kidd; 06-16-22 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Likes For muse kidd:
Old 06-16-22, 04:34 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Nice Dawes. Here's a Super Galaxy at Point Reyes, California.

To the left is my wife's Cannondale comfort bike. I put a beam rack and Topeak trunk and panniers on it and my sons are riding it.

That z-fold pad is just being blown by the wind. I had to put another bungee on it.

When one son was riding the Cannondale, the other would be riding this Trek. At first, I couldn't get my sons into bike touring, but when I described my plan for this tour, they were in, but had no bikes. They had sold their 24"-wheel bikes after outgrowing them and hadn't bought anything since. I picked this up at the last minute and put some Ortlieb panniers on it. It's a Verve 1 with a triple that goes down to 22 gear inches so it worked quite well on the hills. My sons prefer the hybrid/comfort bike style to drop bars or road bikes like my Bianchi. The boys distributed their loads across the two bikes. Because the Cannondale's rack is limited to 15 pounds and it's only a 7-speed limited to 31 gear-inches, it carried art supplies, water, food, toiletries, its spare tubes, extra bike lights and miscellaneous items. Their clothes and sleeping bags, water, tubes and other items were in the Ortliebs on the Trek. Even though the bikes were pretty evened-out, they would trade bikes every half day to change-up saddles and bar positions.

These bikes don't look especially loaded but we spent three days on them and camped two nights. There was nothing about the bikes or our gear that limited us to that, but only other obligations. We carried all our food until we were in San Francisco. Besides my son's digital camera, I carried a film camera and we had everything for drawing and watercolor. I think because we could share items among the three of us, the overall load was less.
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 06-16-22, 04:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I've owned this bike 25 years, its a Miyata City Liner, lugged steel, I had re-painted to a pretty green. Ive never used it touring, its been my commuter mostly and JRA bike. I recently retired and received a nice retirement gift card at REI from my co-workers, so invested in Ortleib panniers, plus some Axiom and Roswheel racks, and will soon set out on my life long dream of actually doing some touring.

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-18-22, 12:28 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
Likes For str:
Old 06-21-22, 08:25 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Full on heavy touring mode Me and the rig plus the dog is about 400 pounds.
Old 06-27-22, 01:50 AM
muse kidd

Originally Posted by KPREN
Full on heavy touring mode Me and the rig plus the dog is about 400 pounds.
It looks awesome, but it's also fast approaching the motorcycle genre.
Old 06-30-22, 09:50 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by muse kidd
It looks awesome, but it's also fast approaching the motorcycle genre.
I could only wish. It's very much a bicycle and subject to all the weight limitations and handling problems of an overweight bicycle.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-04-22, 11:30 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Was sorting some old photos and found this from my first tour. I was somewhere down the Owens Valley, CA, about to turn east across Death Valley, September 2016. It's still pretty much the setup I use today. Food, clothes, shelter and water; It's enough stuff to live open-endedly on the bike. (Minus the Crocs. I'm not a fan after all)
Likes For Brett A:
Old 07-15-22, 12:03 AM
novecho_delta

Bikes: 2022 'Eventyr Ravn' Custom Ti Touring Bike, 2017 Norco VFR4 (Drop Bar Conversion), 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Presenting: My dream bike (kinda)! A custom-built titanium touring bike frame, designed to fit my unusual body and eat up my unusual rides. Designed by me, built by Titan Cycles out of Xi'an, China. Due to the bike part shortage, and the fact that I'm still in school (Yes, my financial priorities are messed up), I'm holding off on getting my ideal spec of parts in favour of some old parts and cheap stuff from AliExpress that will eventually be replaced.

For those wondering, I paid $1400 USD for the frame+fork, fully customized. Given that a comparable off-the-shelf steel or aluminium frame+fork would cost near-$1000, and that my strange body shape (short legs, long torso, 40" waist) has never allowed me to find a super comfortable bike, the case for the custom Ti frame wasn't too hard to justify.

Bad photo, I know, but it's the only one I have of it fully loaded.

The closer one is mine.

This is out on a shakedown ride - 120km from Nanaimo to Victoria, BC. This was mostly to test stiffness and real-world usability - I weigh 260lbs, the bike weighed 115lbs, and I towed my sister (130lbs) and her bike (55lbs) up the steeper hills on the island. Had ZERO issues with flexing, creaking, instability at high speeds, etc. For those who know the area: Descending Malahat Drive on TCH-1 at 80km/h with a 115lb bike was one of the most unexpectedly fun things I've ever done on a bicycle.

As a part of the weird components I threw on the frame, I had a 42-24t crankset and a 11-40t 9 speed cassette. It shifted poorly, which is forgivable given I was exceeding both max tooth count and chain wrap numbers on the derailleur. That being said, having a 17 gear-inch granny gear has completely changed the way I think about hills, and I don't know if I can go back. Once Shimano starts shipping parts to Canada again, I'll try and get a 3x11 XT M8000 groupset, which boasts a 42t capacity and 22t front chainring combo. Thoughts on this? I don't ride terribly quickly (120km or so per day), so the 42t top ring is not a problem. What do you run for ultra-low gearing?
Likes For novecho_delta:
Old 07-17-22, 10:53 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by novecho_delta
Presenting: My dream bike (kinda)! A custom-built titanium touring bike frame, designed to fit my unusual body and eat up my unusual rides. Designed by me, built by Titan Cycles out of Xi'an, China. Due to the bike part shortage, and the fact that I'm still in school (Yes, my financial priorities are messed up), I'm holding off on getting my ideal spec of parts in favour of some old parts and cheap stuff from AliExpress that will eventually be replaced.

For those wondering, I paid $1400 USD for the frame+fork, fully customized. Given that a comparable off-the-shelf steel or aluminium frame+fork would cost near-$1000, and that my strange body shape (short legs, long torso, 40" waist) has never allowed me to find a super comfortable bike, the case for the custom Ti frame wasn't too hard to justify.

This is out on a shakedown ride - 120km from Nanaimo to Victoria, BC. This was mostly to test stiffness and real-world usability - I weigh 260lbs, the bike weighed 115lbs, and I towed my sister (130lbs) and her bike (55lbs) up the steeper hills on the island. Had ZERO issues with flexing, creaking, instability at high speeds, etc. For those who know the area: Descending Malahat Drive on TCH-1 at 80km/h with a 115lb bike was one of the most unexpectedly fun things I've ever done on a bicycle.

As a part of the weird components I threw on the frame, I had a 42-24t crankset and a 11-40t 9 speed cassette. It shifted poorly, which is forgivable given I was exceeding both max tooth count and chain wrap numbers on the derailleur. That being said, having a 17 gear-inch granny gear has completely changed the way I think about hills, and I don't know if I can go back. Once Shimano starts shipping parts to Canada again, I'll try and get a 3x11 XT M8000 groupset, which boasts a 42t capacity and 22t front chainring combo. Thoughts on this? I don't ride terribly quickly (120km or so per day), so the 42t top ring is not a problem. What do you run for ultra-low gearing?
I run a budget DRAM 2X10 setup with extended derailleur hanger on my salsa Fargo, which gives 22/38T and 11-46T, all shifting smoothly. The 22t/11t combo is a bit slack but hey, it's not meant to be used!

22T x 46T is awesome for climbing with a loaded bike up >15% grades
Old 08-29-22, 12:31 PM
str

Old 08-29-22, 02:03 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
mr north shore delta guy, that seat angle is pretty whacked.

Im a big fan of mtb triples for loaded touring in steep places, and have no problem with a 44 or 42t big ring. I can pedal/spin to about 50kph which is fine by me.
Old 09-01-22, 04:10 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
First day of my most recent bikepacking trip. Just waiting for the train. And of course, I have my obligatory first day lunch of pizza attached to the top of my saddlebag.

Likes For rivers:
Old 09-01-22, 07:55 AM
str

saddle bag 50L?
Old 09-01-22, 08:00 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by str
saddle bag 50L?
It's massive, isn't it? 15 litres, but with a 46cm bike, I will take storage where I can fit it. It had tent, towel, cook set, down jacket, and a few other small bits in it.
Likes For rivers:
Old 09-02-22, 07:58 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
First configuration for the first trip. One,maybe two nights,30 miles from home. 60 lbs as it sits with everything but water. As soon as i can get two days in a row without rain and wind,i’m gonna go.In the meantime,i’ll do my daily rides around town all loaded up for practice.

Last edited by Imaginos; 09-02-22 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For Imaginos:
Old 09-04-22, 05:40 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I've owned this bike 25 years, its a Miyata City Liner, lugged steel, I had re-painted to a pretty green. Ive never used it touring, its been my commuter mostly and JRA bike. I recently retired and received a nice retirement gift card at REI from my co-workers, so invested in Ortleib panniers, plus some Axiom and Roswheel racks, and will soon set out on my life long dream of actually doing some touring.

How's this working out? I did a trip with my City Liner and the bike was a wet noodle with a rear load, I could not get out of the saddle. It was much better with the weight concentrated in the front panniers. In hindsight the rear rack had loosened up early in the trip, and I didn't catch it till just before I reconfigured my load, so that could have been part of the problem. that and the 250 pounds of me....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 09-09-22, 10:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
How's this working out? I did a trip with my City Liner and the bike was a wet noodle with a rear load, I could not get out of the saddle. It was much better with the weight concentrated in the front panniers. In hindsight the rear rack had loosened up early in the trip, and I didn't catch it till just before I reconfigured my load, so that could have been part of the problem. that and the 250 pounds of me....
I used this bike on a long non-loaded tour, it was heavy but rides predictably. I also used it for decades as a commuter with a light rear pannier load, never had handling issues. The ride with this F & R pannier load is if anything a better ride then unloaded. The pannier load weighs down the bike enough that it feels steadier, and doesn't hammer me with potholes and bumps. I would suspect that a rear rack that is moving around would cause handling and is what you were feeling.
Old 09-09-22, 12:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
And being a heavy person is always going to be a factor, this puts so much more flexing forces into a frame compared to a light rider like myself.
Old 09-22-22, 10:21 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 76 Posts
Rearranged for my second trip and ditched the front rack.I prefer it like this.

Headed home after a horrible night in a tiny little tent on the ground.

Cruiser
Likes For Imaginos:
Old 09-23-22, 01:14 PM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Next to the Taylor Family Cemetery, North Carolina.

Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 09-27-22, 04:55 AM
muse kidd

Originally Posted by Charles Lathe

You must be a tall fella! I've never seen an h2o bottle mounted between the seat tube and the rear wheel... awesome! I'm guessing those are 26" wheels? You've done something tricky with the handlebar mount too? It's a great looking bike and setup. I'd love to see more detailed photos!
Old 09-27-22, 09:51 AM
Charles Lathe

Originally Posted by muse kidd
You must be a tall fella! I've never seen an h2o bottle mounted between the seat tube and the rear wheel... awesome! I'm guessing those are 26" wheels? You've done something tricky with the handlebar mount too? It's a great looking bike and setup. I'd love to see more detailed photos!

I think the Old French builders would call that a decaleur. I am not French, and the bike is not a French style bike, but I guess decaleur is still a good name for it. The bag is an Ortlieb and it clicks onto an Ortlieb handlebar mount that has had part of it removed so it can bolt to a plate on the decaleur. The front rack has a flat frame on top that I never used in thirteen years so I decided to move the bag down and use it. It cleans up the handlebars. The frame is 60.5 cm.
Old 09-27-22, 10:31 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Is that shellacked Newbaum's tape?
Old 09-27-22, 02:50 PM
Charles Lathe

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Is that shellacked Newbaum's tape?
It is shellacked Tressostar 90.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.