Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Trans Am Bike Race 2022??

Old 06-01-22, 06:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Trans Am Bike Race 2022??

I am trying to find a list of participants and any information on this year's race. The official TABR website and affiliate Rideyrbike have nothing nor does the Facebook group as best I can see. It should be starting Sunday at 6 am from the Museum on the waterfront or at least historically that is the start.

Supposedly, two velomobiles are entering. Both rode from Florida to the start.

Does anyone have a link or hint how to follow it??

(TABR is 4500 mile, 250,000 foot of climbing unsupported across the USA race......only 4250 without bonus miles)
Old 06-01-22, 06:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
They have their own tracking site this year. Let me see if I can find it

there is an app, called RideYrBike
I'm not sure if I'm going to dot watch this year if I have to look at the results on my phone

Okay, it's on trackleaders too. It's not a great way of seeing a list of riders, but it's there https://trackleaders.com/transam22

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-01-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-01-22, 06:09 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by unterhausen
They have their own tracking site this year. Let me see if I can find it

there is an app, called RideYrBike
I'm not sure if I'm going to dot watch this year if I have to look at the results on my phone
Agreed.

I don't do Apps on my phone.

Bummer. Thanks. Schlitter or Lewis will be first anway.
Old 06-07-22, 06:06 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Is anyone using this RideYrBike app? I have it installed on my phone but if it does anything useful i haven't figured it out.
Old 06-07-22, 06:17 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Schlitter or Lewis will be first anway.
Neither of them are racing.
Old 06-07-22, 06:18 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Steamer
Neither of them are racing.
Yes. I read that they bailed well before the start. Too bad, it would have been interesting.
Old 06-07-22, 06:50 AM
Steamer

Yes. I read that they bailed well before the start. Too bad, it would have been interesting.
As you probably read, they rode west across the country last month, but had lots of mechanical difficulties. I am not sure if that, or other factors, caused them to nix the race.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 06-07-22, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It worked for Lael Wilcox
Okay, she rode from Alaska. Or was that the Divide race?
Old 06-07-22, 01:02 PM
GhostRider62

As you probably read, they rode west across the country last month, but had lots of mechanical difficulties. I am not sure if that, or other factors, caused them to nix the race.
Yes, I think some suspension parts broke and they peeled off in Colorado approximately. I don't know what velomobile makes/models but as you know, some of those bits and pieces are not easily procured. My A7 front "shock" was broken in transit in a crate and the only way to have it fixed was taking another rider's "shock" ......I would guess something like that messed them up. The rumble strips are wicked violent and would not be surprised if a fatigued component gave way.
Old 06-07-22, 01:44 PM
Steamer

Yes, I think some suspension parts broke and they peeled off in Colorado approximately. I don't know what velomobile makes/models but as you know, some of those bits and pieces are not easily procured. My A7 front "shock" was broken in transit in a crate and the only way to have it fixed was taking another rider's "shock" ......I would guess something like that messed them up. The rumble strips are wicked violent and would not be surprised if a fatigued component gave way.
It seems to be a good 50% of the discussions in velomobile forums - how to keep them running.. Proprietary parts greatly adding to the challenge. Maybe someday I'll live in a place better suited to a velo's strengths. By then perhaps they will be more reliable.

It's a miracle that Dave and Marcel Gerber got through TABR several years ago without major mechanical problems.

by the way, I did a little searching and found this: https://www.lilyandlaurabracelets.co...elomobile-blog

Not really about mechanicals. More like personal decisions. At least for Dave.
Old 06-07-22, 02:05 PM
GhostRider62

It seems to be a good 50% of the discussions in velomobile forums - how to keep them running.. Proprietary parts greatly adding to the challenge. Maybe someday I'll live in a place better suited to a velo's strengths. By then perhaps they will be more reliable.

It's a miracle that Dave and Marcel Gerber got through TABR several years ago without major mechanical problems.

by the way, I did a little searching and found this: https://www.lilyandlaurabracelets.co...elomobile-blog

Not really about mechanicals. More like personal decisions. At least for Dave.
Thanks for sharing that, I can relate. I did not do much serious bicycling for many, many years to raise my family. I rode a little but nothing serious. Racing at his level or even just doing stuff like PBP takes a lot of time, energy, and commitment.

I thought something broke and another velomobile rider/rando was trying to send his spare parts out to Boulder but I am probably wrong. Dave's post makes a lot of sense, good on him.