Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does N+1 apply to cycling apparel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does N+1 apply to cycling apparel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-22, 02:37 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I spent around 1000 euros on new Winter kit over the last few months. All Santini Vega. It is rated for freezing temps and rainy days. It would be ok if I lived in the UK or Belgium but I live in a place that has over 300 sunny days and relatively little rain with lows of around 10C and most Winter days go warmer than the kit is designed for. But I wanted it just in case.

I have a Summer kit for every day of the week, same with Winter.

For racing I have separate team kit.

Yeah, definitely someone who spends a lot on kit!

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 03-25-22, 06:31 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I’ve never seen a windvest with front pockets.
Hand pockets aren't uncommon with lightweight running wind vests.
Old 03-25-22, 09:01 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't own any cycling specific apparel except one pair of padded underwear.
Old 03-25-22, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
"I don't wear cycling gear, I just wear T-shirts, cargo shorts, Birkenstocks, and a fanny pack" in 3... 2... 1...

Well, no to the Birkenstocks and fanny pack, but...

I do buy a lot of t-shirts and cargo pants, but I really wasn't going to say anything.

My hoarding issue is tires. I can never have enough tires lying around.
Old 03-25-22, 09:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I only buy apparel as needed. And then it is dual purpose. I have almost never bought cycling specific clothes, even when I rode DF bikes.
Old 03-25-22, 09:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes, yes it does. Or rather, it can. It depends.

Stuff that looks nice, fits well, and functions well is awesome and I enjoy it. Personally, it can be tough to justify additional articles of clothing when I've already got enough to last a reasonable laundry cycle, though... but I won't hesitate to replace something that's worn out or that doesn't fit well anymore.

Vests are pretty great. I'm a fan. I'm also a big fan of neck gaiters - gram for gram, they're right up there with vests in terms of utility.

Grew up in Minnesota. I think there's a definitely higher level of "you can never have enough clothes" feeling there in the winter.
Old 03-25-22, 09:27 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The eagle has landed.
Old 03-25-22, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
The eagle has landed.

Hey, you launched the countdown clock, I had to oblige.
Old 03-25-22, 11:43 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
A near universal law, alas, N+1 does not work for everything. I can barely manage one wife.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-25-22, 11:54 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Not with me, minimalist when it comes to cycling apparel, lately it would be N-1.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 03-25-22, 11:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
A near universal law, alas, N+1 does not work for everything. I can barely manage one wife.

Definitely not good for sofas or toaster ovens either.
Old 03-27-22, 09:07 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm kind of obsessed with baselayers. I've got way too many.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-31-22, 10:08 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 190 Posts
Every so often you have to purge to make room for more

You can never have too many jerseys, but you can have too many in the jersey drawer. I solve that dilemma by breaking out the sewing machine and making ottoman covers or other cycling themed sewing projects so they don’t go to waste.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 03-31-22, 11:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I ride year-round. In the PNW I need a range of clothing because half (ok, 75%) the year the days are cold and damp, cold and wet, cold with a deluge of water from the sky, and even occasionally cold (and typically colder than previous kind of days) and dry. Then depending on how long I stay out, it can get much warmer. I'm continuously adapting my cold and/or water resistant layers to be able to ride hard but stay warm and dry. I've gotten pretty close after constant experimentation on the combo of various fabrics from the Gore-Tex line-up and like along with some wool here and there.

During the minority of the year when it's completely dry, the mornings may still be a lot cooler, or the whole time I'm out it may be much warmer than I'm acclimatized to. I've been upgrading my jerseys from loose, not particularly aero nor breathable stuff, to much higher-end aero and lightweight stuff.

I always keep an eye out for improvements to my bib collection. Lately I've wanted cargo pockets for the epic days when constantly reaching into the rear pocket becomes a hassle. I also am not totally satisfied that any of my bibs are as comfortable as I'd like for rides over 5 hours. While I can suck it up with what I have, if I see a good deal on a premium bib I will seriously consider giving it a shot. Sometimes I get a real dud, but it's usually not worth the trouble of returning since it's already been worn or it was a final sale item, and I figure I at least throw it into my rotation, reducing the wear on the rest of my bibs.
Old 04-01-22, 09:05 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
I only buy my apparel at discount or on sale. Lately I've been buying quite a bit of Adidas cycling gear due to their constant mark downs and various coupon codes for registered customers. Plus items ship within a day or two since I live near one of the US distribution centers.
Old 04-01-22, 09:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: Does N+1 apply to cycling apparel? nah, that stuff can pile up & in particular I have a weakness for gloves & bought a new pair a cpl weeks ago. but shhh ... don't tell my spouse!

re: wind vest, yes! I def. need another!

seriously tho, I try to donate to the local "Savers" that sells used clothing, shoes, small appliances & toys. I've personally gotten lucky there, so why not pay it back?
Old 04-01-22, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
N+1 does not work for everything. I can barely manage one wife.
almost wound up w/ a cpl more myself, until someone smacked me in the head. that person, being me don't know what I was thinking
Old 04-01-22, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rsbob
Cycling vests are the best. I bought one here for cheap and it works great with 3 back pockets.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch
those look good, I've been using a hi-vis day-glo yellow-green jacket w/ sleeves zipped off, so it's a bit geeky & too loose
Old 04-01-22, 11:47 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
At this point I have 3 kits from the group I used to ride/commute with, because it's fun to match everyone else, although I acquired at least one of those after I stopped riding with the group regularly but liked the kit design and still wanted to feel included. Then there's two long-sleeve jerseys - one Ibex, one Rapha (bought cheap off Craiglist, original owner had crashed and ripped it, then had it patched) - for cooler days, and a really lightweight jersey I bought a while back for hot days, and two Ornot jerseys from their sample sale last year (one lightweight, one a bit warmer), and a heavier weight wool/nylon jersey from Cedar Cycling (short-lived local company) that friends recommended. I think that's most of the jerseys I intentionally acquired. My sister gave me a few more that don't fit her, that she received from events she did, and I have 2 really old Descente cotton jerseys (made in Japan!) that a family friend gave my dad years ago, but were too small for him.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I'm looking at Bellwether's Velocity Vest, since I own several other Bellwether items that fit me well - any vest fans have opinions on this one?
if you can list all that you own for cycling apparel, then you don't have nearly enough.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-01-22, 11:56 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
At this point I have 3 kits from the group I used to ride/commute with, because it's fun to match everyone else, although I acquired at least one of those after I stopped riding with the group regularly but liked the kit design and still wanted to feel included. Then there's two long-sleeve jerseys - one Ibex, one Rapha (bought cheap off Craiglist, original owner had crashed and ripped it, then had it patched) - for cooler days, and a really lightweight jersey I bought a while back for hot days, and two Ornot jerseys from their sample sale last year (one lightweight, one a bit warmer), and a heavier weight wool/nylon jersey from Cedar Cycling (short-lived local company) that friends recommended. I think that's most of the jerseys I intentionally acquired. My sister gave me a few more that don't fit her, that she received from events she did, and I have 2 really old Descente cotton jerseys (made in Japan!) that a family friend gave my dad years ago, but were too small for him.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I'm looking at Bellwether's Velocity Vest, since I own several other Bellwether items that fit me well - any vest fans have opinions on this one?
After looking at that vest I noticed that it doesn't have the dove-tail down the back for when you're hunched over. Not sure I'd want my back exposed like that. Just me...
Old 04-01-22, 12:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
N+1? Not really. Once I have what I need, I'm good.

New bikes I get exited about. Buying clothing is a drag.

I have been looking for the perfect cycling semi-windbreaker for years, and I will be very exited if I ever actually find it.
Old 04-02-22, 09:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have picked up a few long sleeve jerseys this year off eBay.

Won an auction today on a lightly used, it looked nice really clean with no stains, rips etc., Performance brand for $4 with $8 shipping. You can hardly find a long sleeve t-shirt for $12.

John
Old 04-02-22, 09:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
N+1 is specifically about buying more bikes. Jerseys multiply on their own, like rabbits.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498