Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel saddle feedback

Old 05-24-22, 03:59 AM
knersie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gravel saddle feedback

Greetings,

I've recently joined the gravel crowd, having recently bought an ibis Hakka MX.

The saddle which the custom builder put on the bike (Supacaz Scorch) is too firm for my sharp, narrow sit bones.

I'm a competitive cyclist, so more often that not, I settle onto the front of my saddle, when pushing. The problem with minimalist saddles, for me, occurs when I sit more upright, whether to rest, or climb ... and that's when my sit bones dig in. Since my new bike's geometry is more in the gravel ballpark, I'm likely to be more upright than I used to, esp compared to triathlons! I will be riding a mix of road and gravel, but probably more road for a while.

Given the above, I've narrowed down my choice to the following 3 saddles. I'd appreciate some feedback from folks who may either have tried or currently use them. Thanks.

- WTB SL8 Carbon (narrow)
- Sella Repente Artax GL
- Selle Italia X-LR TI316 Superflow

I'd also been considering the Specialized Phenom S-Works, in the same weight category, but I've already sold my left kidney to buy the bike and various other components. Anyone interested in an appendix?

Looking forward to some useful feedback, thanks!
Old 05-24-22, 06:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
My preference has been Fizik - I love the ALIANTE. Nashbar always seemed to have these available 50% off back in the day.

If you want to sell a kidney or appendix, get one of these instead of the Specialized.
ANTARES VERSUS EVO R3 ADAPTIVE (the 3D printed thingy). If that isn't enough, higher end versions can cost an additional $150. ;-)
Old 05-24-22, 08:34 AM
knersie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks chas58, I'll review the Aliante as well. Please confirm that you also have narrow sit bones? My geometry isn't run-of-the mill

Holding back on further body parts sales, for now.
Old 05-24-22, 02:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if you like the shape of the aliante, consider a fabric scoop radius. Has built in flex in the shell compared to most of the fiziks I've owned that are relatively stiff. The channeled models of the fabric saddles are a bit stiffer similar to the VS/versus fizik equivalents.
Likes For redlude97:
Old 05-24-22, 05:16 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
One of the most popular in the endurance crowd (and my favorite) is the Selle An Atomica.
Old 05-25-22, 05:57 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by knersie
Thanks chas58, I'll review the Aliante as well. Please confirm that you also have narrow sit bones? My geometry isn't run-of-the mill

Holding back on further body parts sales, for now.
they have two sizes. I'm average height/weight and probably fit better on the large size for longer distances (and narrower when I'm doing a short crit or track session). I'm guessing something in the 130's would work for ya. FYI, the Arione is better if you are in more of a race position and/or like a narrow saddle.

Originally Posted by redlude97
if you like the shape of the aliante, consider a fabric scoop radius. Has built in flex in the shell compared to most of the fiziks I've owned that are relatively stiff. The channeled models of the fabric saddles are a bit stiffer similar to the VS/versus fizik equivalents.
​​​​​​​That is a good bet too - better price point to boot! ;-)
Old 05-25-22, 10:09 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
I have narrow sitbones and always preferred the Selle Italia SLR...
Old 05-25-22, 10:43 AM
knersie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I have narrow sitbones and always preferred the Selle Italia SLR...
Thanks, I've looked it up. It's likely to be too short though. I currently find myself perched on the tip of my Supacaz Scorch when pushing hard, and it's 270mm in length, whereas the SLR is 248mm, so quite a difference. I guess the fit will have more to do with where the rails are and the eventual horizontal position of the saddle tip w.r.t the handlebars.
Old 05-25-22, 10:48 AM
knersie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
One of the most popular in the endurance crowd (and my favorite) is the Selle An Atomica.
Wow, what an about turn on modern synthetic saddles! Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have the budget to tinker with saddles so different to what I've tried before. If only one could test, then buy ... this supply problem makes component buying/testing so expensive. Buy, ship, not suitable, ship back ...

When you speak of endurance, are you referring to easy cruising, or pushing hard (racing)? 200km racing?
Old 05-26-22, 01:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
As is true for all saddle discussions, what I like has no bearing on what you like. The concept of a special saddle for gravel doesn't compute with me. I use the same saddle on all my bikes. It happens to be E3 Form (no longer made) and its successor Kontact. But I don't recommend them other to say, it's a little known brand and worth checking out. it's got a narrow nose and flat sitting surface, no cutout.
Old 05-26-22, 06:49 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Camilo
As is true for all saddle discussions, what I like has no bearing on what you like. The concept of a special saddle for gravel doesn't compute with me. I use the same saddle on all my bikes. It happens to be E3 Form (no longer made) and its successor Kontact. But I don't recommend them other to say, it's a little known brand and worth checking out. it's got a narrow nose and flat sitting surface, no cutout.
I had an Ergon like that, if you are looking. I loved it for the track where I was pulling high G forces and the flat surface was comfortable (they make road and gravel versions). Unfortunately pulling 2-3 G's consistently caused the thing to break (as it tends to with anything rated ~250lbs).
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-28-22, 02:08 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I agree there is really no such thing as a gravel saddle, but the Berk Dila saddle on gravel works very well. Immediate feeling is like a suspension seatpost - the saddle eats up so much vibration that it’s hard to believe how comfortable it is. Also crazy light and expensive, but comfort is important!
Old 05-30-22, 12:45 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I find my gravel saddle preference to be the same as my pavement saddle preferences. No difference for.

MTB is a different for me.