Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Track Bike - Argon18 Electron, Giant Omnium or Planet X

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Bike - Argon18 Electron, Giant Omnium or Planet X

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 10:03 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
I have a Cervelo aluminum frame road bike - when I first rode it I had a creak that I though was my bottom bracket - turns out it was the seat post rubbing inside the seat tube. I learned to grease the seat post every year and the creak disappeared (although an aero seat post it has never slipped in several years).
Aero seatpost on mine has been checked and even some carbon paste applied to it just in case that was it. Everything from the cranks to the pedals to the seatpost and saddle, fork, headset, stem, bars all the way down to checking the threads on the bottom bracket tube. It still creaks. Frame was checked for stress fractures by myself and two others at the bike shop. We have found nothing.
Old 07-25-22, 07:31 PM
Bisexcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hah

Originally Posted by myth001
LOL. None of the above.

I liked Argon, but as all the rental bikes in my Velo were Argons, I didn't want to blend in.

So, I chose Jamis Sonik (JAMIS BICYCLES).

The handlebar was massive for my size, so I removed it rightaway. I had a spare Most Talon intergrated bar for my road bike. Am using that for now, and love it.

My a$$ is used to the Prologo Zero, and I had a spare one. So, I swapped that too.

Also, I read some reviews on the crankset that was included, so I swapped that with a Miche (didn't research enough at the time, otherwise would've gone for Sugino, LOL).

The frame fits great for me right now. I'm totally comfortable on it. The possible future upgrades I can think of are better wheels, and a Sugino chainring. Again, for now, that's not a must.

I didn't go full-carbon for my first track frame, as I've heard of the little falls for a newbie like me that can damage the frame. I don't repent that decision. I'll ride this for a year or two, and then decide on how my upgrade-itch is faring.
That's so funny after all that questioning ya got a sonik. 2021 season I bought a sonik 09 for $1000 about original msrp. Sometimes we just like to banter about bikes before making decisions. It's great but the carbon fsa cranks latterly flex a lot... I'm not sure if it's the rear triangle frame but I can tell it's not as stiff.

Otherwise the wheels is what's most important anyway. and I'll be the only sonik on the track for a long long long time. I found a spare aero seatpost in case.
Old 07-25-22, 07:34 PM
Bisexcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Just wondering if you are experiencing any creaking near the bottom bracket? I have an '09 Sonik and mine creaks a little. Bike has been torn down all the way to the BB being removed and inspected.
Does your crank flex. I have the same sonik and can bend it laterally
Old 07-26-22, 06:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Why do you keep replying to very old posts?
Likes For topflightpro: