Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Another epidural

Old 05-08-23, 08:04 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Another epidural

I have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and I have to get a epidural every year or a little longer every year. Every time I get one they hit a nerve. The last one I got made my hand and arm numb. That’s been 5 months ago. The doctor said he didn’t hit a nerve. What made me numb then. Yes doctors do lie. Not as bad as car salesman, but close.

I really hope I don’t have to quit riding, but this is really wearing me down and I just wanted to pass that on.
By the way, no more epidurals.

Im starting therapy next week.
Old 05-08-23, 09:17 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Why would you get an epidural for arthritis? Are they doing a surgical procedure or something?

(My wife has very bad hips and knees from arthritis; this is genuine interest.)
Old 05-08-23, 09:40 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Steroid injection to reduce cervical nerve compression/inflammation is a fairly common procedure and assume that is what OP had. Arthristis in the neck is called Cervical spondylosis, it narrows the canal and some of the joints where the nerves exit where they are impinged. I get several per year for C4-6 but the Doc has to enter at T1 or T2 on me and then goes upwards in the canal. There is no space to enter on my cervical spine at C5/6. I worry more about nicking the dura because there is not much room to navigate although under Fluoroscope, he isn't flying blind. There can be a couple of days of increased ulnar numbness until the bolus seems to dissipate and the steroid begins to work. It is an unnerving procedure.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-08-23, 12:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
I've had 6 spinal taps (volunteer research subject). One time she hit a nerve and I just about passed out - it was like a bolt of lightning hit me, then it felt like I was drowning.
Old 05-08-23, 01:56 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I've had 6 spinal taps (volunteer research subject). One time she hit a nerve and I just about passed out - it was like a bolt of lightning hit me, then it felt like I was drowning.
What pisses me off more is when he said he didn’t hit it. It’s a hell of a way to find a good doctor or bad doctor . My arthritis causes bone spurs, so this keeps the problem coming back.
Old 05-10-23, 03:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, I need similar treatment for several cervical spine stenosis. My ortho doc seems really good but we haven't been able to do the injections. There's no penetration of the dura in this procedure, but it's still considered surgery (the surgeon said the injection is guided with real-time imaging of some kind) and the clinic won't do it unless I'm accompanied by someone who will stay in the waiting room and drive me home. I'm not married, have no family in the area, and it's a pain in the neck to arrange for someone willing to devote an entire day to accompanying feeble old folks for day surgery.

I was scheduled for this procedure in December and supposedly my insurance covered the cost of a driver who would accompany me throughout the procedure, but at the last moment the insurance carrier declined to cover it. This is such a common problem that the NY Times ran an article on the issue several weeks ago -- folks neglecting needed or helpful day surgery because they can't arrange for the required companion to drive to and from the clinic and wait throughout for the patient.

So far it's limited my bike rides to about an hour. I can manage longer exercise sessions jogging or walking briskly. I suppose a recumbent would enable me to ride longer sessions, but there's no way I'm riding a recumbent in my area with so many negligent and hostile drivers. The trend toward SUVs and pickups with elevated grills comparable to commercial trucks makes anyone less than six feet tall invisible to inattentive drivers.