Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I need suggestions.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

I need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 01:01 PM
Gurge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need suggestions.

I am currently trying to start a co-op in my hometown and part of my mission is to teach people to ride safely and confidently with traffic. As this town is not the most bike...I don't want to say friendly because drivers are surprisingly aware here. But they're not accustomed to seeing commuter cyclists that aren't doing so because of a DUI. I was curious as to what riding theories you would teach in a place like this? There are places that a standard left are safe and others that the "Holland left" would be safest. So that's one thing. Directional positioning has seemed to communicate what I need it to easily here. Also bikes and cars have the same rights and laws here, by the way.
Old 05-01-18, 01:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Teach what you know works?
Old 05-01-18, 02:00 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I saw your other post. Looks like you're spreading yourself too thin, or certainly will. Focus on getting the coop up and running and let someone else take the advocacy helm. Bikes and cars are (supposedly) equal everywhere.

When you get an assistant, they can contact some of the larger national or state bike organizations on advocacy, rules and teaching techniques.
Old 05-01-18, 02:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Cars or bikes or walking ... awareness, communication. Know what's around you and what others around are doing, when possible let them know what you are doing. never slight the value of a wave or a thumb's up.

And otherwise ... teach people the way you ride successfully and also tell them that if they like they can research other systems ... but you can only personally vouch for your method as one which has kept you alive.
Old 05-02-18, 04:35 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
Be careful, if you are teaching someone to ride in traffic, and they get run over by a car, you'll be sued for everything you have (and then some) before you can say "1-800-LAWYER."
Old 05-03-18, 03:04 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Be careful, if you are teaching someone to ride in traffic, and they get run over by a car, you'll be sued for everything you have (and then some) before you can say "1-800-LAWYER."
"Daddy, tell me about America."

"Well, son ... "
Old 05-03-18, 11:45 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Good point, but you can teach about different methods of cycling without advocating any. You can explain the drawbacks of each, for example, and then explain why they are beneficial and why a given cyclist might prefer one over another.
Old 05-03-18, 08:33 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gurge
I am currently trying to start a co-op in my hometown and part of my mission is to teach people to ride safely and confidently with traffic. As this town is not the most bike...I don't want to say friendly because drivers are surprisingly aware here. But they're not accustomed to seeing commuter cyclists that aren't doing so because of a DUI. I was curious as to what riding theories you would teach in a place like this? There are places that a standard left are safe and others that the "Holland left" would be safest. So that's one thing. Directional positioning has seemed to communicate what I need it to easily here. Also bikes and cars have the same rights and laws here, by the way.
A lot depends on where you are and what the laws are on cycling. When I lived in a resort area there was no bicycle awareness at all unless you were at a trail head for MTBs. I moved to a flatter area and discovered that each city of the four or five I could ride through had a different idea of what cycling was all about. The one east of me was very bike friendly and worked hard to put in painted bike lanes and signs to share the road. The little town I moved to had one section with bike lanes and a northern section without. the section with bike lanes also allows riding on the sidewalk the section without bike lanes doesn't have sidewalks. The next city west doesn't seem to have any plan. No sidewalk riding and very few bike lanes. As a result the group I belonged to got together with the city and put on bike rodeos and stressed PC cycling. Ride as if you are traffic. Make turns from the left turn lane and take the lane where necessary. The problem with PC cycling is it takes nerves of steel. You have to demand your rights according to the Penal Code. And many simply cannot see demanding those rights when riding next to 2 tones of car.

The second problem with PC cycling is one drivers get used to seeing bicycles riding along with traffic they stop looking for the cyclists that ride the wrong way on the sidewalk and hit the crosswalks at the same time someone is making a right or left turn.

So if I were you I would talk with local bike clubs, bike shops and maybe even the local police and see what they expect from cyclists or how they see the public working with cyclists. And as someone else said, let someone else advocate because that is a function that can suck the joy right out of you in two or three meetings.
Old 05-04-18, 03:45 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For "training", I would start with kids.

Does your community have some kinds of fairs or gatherings that it might be appropriate to have a kid's bicycling training?

Do basic stuff. Stopping at stop signs, turn signals, looking when crossing the roads, bike handling, etc. I'd start with riding to the right. Let the parents sort out the fine details of when to "take a lane", left turns, etc.

You can also do bike maintenance at the events (teaching).

Working community events will also help get your name out, and let people know that your organization exists.

If you wish to do more with adults, then start by sponsoring regular group rides (weekly?). Hopefully with volunteer ride leaders. Then add more training if you wish.
Old 05-06-18, 12:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I saw your other post. Looks like you're spreading yourself too thin, or certainly will. Focus on getting the coop up and running and let someone else take the advocacy helm..
...+1. From five or six years of personal experience with the bike co-op here, the last five in the management group, I can tell you without hesitation that there are a million god ideas about bicycles and the promotion of them that will either occur to you or be proposed to you by someone else. In my organization, this sapped a tremendous amount o energy, and contributed to the inability of it to move beyond a haphazard collection of parts and tools, some of which worked and some of which did not. Some days it was difficult to figure out which was which.

Along with that was a collection of well meaning, but in many cases mechanically unsophisticated volunteers, and your usual hangers on who liked being there because it felt hip, and there was beer at the parties.

There are plenty of distractions. One of your first goals ought to be establishing a written list of mission goals and aspirations, and ranking them in level of importance to the success of your endeavor.
Old 05-06-18, 10:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Have you taken any cycling courses or acquired any certifications as a cycling instructor yourself? I would start there.
Old 05-22-18, 11:56 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Trying to teach someone, how to ride in traffic. Has a lot of particulars.

1. Personal riding style in the road
2. Speed limit on road
3. Width of road
4. Time of day
5. Day of week
6. Month of year
7. Location
Old 05-31-18, 02:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Who are you aiming to teach? The "commuters" or the "DUIs"? Or could you find some common ground?

Personally, I would advocate for better bike infrastructure even while teaching survival skills for the current car jungle. (But I really don't expect cycling to become more popular if you're just teaching how to ride in the road with the cars.)

One thing to consider is giving away bike lights and batteries for them. See if you can get donations from bike shops and discount stores. I did this for a while and it felt great seeing people ride around more safely with lights that I found for them.