Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1982) PEUGEOT CFX-10

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23, 08:29 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-04-23, 12:08 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
Peugeot frames either with 531,708,653 and 753 tubing are among the best ones ever made.
Old 03-04-23, 07:46 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
These were VERY a popular with racers in my area in the early to mid 1980s. Everybody that I knew who had one loved it. The fundamentals were so good if the finishing was not. They were stuck together well and as noted in the article were always dead straight ( as were most Peugeots). They also had a great road racing geometry. I had one as my first racing bike as a junior and then beginning senior. After years of (ab)use, I sent it to Mr. Barry in Toronto for a refinishing and asked him to clean things up a bit to make it look like I remembered it as opposed to how it actually was. He remarked at the time that it was still remarkably straight on the alignment table and also said that he was always impressed about how nice the brazing was that was visible inside the BB. He also rechromed the fork as the original chrome job could best be described as “ industrial” . Great bikes at an incredible price back in the day.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 03-04-23, 08:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I worked in a Peugeot shop in the 1980s. It was primarily a Peugeot shop and we sold a lot of them. On the less expensive bikes, Peugeot didn't do the same level of finishing work you would find on a comparable Japanese bike. That said, they were solid, well built and thought out bikes. This CFX 10 frame (or the PXN 10 which was the complete bike) didn't have the same level of finishing work as an Italian bike. The Peugeot was a heck of a lot less expensive. These are great riding bikes. By the 80s, Peugeot spec'd simplex drop outs that worked with campy derailleurs and the parts group on the PXN 10 was good stuff. The derailleurs worked and shifted well. This is my '82 Peugeot PXN 10; the RD is a bit forward in the pic as I still needed to adjust it a bit. The bike is fairly original but I swapped out the stronglight 106 crank for an 86 bcd crank to get better climbing gears (I'm running 50/36 rings with a 14-28 freewheel).

There are some neat things about how Peugeot spec'd the bike that make them, IMO, versatile racing bikes. There is plenty of room for 28c tires. Some of the racing bikes in that era had a tight fit if you tried to run a larger volume tire. The Simplex SX410 rear derailleur can handle a 30 tooth cog. It's easy finding a simplex crank that can run smaller chain rings than the 144bcd crank that came stock on the bike if you want to run a "compact" crank. The Mavic rims that came stock on the bike are first rate.

This bike was built for an eroica ride long before that became a thing.

Last edited by bikemig; 03-04-23 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 01:11 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I worked in a Peugeot shop in the 1980s. It was primarily a Peugeot shop and we sold a lot of them. On the less expensive bikes, Peugeot didn't do the same level of finishing work you would find on a comparable Japanese bike. That said, they were solid, well built and thought out bikes. This CFX 10 frame (or the PXN 10 which was the complete bike) didn't have the same level of finishing work as an Italian bike. The Peugeot was a heck of a lot less expensive. These are great riding bikes. By the 80s, Peugeot spec'd simplex drop outs that worked with campy derailleurs and the parts group on the PXN 10 was good stuff. The derailleurs worked and shifted well. This is my '82 Peugeot PXN 10; the RD is a bit forward in the pic as I still needed to adjust it a bit. The bike is fairly original but I swapped out the stronglight 106 crank for an 86 bcd crank to get better climbing gears (I'm running 50/36 rings with a 14-28 freewheel).

There are some neat things about how Peugeot spec'd the bike that make them, IMO, versatile racing bikes. There is plenty of room for 28c tires. Some of the racing bikes in that era had a tight fit if you tried to run a larger volume tire. The Simplex SX410 rear derailleur can handle a 30 tooth cog. It's easy finding a simplex crank that can run smaller chain rings than the 144bcd crank that came stock on the bike if you want to run a "compact" crank. The Mavic rims that came stock on the bike are first rate.

This bike was built for an eroica ride long before that became a thing.

I love the 86bcd. Wish it had continued.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-05-23, 02:44 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite

Capturing the Brooks advert. Lon once stated he would saturate the underside of the saddle with motor oil.
Also spotted are the aero brake levers for 1982.
Old 03-05-23, 02:54 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Peugeot frames either with 531,708,653 and 753 tubing are among the best ones ever made.
Maybe among their 'own' label back then, and as a very high volume producer, but certainly not the highest quality among bike makers.

Anyways, I would add the Super Vitus 980 tubing used in the Peugeot PSV10 models as one of their best for lightweight and comfort. Not suitable for touring nor tall frames, but they really are one to experience.
Old 03-05-23, 03:40 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Maybe among their 'own' label back then, and as a very high volume producer, but certainly not the highest quality among bike makers.

Anyways, I would add the Super Vitus 980 tubing used in the Peugeot PSV10 models as one of their best for lightweight and comfort. Not suitable for touring nor tall frames, but they really are one to experience.
The Peugeot Prestige shop was top end, https://classiclightweights.net/fran...-peugeot-py10/

The production Peugeot racing bikes were not as finely finished as the Italian racing bikes of their day but they were very well made bikes and are much easier to mod that most Italian racing bikes in terms of gearing and tire volume.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-05-23, 03:52 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped

The equipe Z back thenwas riding 653 and 753 made reynolds frames. They weren't their own black labels but their own production frames,even the Peugeot Chorus made of Reynolds 753 was build by hand as was the 1989 Peugeot Racing Team Mab Z Reynolds 653 and the 1992 Peugeot Racing Team Reynolds 708 , those were hand brazed and made in small quantities.I have the CF 708 PC which is a Peugeot Prestige regarding my model and despite being 31 years old it is still a lightweight frame.I am upgrading to Dura Ace 10 speed 7800 very soon. From 1998 till 2003 Peugeot proposed Team Line bikes which were a la carte made bikes their road racing bikes included a Columbus Hyperion Titanium Frame, a Columbus Altec frame, a Columbus Genius frame, a Columbus Neuron frame and a Columbus Brain frame. Maybe the Peugeot from the 70's like the PX10 are not the highest quality but for those who are knowledgeable Reynolds tubing, know that the 708, 731 OS and the 653 were very high quality tubing own even though not being a 753

Even back in the day in the late 80's early 90's, high end Reynolds steel made Peugeot frames were quite rare even more so today.
Likes For georges1: