Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2023 Start(ing back) Up guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-23, 08:31 AM
JimiMimni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2023 Start(ing back) Up guide

Hey gang, I wanted to check in with the hive mind as it looks like I might get to start racing again since BVV is opening back up! After a 5 year hiatus from racing, with only a handful of cogs and chainrings left in my garage, I've got some questions about gear.

What still exists for affordable roughly aero-shaped frames? I foolishly sold, and don't have the budget to replace, my TK1, power meter, and 80mm carbon wheels, but I don't want a noodley tarck bike fixie crit heap, either.

Tubeless tires will still kill everyone on the track and half of the infield, right?

Are mortals riding higher teeth combos for efficiency, or is that only at the highest levels? I.e. Using a 56-16 instead of a 49-14 to make a 94".

3/32" is exclusively for pursuit as that weak spacing is guaranteed to break, and again kill all riders on track?

Thanks for weighing in, and apologies for hyperbole, tongue-in-cheek, and outright sarcasm.

Last edited by JimiMimni; 04-26-23 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 06:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Your TK1 whould still be fine. No reason to replace it. Same for your PM and wheels.

Yes, avoid tubeless.

A lot of people have moved to higher teeth combos. It's more efficient for chain friction. I think a 55 is now the smallest ring I take with me most days.

Lastly, I think most sprinters are on 1/8. Some enduros are on 3/32.
Old 04-26-23, 08:02 AM
JimiMimni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Your TK1 whould still be fine. No reason to replace it. Same for your PM and wheels.

Yes, avoid tubeless.

A lot of people have moved to higher teeth combos. It's more efficient for chain friction. I think a 55 is now the smallest ring I take with me most days.

Lastly, I think most sprinters are on 1/8. Some enduros are on 3/32.
Thanks for the response! I wasn't clear, I sold the TK1. Trying to find a proper machine is surprisingly hard right now.
Old 04-26-23, 11:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Dolan DF4, Velo Flyer BTB or Velobike M2 are all good, reasonably priced frames.