Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Behind Bars (Photo Thread)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-23-16, 09:54 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts

No, not what you're thinking

I made these images last year, just before our first snow, and I was thinking about how cool it would be to see the view from behind other cyclist's handlebars. This is very easy to do: You simply straddle your rear wheel, rest your elbows on your saddle to steady the camera, and frame the shot.

This first example is from the saddle of my Scott Sub 10, which I have converted into a sort of modern roadster. Or I suppose you might call it a utility bike - because it is the bike I go to for most of my riding - that basket up front is just perfect for my camera bag, for instance. If I ever decide to commute by bicycle, this will be my mount. Specs are impressive: Shimano Alfine 8 IGH, driven by a gates belt drive, all of which can be brought to a halt by hydraulic disc brakes - all modern conveniences that were not around when I first took up cycling. The rest of my bikes would be considered C&V, or Classic and Vintage...

[IMG][/IMG]

This next image is from the saddle of my 1991 Specialized Rock-Hopper, modified into a Curb-Hopper cargo bike. This I have converted to a Deore XT 1 x 10 drivetrain, with a 34t chainring driving an 11-40t cassette. The baskets are lined with wood slats, just like a classic pickup truck, and the bike is just perfect for the Farmer's Market or grocery runs.

I look forward to seeing the view from other saddles in here. Thanks for looking...

Last edited by DQRider; 02-23-16 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clumsy syntax
Old 02-23-16, 02:16 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Those are cool shots, I'll have to give that go.
Old 02-23-16, 02:31 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
On board a borrowed bike share:

Citibike New York City by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 02-23-16, 02:38 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
A couple of weeks ago on my new Giant Fastroads at a flooded out portion of a path.
Old 02-23-16, 03:02 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
OK, I'll play.
I grabbed these as screen shots off some of my videos.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 02-23-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 03:51 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very interesting idea. I like it.
Will take some shots after it stops pouring outside
Old 02-23-16, 04:29 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I take a lot of photos that way. While this one doesn't show the road I was on, it captures a lot of beauty.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 02-23-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 07:00 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
OK, I'll play.
That's fascinating - these Go-Pros and Herocams just make it too easy, don't they? I see you are another guy who, like me, feels naked without a rearview mirror. I could never get used to those goofy things you wear on a hat or helmet. I need a real mirror, right where it would be when I'm riding a motorcycle or driving. Too many years on motorbikes, I guess. I've got two more bikes to capture this way, but that will have to wait until the salt is off the roads. Those are my babies...
Old 02-23-16, 07:08 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
OK, I'll play.

I love those handlebars!
Old 02-23-16, 07:09 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I take a lot of photos that way. While this one doesn't show the road I was on, it captures a lot of beauty.

Aw, now that is beautiful! Kind of makes me want another mountainbike. Kind of... but my old bones just made me shudder, right there. My mountain bike days were in the 1980s, at Mammoth and Big Bear, when they first became popular. I was stationed out there with the Marines at El Toro. But that was a long time ago, and a long ways from here. Thanks for that gorgeous image...
Old 02-23-16, 07:12 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
On board a borrowed bike share:

Citibike New York City by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Waaaaait a minute... you aren't Bike Snob NYC, incognito, are you? He was just writing about those...
Old 02-23-16, 07:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by DQRider
Aw, now that is beautiful! Kind of makes me want another mountainbike. Kind of... but my old bones just made me shudder, right there. My mountain bike days were in the 1980s, at Mammoth and Big Bear, when they first became popular. I was stationed out there with the Marines at El Toro. But that was a long time ago, and a long ways from here. Thanks for that gorgeous image...
Thank you for your service and for a great thread. This bike is actually a flat bar road bike I built and put drop bar ends on it. It's an oddball. This coming weekend it is getting gear reassignment surgery. It's getting transformed from a 3x9 to a 1x11 with an 11-40 cassette. This picture was taken on a ride from Mt Crested Butte CO to Cimmaron CO. I live in New Orleans and have found that my soul needs a journey to the wide open spaces of the west every now and then.
Old 02-23-16, 07:37 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Next time I'm out I'll have to get a shot. All I have is this one that I took when I bought the bike, but it doesn't show the Allegheny River Trail that I was on. 2014 Giant Escape 1, cheap Bell wireless cyclecomputer, $4 cree single AA flashlights which only last about half an hour.

Old 02-23-16, 08:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I really do have a lot of the behind bars shots. Here's one at the opposite end of the spectrum from the previous one, and unfortunately more representative of my normal ride. The bike is another build. It's my gravel/touring bike.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-24-16, 06:44 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Waaaaait a minute... you aren't Bike Snob NYC, incognito, are you? He was just writing about those...
Nah; I'm too bad of a writer to be that guy.
Old 02-24-16, 08:31 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

I really do have a lot of the behind bars shots. Here's one at the opposite end of the spectrum from the previous one, and unfortunately more representative of my normal ride. The bike is another build. It's my gravel/touring bike.
Well, that could only be one place: N'awllins - French Quarter? Just guessing, I've never been there. It's on my bucket list. Somewhere in the back of my mind is a notion to ride south, and follow the Mississippi River all the way down. That can only happen after I retire (IF I can retire!), or win some kind of lottery. It would really be epic if I did that trip on my DL1 Roadster - and just imagine how that would look in that environment!
Old 02-24-16, 08:35 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That's fascinating - these Go-Pros and Herocams just make it too easy, don't they? I see you are another guy who, like me, feels naked without a rearview mirror. I could never get used to those goofy things you wear on a hat or helmet. I need a real mirror, right where it would be when I'm riding a motorcycle or driving. Too many years on motorbikes, I guess. I've got two more bikes to capture this way, but that will have to wait until the salt is off the roads. Those are my babies...
I'm the opposite, I can't live without my helmet mirror. It gives you a much larger field of view than trying to see a small mirror several feet away from your face.

I'll try to take some pics like this maybe this weekend, hopefully on all 3 of my bikes.
Old 02-24-16, 08:40 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
OK, here's a challenge: lets see a shot down the road that includes something interesting reflected in the mirror.
Old 02-24-16, 08:49 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I'm the opposite, I can't live without my helmet mirror. It gives you a much larger field of view than trying to see a small mirror several feet away from your face.

I'll try to take some pics like this maybe this weekend, hopefully on all 3 of my bikes.
Cool, I look forward to seeing them.

As far as the mirror thing is concerned, I guess it's all about what you are used to. I concede your point about the wider FOV, but after almost 40 years on motorbikes, I don't see myself changing anything now. A question: If I have to use reading glasses to see anything close up, would that rule out the helmet mirror anyway? Or is it some kind of tricky physics thing, where the focal length is extended by the mirror? Just curious...
Old 02-24-16, 09:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by bargeon
OK, here's a challenge: lets see a shot down the road that includes something interesting reflected in the mirror.
I have a few good ones, but they were taken from my motorbike.
Old 02-24-16, 09:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Well, that could only be one place: N'awllins - French Quarter? Just guessing, I've never been there. It's on my bucket list. Somewhere in the back of my mind is a notion to ride south, and follow the Mississippi River all the way down. That can only happen after I retire (IF I can retire!), or win some kind of lottery. It would really be epic if I did that trip on my DL1 Roadster - and just imagine how that would look in that environment!
Yep, the Quarter. I have a pretty cool 30 mile loop I do through the area. If you ever make it down this way, we will ride it. It's an early Saturday or Sunday morning ride. This place sleeps late, so there is no traffic to compete with.
Old 02-24-16, 10:03 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Cool, I look forward to seeing them.

As far as the mirror thing is concerned, I guess it's all about what you are used to. I concede your point about the wider FOV, but after almost 40 years on motorbikes, I don't see myself changing anything now. A question: If I have to use reading glasses to see anything close up, would that rule out the helmet mirror anyway? Or is it some kind of tricky physics thing, where the focal length is extended by the mirror? Just curious...
When you look in a mirror, it's just as if you're looking at the combined distance from your eye to the mirror, and from the mirror to the object. So looking in a helmet mirror at something 100 feet behind you, is going to be the same as looking directly at something 100 feet away, essentially.

And of course the actual image in the mirror is only visible in my left eye, which is what you want because your two eyes can't overlay the views of something so close but visible to both eyes (try looking at your finger a couple of inches in front of your nose, you'll be seeing double).
Old 02-24-16, 12:49 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Ah that can only be Bourbon Street. Fun for the first couple of drinks, but then I used to just hop over to Frenchmen instead, or over to the R Bar. of course, most of my time in LA was in Houma or Not-So-Grand Isle, with a short stint in Venice
Old 02-24-16, 01:41 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Ah that can only be Bourbon Street. Fun for the first couple of drinks, but then I used to just hop over to Frenchmen instead, or over to the R Bar. of course, most of my time in LA was in Houma or Not-So-Grand Isle, with a short stint in Venice
I am not a party type at all. If I go there at night it's to be a DD for someone. It does make for an interesting part of my loop though. I work in Houma. It's struggling with the downfall of the energy industry.
Old 02-24-16, 02:05 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am not a party type at all. If I go there at night it's to be a DD for someone. It does make for an interesting part of my loop though. I work in Houma. It's struggling with the downfall of the energy industry.
Houma was growing like crazy when I was there from 2010-2013/14. I can only imagine places like Morgan City and are faring even worse - at least Houma is close enough to Nola that oil isn't the only industry around. If you ever have dinner at Cristiano's after work, have some char grilled oysters for me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.