Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 07-10-21, 09:53 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Most "innovations" are marketing...
So many clouds, so little time ...
Old 07-10-21, 05:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Sloping frames have been in continuous production since the 1880s. Second rate esthetically to my eye but all sorts of situations where a sloping top tube is the obvious solution. Which is why they have continued for over 130 years.

UCI has all sorts of rules I’d rather not defend. Most of those that riders like to hate on are purely for safety. The rule that gets the most attention and resistance is the one about keeping the saddle 5cm behind the BB. Very simply, sitting forward greatly increases the chances of flying over the handlebars when applying front brake. It’s physics. Many would rather deny physics than be told what to do. UCI has to draw line somewhere. Keeping the rule simple and universal is the only way to have a rule. Of course they screw themselves by enforcing erratically. The short rider who gets a DQ for being 4.5cm back has a real gripe. UCI has the choice of accepting a certain level of gripes or just having no rules.

Those who want to race with recumbents or with fairings can compete with IHPVA.

Right, I almost made the IHPVA comparison as well. What the IHPVA demonstrates is that it actually wouldn't be much of a technical challenge to build a, say, 40 mph consumer bike. The real problem is that there's really nowhere practical to ride the thing. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to ride an encased low-slung little buggy on anything but a closed track.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-21, 06:03 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Right, I almost made the IHPVA comparison as well. What the IHPVA demonstrates is that it actually wouldn't be much of a technical challenge to build a, say, 40 mph consumer bike. The real problem is that there's really nowhere practical to ride the thing. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to ride an encased low-slung little buggy on anything but a closed track.
Lack of ventilation. Poor visibility. Awkward position. What are we waiting for? 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-04-22, 05:56 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Would you prefer a 1978 car over a newer model?
I sure wouldn't. At least to drive.
i've driving lots of cars from the 50's 60's and on. Keep in mind, in Kansas, where i grew up, you got a learner's permit at 14 and a full license at 16...doubt if that's still true...so I had a full license in 1967. And then '55 Chevy's, etc, were just used cars...
If I had the room and the money, I would want something like '53 bike.As a decorative object (I'm very fond of 50's GM cars).
But to actually drive? HELL NO.
Modern cars are so vastly superior.
Old 06-04-22, 07:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1

But to actually drive? HELL NO.
Modern cars are so vastly superior.
lacking any nostalgia for the golden age of road bikes (missed it completely) i have to agree with you. things shouldn’t break so often that uber-simplicity of maintenance is a critical feature. that’s a bug, not a feature. i can see why people hate things like carbon or electronic shifting, but i’m over here not having touched my RD or FD in 1,500 miles and never once even heard the chain clicking from imperfect alignment. yes, the skills required to adjust it are different, but the ways in which it is better far outweigh any disadvantages for me.

just like a modern car. no, i can’t debut and reprogram the ECU. but i don’t need to……
Old 06-04-22, 10:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
I haven’t read all the posts, but no, a 1978 bike equipped with original 1978 components is a bad bargain.

And your 40 year old simple tools are of no value if you have to modernize components since original components might only be found in whatever condition at some co-op, or by pulling out the wallet and buying off eBay. You couldn’t even install a hyperglide cassette with those old tools.

As some others have said, 20 year old bike is a different subject; 9 speed, 130mm rear dropout, STI, hyperglide cassette, dual pivot brakes, etc. is more of what a “consumer” not an C&V enthusiast, might consider.

John
Old 06-05-22, 05:13 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
My frame is about 49 years old, and I've been riding it for 41. My Campagnolo Record hubs are still very smooth. I got a new Tange headset for $20-$30 a year ago. I can still get new chainrings for my TA Pro 5 vis cranks. My seatpost still meets today's standards, so I can buy new saddles. I can still get quill stems at almost any price, except that they start at a lower price than threadless and don't go up as high. Nitto makes Technomic stems, in fact, that will place the 'bars in a physically higher location to help my less flexible body, but they are not as pricey as the priciest threadless mast+stem available. Handlebars for my 25.4 mm stem are not in large supply, but I can get new ones for less than $40 ((though maybe it's today; I last looked a year ago). I just bought a hyperglide freewheel for under $20, including shipping.

I don't have the riding skills I had 40 years ago, but I don't have to shift much around here. Brifters are an advance, but they are incredibly ugly; I can get them if I want to go through the trouble of installing them.

C&V bikes look a lot better to me than many of the 'modern' bikes I see. Some of the modern bikes are uglier than anything ever produced in the C&V era.

I want to ride. The bike is primarily a tool. Decently-maintained C & V bikes work. That's enough.

It's one thing to prefer modern bikes over C&V. But if you think for a minute that a decent C&V bike can be anything but a great ride, you're doing yourself a disservice. There are lots of ways to skin animals, and there are lots of ways to enjoy a bike ride.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-06-22, 04:51 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is a consumer better off riding a 1978 steel road bike that's maintainable with simple tools I bought 40 years ago? Is much of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge. Eg, Is carbon anything as an anti-feature.​ ?
New technology is mostly useless for anyone but a pro, but of course the industry will use it as marketing to sell the masses a bunch of garbage they don't need. The main reason for carbon-fiber is as a marketing tool, and on an assembly-line it can eliminate human workers because it requires no welding or brazing. So as with most consumer goods, as time goes by the changes in them are more for the manufacturers than the consumer.

The performance of any bike/rider combination on the road is going to be 90+% rider, and ten or less percent the equipment. The biggest scam on cycling is the "IT is lighter" or " It is more Aerodynamic" trends. As long as your equipment is in good shape and you are not using it to make money then there is zero reason to "upgrade" to the latest garbage they are pushing on people.
Old 06-06-22, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mschwett
lacking any nostalgia for the golden age of road bikes (missed it completely) i have to agree with you. things shouldn’t break so often that uber-simplicity of maintenance is a critical feature. that’s a bug, not a feature. i can see why people hate things like carbon or electronic shifting, but i’m over here not having touched my RD or FD in 1,500 miles and never once even heard the chain clicking from imperfect alignment. yes, the skills required to adjust it are different, but the ways in which it is better far outweigh any disadvantages for me.

just like a modern car. no, i can’t debut and reprogram the ECU. but i don’t need to……

I'm sorry, but do you seriously think going 1500 miles without adjusting the derailleurs is a big deal for anything?

The car comparison is completely ridiculous. Today's decent bikes aren't fundamentally more durable, efficient or self-adjusting than decent bikes from previous decades. There's marginal improvements in some of those factors, but nothing like the really revolutionary changes in materials and controls in cars.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-22, 06:41 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Does this subject have any real meaning to anybody? The OP is just using reverse ego baiting. Take the ego out of the equation, and nobody cares.
Old 06-06-22, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Does this subject have any real meaning to anybody? The OP is just using reverse ego baiting. Take the ego out of the equation, and nobody cares.

I think the way the OP framed the question was ridiculous (borderline gibberish), but there is a reasonable question in there somewhere.

"What if anything will improve if I replace my 40 year old bike with a new one" is a reasonable question where people could meaningfully compare the technologies of the times. We'll have different opinions, but there are some objective differences that can be discussed.

But you're right--"how important will these differences be to me" is an entirely uninteresting topic of debate. How the hell would we know, and why should we care?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-22, 09:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Not a racer or ever claimed to be, just a recreational cyclist who enjoys speeding along (I know, not for everyone.). In my 30s, I could ride my 1980s 10 speed, down tube friction shifting, 23 lb Bianchi 18 MPH riding 50 miles alone. Now I have a new Bianchi with brifters, some ridiculous number of speeds, tubeless and discs, and 7 lbs lighter (the bike, not me - I weigh 10 lbs more) and even being 30+ years older can do the same distance at 17 MPH average with 2000’ climbing. The big difference is comfort, braking and much better gearing. When I get on the old Bianchi, it reminds me of driving a 70s era Pinto compared to my new bike which feels like a new sports car. Does the old bike work just fine? Yes of course it does, but it requires far more effort, is far less comfortable, and doesn’t do anything remarkably well. Can it get me there, yes. But having the choice, I’ll take the new bike every time and keep the old one for sentimental reasons. Of course we all have our own values and budgets so YMMV.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-06-22, 10:01 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Those 78 steel bikes were too damn complicated. Lets go back to penny farthings. Get rid of those nasty chains and tires you have to put air into. Anything newer is a bad bargain.
Old 06-06-22, 10:10 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,064 Posts
steel - aluminum - or carbon penny-farthing?

clipless or flat pedals ?
Old 06-06-22, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
When I get on the old Bianchi, it reminds me of driving a 70s era Pinto compared to my new bike which feels like a new sports car.
I had a '74 Pinto. Now I have a 911 4S. Other than the color, they're pretty much the same.
Old 06-06-22, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I had a '74 Pinto. Now I have a 911 4S. Other than the color, they're pretty much the same.

Ever notice that these "old bikes vs. new" threads always end up being about cars?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-22, 01:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
There's something better than a 1903 SA 3 speed or 1930 drum brakes?? LOL Funny.
I'll be impressed when Joe Schmoe can ride his $10,000 CF bike on the LEJOG faster than the steel SA 3 record in 1939.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-06-22 at 06:04 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 06-06-22, 01:57 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
One could argue the advances in electric motors, but lithium ion batteries for consumer use is the real innovation. From iPhones to Teslas, Li-ion batteries have changed the world.

The only except might be professional cycling.

John
Pretty sure Team Sky found a use for Li-ion batteries on their TDF bikes!
Old 06-06-22, 02:23 PM
mschwett 

I'm sorry, but do you seriously think going 1500 miles without adjusting the derailleurs is a big deal for anything?

The car comparison is completely ridiculous. Today's decent bikes aren't fundamentally more durable, efficient or self-adjusting than decent bikes from previous decades. There's marginal improvements in some of those factors, but nothing like the really revolutionary changes in materials and controls in cars.
my only point of comparison are other bikes with mechanical derailleurs, which have required adjustment more often than that. just my own experience - electronic shifting is more "reliable." could be an outlier. i didn't ride road bikes in the 80s, but i have ridden road bikes from the 80s, and i do think a modern carbon bike with electronic shifting, brifters, a wide gearing range, tubeless tires, a power meter, etc is noticeably better in ways that matter to me. i completely understand that those may not be ways that are better for someone else.
Old 06-06-22, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
my only point of comparison are other bikes with mechanical derailleurs, which have required adjustment more often than that. just my own experience - electronic shifting is more "reliable." could be an outlier. i didn't ride road bikes in the 80s, but i have ridden road bikes from the 80s, and i do think a modern carbon bike with electronic shifting, brifters, a wide gearing range, tubeless tires, a power meter, etc is noticeably better in ways that matter to me. i completely understand that those may not be ways that are better for someone else.

I don't have any problem with that, except I put many, many more than 1500 miles between adjustments on mechanical derailleurs. . My issue was with the notion that older bikes were less reliable and the suggestion that the ease of working on them was a bug, not a feature. Bicycles have pretty much always been very durable machines. I have no idea what the longevity of e-shifting components is going to be, but mechanical stuff has been lasting for many, many decades.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-22, 03:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Ever notice that these "old bikes vs. new" threads always end up being about cars?
its a mechanical relationship.
Old 06-06-22, 03:52 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

This thread ^^

​​​​Rolla more YouTube

Last edited by Germany_chris; 06-06-22 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 09:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
To change things up a bit, a modern Dyson is so much better than a vintage Sanitaire.

John
Old 06-06-22, 10:21 PM
mschwett 

I don't have any problem with that, except I put many, many more than 1500 miles between adjustments on mechanical derailleurs. . My issue was with the notion that older bikes were less reliable and the suggestion that the ease of working on them was a bug, not a feature. Bicycles have pretty much always been very durable machines. I have no idea what the longevity of e-shifting components is going to be, but mechanical stuff has been lasting for many, many decades.
i must have very bad luck with mechanical derailleurs. only perfect briefly until the cable stretches or something gets wiggled or who knows what, then the clicking starts and then after a while there's a shift in the middle which doesn't shift quickly, or doesn't shift at all, just goes click click click until the next shift and then it shifts twice. maybe 11 and 12 speed mechanical was just a bad idea to begin with.

no doubt these things can be fussed with until they're perfect, but by comparison my (only) di2 bike is completely trouble free, perfect shifts every time. snick snick. it seems like a genuine improvement with no downside other than cost.
Old 06-07-22, 12:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
As an interesting aside- there just wasn't a whole lot of innovations with the bicycle, between saying 1950 to 1980. This was the TdF winning bike from 1947:

Coppi

TdF bikes from 1978:

Hinault

The bikes look really similar - with steel lugged frame, down tube shifted derailleurs, toe strap pedals, tubular tires and side pull caliper brakes. There just wasn't too much in the way of innovations during those years. In a sense, a lot of what we think of as 'classic bikes', are a product of those 30-40 years of stagnation.
In the early 80's there was a big push towards aerodynamics. From there we had an explosion of new technology from the mid 80's to mid 90's- aero brakes, hidden cable routing, dual pivot brakes, brifters, clipless pedals, carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium, etc.... Again from the mid 2000's to the present time we have yet another big wave of innovations with electronic shifting, power meters, tubeless tires, hollow cranks, carbon fiber wheels, aero everything.

So one could think of the circa 1980 'classic bike' as a time tested, timeless, well rounded product, or you could also think of it as a hopeless dinosaur from an era of stagnation.
Love these sassy youngins! Era of stagnation, indeed. You mean the one where we landed on the moon using slide rules and an on-board computer with 2K of RW memory? That era?

In MY day, we had NINE planets!!! And don't you forget it, sonny!

Love those photos, btw!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.