Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living car free, 5 year predictions

Old 03-01-18, 02:44 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tandempower
I don't know why people would own their own self-driving car
The same reasons they might want to own a non-driverless car. So they can hop in it and go when they want to. So they can keep it filled with their personal items always easily accessible. So the quality of the vehicle they ride in is to their personal liking. As a status symbol. Because they live in a rural area without other options, etc.

...but if they did, they could still leave it for the towing service and take a ride in another vehicle to go somewhere else.
What if they don't want to layout money for a tow? Ever drive at night in southwest Atlanta? Leave it for the towing service if the towing service gets there first...

Last edited by Walter S; 03-01-18 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 03:02 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Seems like some people are really set on avoiding sweat.
When I bike to work, yes, absolutely!

I'm not a morning person so I always seem to be coming in to work without much time to spare, trying to get there on time, but without breaking into a sweat. If I rush a bit, and start to sweat, it actually delays me further, as then I have to cool down for a few minutes before starting my workday, which typically involves a lot of face-to face meetings.

It's mainly only a problem above 30C/86F, and we don't get a lot of those days, but we do get very high humidity in summer.
Old 03-01-18, 03:09 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
When I bike to work, yes, absolutely!

I'm not a morning person so I always seem to be coming in to work without much time to spare, trying to get there on time, but without breaking into a sweat. If I rush a bit, and start to sweat, it actually delays me further, as then I have to cool down for a few minutes before starting my workday, which typically involves a lot of face-to face meetings.

It's mainly only a problem above 30C/86F, and we don't get a lot of those days, but we do get very high humidity in summer.
Makes sense. I AM a morning person (been getting up 4 a.m. for the last 35 years or so). I have a pretty hilly ride too. For some of those hills I'm going to start sweating before I get to the top unless I get off and push. Down here in Atlanta on a summertime commute to work I'll literally be drenched with sweat - i.e. dripping off me as I walk etc. No sweat - no bike ride.
Old 03-01-18, 04:05 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If a person is more comfortable riding slowly and not carrying a change of clothes ... I don't know where cooker works ,... but most of the places I have worked (except working from home) people made it inconvenient to some small extent to change, wash, store wet clothes ....

I understand that most people in a place of business don't want sweaty clothes hanging anywhere ... or wet clothes on a rainy day. Can't blame them.

I also know that when I was commuting in Florida it took half an hour or 45 minutes for my core temperature to drop in the summer ... meaning I could wash as much as I liked, i was still going to sweat a river for the first 30 minutes after I arrived.

When I worked in air-conditioned offices the sweating time was shorter ... but still, I couldn't put on my work clothes fro half an hour, which had to be added to my commute time.
Many moons ago I worked for a big office equipment and tech company. I started out in the warehouse and slowly worked my up to lead. When I first started I was only about 9 miles from the base warehouse so riding my bicycle sounds pretty good. We had lockers and a shower so I could pretty much hit it hard all the way to work and cruise home. That worked pretty well as long as I was out on the floor working mostly with other men. But the front office had more of a dress code.and a higher number of women working. Slacks, dress shirt and tie for men was mandatory until you made management and then dress coat was added.

In my case I discovered that promotions and movement into an office environment can be a game changer when it comes to working and sweat. There is a entire industry based on eliminating body order. The commercials for Fabreeze show a series of cases where someone has become nose blind to sweat, a kids room before a study session with his girlfriend or has his room smells like a locker room. Duluth trading company offers underwear that is both comfortable and "they won't stink".

It may be corporate identity or societies expectation but from high school through college and even our military you exercise till you sweat and you shower before rejoining the public. Body order is to be avoided much like food caught on your teeth.

I gave up cycling to work, switched to motorcycles and finally when I had meeting with customers moved back to cars. It didn't take long to get used to cup holder, air conditioning and a great sound system. It took years to come back to the bicycle.
Old 03-01-18, 04:18 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I don't know why people would own their own self-driving car
The same reasons they might want to own a non-driverless car. So they can hop in it and go when they want to. So they can keep it filled with their personal items always easily accessible. So the quality of the vehicle they ride in is to their personal liking. As a status symbol. Because they live in a rural area without other options, etc.

What if they don't want to layout money for a tow? Ever drive at night in southwest Atlanta? Leave it for the towing service if the towing service gets there first...
If the car does break down you have no choice but to "leave if for the towing company". However you could still do it about three ways - call a Lyft or whatever and leave the car behind after sending the tow company the "valet code" to access it, try to have Lyft or Uber show up at the same time as the towing company if you don't want your car to be unattended, or have the tow company take you with your car to their site and get a ride from there.
Old 03-01-18, 04:29 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Many moons ago I worked for a big office equipment and tech company. I started out in the warehouse and slowly worked my up to lead. When I first started I was only about 9 miles from the base warehouse so riding my bicycle sounds pretty good. We had lockers and a shower so I could pretty much hit it hard all the way to work and cruise home. That worked pretty well as long as I was out on the floor working mostly with other men. But the front office had more of a dress code.and a higher number of women working. Slacks, dress shirt and tie for men was mandatory until you made management and then dress coat was added.

In my case I discovered that promotions and movement into an office environment can be a game changer when it comes to working and sweat. There is a entire industry based on eliminating body order. The commercials for Fabreeze show a series of cases where someone has become nose blind to sweat, a kids room before a study session with his girlfriend or has his room smells like a locker room. Duluth trading company offers underwear that is both comfortable and "they won't stink".

It may be corporate identity or societies expectation but from high school through college and even our military you exercise till you sweat and you shower before rejoining the public. Body order is to be avoided much like food caught on your teeth.

I gave up cycling to work, switched to motorcycles and finally when I had meeting with customers moved back to cars. It didn't take long to get used to cup holder, air conditioning and a great sound system. It took years to come back to the bicycle.
I work in a white collar environment and in close proximity to people. A small amount of exertional sweat will dry without leaving much odour, especially if you wear cotton clothes. It's only if you sweat profusely and/or let it go more than 24 hours that it becomes noticeable. Synthetic clothes don't work, however - synthetic fabric facilitates the growth of odour causing bacteria, so with even a small amount of sweat they start to stink the same day - it's actually the clothes that start to smell, not the person wearing them.

Some synthetic garments may be treated to prevent odour but I don't know how well it works
Old 03-01-18, 04:50 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the car does break down you have no choice but to "leave if for the towing company". However you could still do it about three ways - call a Lyft or whatever and leave the car behind after sending the tow company the "valet code" to access it, try to have Lyft or Uber show up at the same time as the towing company if you don't want your car to be unattended, or have the tow company take you with your car to their site and get a ride from there.
Well the subject was having a spare tire and changing it vs. getting a tow. But if you want to talk about break-downs you still don't have to "leave it for the towing company". You just have to get a tow. That doesn't mean you "leave" the car. Anytime I've gotten towed I waited for the tow company to arrive and then got a lift from the tow driver. I would not be so cavalier (given the opportunity for another ride) as to just leave the car and trust that the tow driver would find it undamaged with the wheels and car stereo etc. intact.
Old 03-01-18, 05:10 PM
Mobile 155

I work in a white collar environment and in close proximity to people. A small amount of exertional sweat will dry without leaving much odour, especially if you wear cotton clothes. It's only if you sweat profusely and/or let it go more than 24 hours that it becomes noticeable. Synthetic clothes don't work, however - synthetic fabric facilitates the growth of odour causing bacteria, so with even a small amount of sweat they start to stink the same day - it's actually the clothes that start to smell, not the person wearing them.

Some synthetic garments may be treated to prevent odour but I don't know how well it works
It doesn't take much odor for some people. It sure didn't in our office. The women would drop a dime on someone pretty quick. On your way up the corporate ladder it isn't worth the risk. It could make the difference between getting the promotion and not. As an aside, I used to have an old wool sweater I just loved. One day it rained and I thought it had been made of dog fur.
Old 03-01-18, 06:03 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It doesn't take much odor for some people. It sure didn't in our office. The women would drop a dime on someone pretty quick. On your way up the corporate ladder it isn't worth the risk.
Depends on your values. I take a shower before work and then because I rode a bicycle that morning, I may sweat a little more afterwards and if that or some other thing I've revealed about myself such as a love for bicycle riding in general is what limits my career growth well too bad. I'm not going to spend 35 years in rush hour traffic every day when I could have an enjoyable bicycle ride just because I might offend somebody.

It helps that I'm a top notch software engineer with lots of value to my company based on my skill set. Coding is what I love, so I've never been wishing to move up the ladder into management where I could learn to be frustrated about the way things get done instead of doing it myself and being proud of how it came out.
Old 03-01-18, 07:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I understand the point you all make, having had a number of jobs with different requirements.

As a software engineer, you have a lot of leeway. if you were in sales, not so much. if you were the public face of your corporation, you would pretty much have to look like corporate spokesperson to be effective.

The idea is, i guess, that you start off riding to work because you can't afford a car, then keep riding because you can afford a car but don't want one, then get a car because the car gets you a better job so you can get a better bike and more free time to ride, and eventually you do what it takes so you can retire early and travel around the world riding anywhere you like.

Everything is matter of compromise, trade, balance .... if I wanted, i could live on the street, steal and panhandle and mooch and eat free expired food and raid dumpsters, and have 15 hours a day to ride.
Old 03-01-18, 08:27 PM
Mobile 155

Depends on your values. I take a shower before work and then because I rode a bicycle that morning, I may sweat a little more afterwards and if that or some other thing I've revealed about myself such as a love for bicycle riding in general is what limits my career growth well too bad. I'm not going to spend 35 years in rush hour traffic every day when I could have an enjoyable bicycle ride just because I might offend somebody.

It helps that I'm a top notch software engineer with lots of value to my company based on my skill set. Coding is what I love, so I've never been wishing to move up the ladder into management where I could learn to be frustrated about the way things get done instead of doing it myself and being proud of how it came out.
I used to be like that. Till I had children and the advancements made it worth it. I think by myself I could have lived and retired as a tractor trailer driver. Good pay and between docks no one to tell you what to do.

I often thought that you and some nurse friends I have had a great outlook and good pay.

Still the promotions were big enough to make it worth it. I had enough to pay off the kids student loans so it would not be a rock trying pull them down.

I see you as almost a private contractor working for a company. A bit like a company having a private car rather than renting one. Yes it was supposed to be humorous.
Old 03-02-18, 06:35 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Sort of. It takes mental discipline to back off and carefully set your effort. But it's of course never less work to pedal as hard as possible. That makes no sense. As hard as possible is well, as hard as possible! Nothing is more work than that except maybe harder than possible
Also, people make more work for themselves than necessary with impatience. That's true both for compulsively-hard pedaling as well as for driving and all the work the comes with maintaining that habit. Luckily with impatient transportation-biking, you get exercise/cardio-workout in the process.
Old 03-02-18, 09:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
The idea is, i guess, that you start off riding to work because you can't afford a car...
This is the reason most people that tout the "car free" lifestyle don't own a car.
Old 03-02-18, 01:14 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The idea is, i guess, that you start off riding to work because you can't afford a car...
Not me. I drove from the git-go as a young adult. When I was in 10th grade my father bought me an old chevy panel truck for $200 that barely ran for me to work on as part of an auto-mechanics course at my high school. I fixed it over the winter. It was pretty cheap to own and operate back when gas was well under 50 cents a gallon. That's what I drove to work once I had a job a significant distance from home. I was "into bicycles" in those days too but I was also a teenager with a chevy panel truck that had shag carpet in the back (date machine)

I'm sure my truck was a serious fire hazard. It needed a fuel pump but I was too cheap to buy one for the first year or so. I mounted a two-gallon gas tank on the hood and ran gravity-fed gasoline down to the carburetor Frequent gas stops needless to say. I also carried a five gallon tank in the back that I could refill with I could probably have gotten by without all that but I thought it was a cool idea and ran with it.

I spent my 20s mostly driving and then started commuting to work by bicycle when I was about 30 and had a wife and daughter at home (no more picking up girls).

Last edited by Walter S; 03-02-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 03:27 PM
tandempower

True. Do you think there will be self-driving tow trucks that can hook the broken-down vehicle automatically?

If so, maybe they'll also talk and fly, like in Cars:

Old 03-02-18, 04:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

True. Do you think there will be self-driving tow trucks that can hook the broken-down vehicle automatically?
Probably eventually yes. But certainly they won't expect me to do it, so until the truck can do it itself, there will have to be a towing staff person.
Old 03-03-18, 01:19 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Do you predict you'll be carfree for the next 5 years?
Absolutely.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-03-18, 01:23 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yeah...that must of sucked commuting in the winter when it was below zero and blowing snow.
I always enjoyed it. We're lucky here to have a pleasant variety of seasons and weather. One nice thing about being a mammal is the ability to adapt to different conditions.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-03-18, 06:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Synthetic clothes don't work, however - synthetic fabric facilitates the growth of odour causing bacteria, so with even a small amount of sweat they start to stink the same day - it's actually the clothes that start to smell, not the person wearing them.
If that were the case shirtless men and naked people in general would never develop body odor.

What actually creates the odor is the bacteria which feed on the seat, emitting bacteria feces. Such bacteria waste interacts with some plastics (synthetic fibers) to create unpleasant odors while natural fibers tend to absorb more.

A lot of it is reheating old sweat. Sweat left on the body after exercise won't tend to stink in a cool environment, but if the body warms up, the bacteria multiply and the old-sweat odor begins.

I have known people who rode or ran to work and just toweled off, but then worked in climate-controlled environments, and didn't produce any odor. I al so know that I couldn't get away with just wiping off surface sweat when i went form working indoors to going outside to unload trucks and coming back inside, even though I wore cotton clothes ... the old sweat would start cooking and start to stink.

The whole reason I did car-free was to learn about these things. Just an extended science project.
Old 03-03-18, 04:46 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If that were the case shirtless men and naked people in general would never develop body odor.

What actually creates the odor is the bacteria which feed on the seat, emitting bacteria feces. Such bacteria waste interacts with some plastics (synthetic fibers) to create unpleasant odors while natural fibers tend to absorb more.

A lot of it is reheating old sweat. Sweat left on the body after exercise won't tend to stink in a cool environment, but if the body warms up, the bacteria multiply and the old-sweat odor begins.

I have known people who rode or ran to work and just toweled off, but then worked in climate-controlled environments, and didn't produce any odor. I al so know that I couldn't get away with just wiping off surface sweat when i went form working indoors to going outside to unload trucks and coming back inside, even though I wore cotton clothes ... the old sweat would start cooking and start to stink.

The whole reason I did car-free was to learn about these things. Just an extended science project.
It turns out the bugs on the shirts are different from the bugs in the pits. While Corynebacterium is thought to be the main cause of armpit body odor, there was no Corynebacterium on the clothes. Instead, Staphylococcus flourished on cotton and poly, and Micrococcus, bacteria also known for making malodor, loved polyester.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-a-special-way
Old 06-28-18, 02:07 PM
tandempower

Driverless Delivery Drones

I'm pretty sure I have mentioned the idea of driverless delivery drones on this thread in the past, and some small, storm-trooper-looking versions were posted and discussed, but now there's a more promising project by Kroger, so I'm wondering whether anyone else would second my hope/predictions that these things will be fully functional and driverless in the coming five years.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/1...ry-partnership
Old 06-30-18, 02:56 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I have mentioned the idea of driverless delivery drones on this thread in the past, and some small, storm-trooper-looking versions were posted and discussed, but now there's a more promising project by Kroger, so I'm wondering whether anyone else would second my hope/predictions that these things will be fully functional and driverless in the coming five years.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/1...ry-partnership
5 years
Old 06-30-18, 03:17 PM
Mobile 155

5 years
Yes, Considering the thread was started in 2015. Two years from now is pretty short.
Old 06-30-18, 06:09 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Yes, Considering the thread was started in 2015. Two years from now is pretty short.
The 5 year time line is a rough guide and a moving target. Self driving delivery carts are already in use in limited locations. https://amp.businessinsider.com/doordash-delivery-robots-starship-technologies-2017-3
Old 06-30-18, 06:31 PM
Mobile 155

The 5 year time line is a rough guide and a moving target. Self driving delivery carts are already in use in limited locations. https://amp.businessinsider.com/door...ologies-2017-3
Ah moving target. Ok some 5 years from now we will have personal flying drones.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...859D&FORM=VIRE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.