Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Reverse Two A Days

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Reverse Two A Days

Old 04-30-23, 01:58 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Reverse Two A Days

In HS and college sports the preseason practices used two practices a day to speed up the process of conditioning. I call this thread "Reverse" because my question is whether two a day rides can help avoid overtraining/repetitive use injuries. For example, if one is riding 20 miles a day normally, would two 10-mile rides, with a break in between, be less likely to lead to injury?
Old 04-30-23, 03:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
It probably depends on exactly what your goals are. Are you training for the TdF or a short track race?

I don't ride every day. Three usually, four sometimes and other weeks maybe one or none. But for short rides of 20 miles or even long rides, I'm not really warmed up and performing at my best until about mile 18.
Old 05-01-23, 08:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Two 10 mile rides in a day is called commuting! It's a good way to build endurance, since in the beginning you have a work day to recover (assuming you're working a desk job). You have the opportunity to split rides such that one is an interval session with an extra recovery ride in the day. As your fitness develops, you may notice that you need to extend the ride home to continue to increase your stamina.

If there's a downside, it's that you'll want to include one or two longer rides every week, because a steady diet of only two 10-milers gets you ready for perhaps 15 mile long rides.