Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Slightly sideways-bent rear dropout aluminium

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-03-23, 11:36 AM
Jsendin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I have an alu frame where the right-hand rear drop-out is slightly bent inwards (to the left). It is the style that has a derailleur pad with two screws that connects to the frame. The bike was unable to make it onto the lowest gear at the back - if I adjusted the L screw then the derailleur would go it the wheel.

So I did a bit of a hack, whereby I put 2 very small washers between the pad and the rear drop-out. This had the effect of minimising the tilt of the derailleur pad inwards. This way I am able to get all the gears... but the indexing (predictably) is a bit off.

So a couple of options:
  • Keep the hack job
  • returning to the default and just never using the lowest gear (it has a granny gear anyhow)
  • More radical option could be to bend the dropout straight, knowing full well that alu does not bend well... but it doesn't seem very bent does it?
Pics below show the misaligned derailleur pad before the hack job which straightened it somewhat

So my question is, is trying to bend it back a no-go?
Old 01-03-23, 11:37 AM
Jsendin

Old 01-03-23, 11:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Take it to a shop, where they will use the proper tool to realign it with the least stress to the material.
Old 01-03-23, 12:13 PM
Jsendin

Hey Koyote would that be something like this? Reckon, I may buy one myself as they are not excessively expensive

https://hollandbikeshop.com/fietsger...xoCySEQAvD_BwE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgEEBI&adurl=
Old 01-03-23, 12:23 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsendin
Hey Koyote would that be something like this? Reckon, I may buy one myself as they are not excessively expensive

https://hollandbikeshop.com/fietsger...xoCySEQAvD_BwE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgEEBI&adurl=

Pretty sure those are dropout alignment tools. They're used to make sure the dropout ends are parallel to one another.

To align a derailleur hanger, you'll need a hanger alignment tool like the Park Tool DAG-1, DAG-2.2, or DAG-3. I'm sure Cyclus makes one too, but I have no idea of its designation.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 01-03-23, 12:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Pretty sure those are dropout alignment tools. They're used to make sure the dropout ends are parallel to one another.

To align a derailleur hanger, you'll need a hanger alignment tool like the Park Tool DAG-1, DAG-2.2, or DAG-3. I'm sure Cyclus makes one too, but I have no idea of its designation.
Yes, those are dropout alignment tools (and they are great quality, BTW). Cyclus makes this tool for aligning the hanger:

Cyclus Tools Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool | BIKE24
Old 01-03-23, 12:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
The dropout alignment tool is typically used on steel frames where things can sometimes be bent if things are out of alignment in the dropouts. You would need a hanger alignment gauge/tool but you would also want the knowledge on how to use it and to get a quality one. Just yanking on it could make things worse.

Here are the tools I would recommend for the job either one of these works and yes they cost money. I am not of the mindset of buying cheap tools because I am not a rich person so I don't have time for poor tools I want something that works and works well:
Abbey HAG
Shimano TL-RD11
Park Tool DAG-3
Park Tool DAG-2.2
EVT Ultra Tru Arc
Unior Hanger Genie

If you do not wish to own one of these tools and learn how to use it properly just go down to your local shop and see if they can align it or consider a new derailleur hanger. I would rather pay someone with the tools, time and knowledge on how to use them if I wasn't confident in my work or didn't want to buy the correct tool. That way I can get back to my life and let someone else do it. Time is money and cheap tools are a lot of money!
Old 01-03-23, 12:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
It looks to me like the dropout itself is bent also so that needs to be addressed also (and first since whatever you do to it will change the hanger alignment). Not straightening the dropout will have the effect of trying to bend and break the hub axle.

Getting both tools will put you in a good place for future bike repairs but we are talking quite a bit of money for tools you might need every 5 or 10 years. A shop's got then and will charge you maybe $50 bucks.

Another issue - this is aluminum. Aluminum doesn't like being bent and is prone to stress cracking and breaking in two at a random time later. You would be smart to have the dropout straightened by a good mechanic with a good touch (and still keep in the back of your mind that dropout has been compromised, The hanger should be a lot simpler. Ride this one only for as long as it take to find a replacement. A shop that carries your bike brand is your friend here. (And your micky-mouse hanger fix is probably superior to bending the hanger back in terms of the aluminum's remaining lifespan although a tough way to dial in an alignment that should be close to perfect for happy derailleurs and shifting.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-03-23, 12:50 PM
smd4

I'd have no qualms whatsoever about straightening the dropout (if it is indeed bent), and straightening that hanger.
Old 01-03-23, 02:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
I'd align the dropouts with the old hanger, then replace the hanger and align that
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-03-23, 09:54 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 988 Posts
Dropouts are somewhat hard, but you don't have a choice but to bend it back into shape. If it fails, then it was already smoked.

Hangers are soft aluminum and are designed to bend a bit more than once. If it doesn't crack, it's good until something bends or breaks it. Shifting doesn't stress the hanger much.

Having a soft touch and using those tools often are the best guarantees of success. Shops do not charge much for aligning hangers and dropouts.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-03-23, 10:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I'd have no qualms whatsoever about straightening the dropout (if it is indeed bent), and straightening that hanger.
And I have no qualms about viewing a bent Al frame as a write off. Being such and knowing that a rear dropout "failure" is rarely a riding/control crisis I would also try bending things straight. I just wouldn't represent the repair as being a long term solution. Andy
Old 01-03-23, 10:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Post #3 is as good an answer as you're going to get:

Originally Posted by Koyote
Take it to a shop, where they will use the proper tool to realign it with the least stress to the material.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-04-23, 07:26 AM
Jsendin

Thanks all for the quick response and info

It seems I have conflated hangars and drop-outs ...probably cos I've worked almost exclusively on steel frames where this is often one thing

veganbikes thank you for the extensive list of recommended tools. I agree that cheap tools are expensive

Just watched Calvin Jones demo the Dag 2.2 - complete with him smashing a rear derailleur with a rock haha.

I am keen to own as many tools as possible but can see why folks are directing to bikeshop

Last edited by Jsendin; 01-04-23 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-04-23, 09:15 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Jsendin
Thanks all for the quick response and info

It seems I have conflated hangars and drop-outs ...probably cos I've worked almost exclusively on steel frames where this is often one thing

veganbikes thank you for the extensive list of recommended tools. I agree that cheap tools are expensive

Just watched Calvin Jones demo the Dag 2.2 - complete with him smashing a rear derailleur with a rock haha.

I am keen to own as many tools as possible but can see why folks are directing to bikeshop
Regardless of material or having a separate hanger, the two always need to be treated separately. Dropouts are straightened with tools that replace the hub. Hangars must be straightened with a hub rigidly holding the straight dropouts in place, or you'll just be tweaking the dropout when trying to straighten the hanger, and then the hanger will move with the wheel is put back in.

Generally speaking, if the dropout was flexible enough to bend in the first place, it will bend back. Old Klein aluminum dropouts were too heavy to bend.
Old 01-04-23, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
It looks to me like the bend is in the rear of the dropout, not the derailer hanger itself. And that part of the frame looks pretty stout, even for being aluminum. Ergo, you're going to have to re-bend the aluminum dropout (behind the axle mount) to fix it, and deal with the possibility of the aluminum cracking as a result.

I think O.P.'s washer solution is elegant, and I'd be tempted to use it as is and to leave well enough alone. If you really want to, as recommended, get somebody else with tools and experience (your LBS) to fix it for you -- and keep your fingers crossed!
Old 01-04-23, 11:40 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by pdlamb
you're going to have to re-bend the aluminum dropout (behind the axle mount) to fix it, and deal with the possibility of the aluminum cracking as a result.
Why the thought that slightly bent aluminum will crack just by looking at it funny? Breaking news: Aluminum can be bent.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-04-23, 12:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Dropouts are somewhat hard, but you don't have a choice but to bend it back into shape. If it fails, then it was already smoked.
Look at it this way. If you don't straighten it, it will just go on destroying rear hubs.
Old 01-04-23, 02:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Why the thought that slightly bent aluminum will crack just by looking at it funny? Breaking news: Aluminum can be bent.
Depending on alloy and heat treatment ("tempering"), sure, aluminum can be bent. But thin, lightweight tubing the thickness of a beer can would not be a good idea to make a bike frame, unless it were tempered to be rigid. Problem is, that heat treatment also makes it brittle, so repeatedly bending it can make it break. And before you say "the dropout is thicker than a beer can" remember the heat treatment is normally done after welding on the frame is complete, thus the dropout has been heat treated to make it more rigid.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-04-23, 06:18 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
because this is BeikForumz. Any Aluminum bike that has more than a blemish in the paint has been compromised and is an unrepairable accident waiting to happen.

Steel is Real!
How dare you question the Keepers of the Isoterica?
Old 01-04-23, 08:12 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Depending on alloy and heat treatment ("tempering"), sure, aluminum can be bent. But thin, lightweight tubing the thickness of a beer can would not be a good idea to make a bike frame, unless it were tempered to be rigid. Problem is, that heat treatment also makes it brittle, so repeatedly bending it can make it break. And before you say "the dropout is thicker than a beer can" remember the heat treatment is normally done after welding on the frame is complete, thus the dropout has been heat treated to make it more rigid.
Aluminum frames aren't heat treated for increased hardness. Sometimes the tubes are from the manufacturer, like 7075.
Old 01-04-23, 09:33 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Aluminum frames aren't heat treated for increased hardness. Sometimes the tubes are from the manufacturer, like 7075.

​​​​​​https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-the...um-Frames.html
Old 01-04-23, 11:32 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by dedhed
Congratulations on finding the newsworthy exception. The OP's frame was not hardened via heat treating. It was probably stress relieved - something Cannondale famously did not do in the '80s.

You are incorrect in saying that thin walled aluminum frames must be hardened. I rode an unhardened and probably not stress relieved Cannondale for 20 years.
Old 01-05-23, 01:40 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Back to the derailleur hanger - I think it's a good idea to have a spare on hand, just because. First, you might not be able to get one quickly when you need it. Second, although derailleur hangers can often be gently bent back into alignment, it's also pretty common for them to break during alignment. So get a new one for a spare or to replace the one that's bent. If you can't get one directly from the frame manufacturer, Wheels Manufacturing has a bunch of them, some for specific frames, some that are more generic and you have to match what you need with what they have (shape, number of attachments, etc.).
Old 01-05-23, 08:58 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I think it may be time to put that one out to pasture

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.