Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 09:46 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
5th race of the season coming up on Sunday, CBR crit. My initial plan was to race the 2/3 field for points, and then the P/1/2 for training. The last race of the day is a 35+ 2-4 which is super interesting and has me intrigued.... I think I may try it out. The field will likely be small so the number of 2's that I can beat will probably be minuscule, so I guess the amount of points I could realistically get would be similar to that and elbowing my way onto the L3gion of LA train in the Pro race lol.

The Pro race is likely better training, but the M 35+ 2-4 might be more my vibe, since I'd actually be racing it haha. I think I'll try it and see.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-22, 11:26 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Do em all! I would kill for 3 races in one day.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-21-22, 10:13 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

So I skipped it again lol. Just too much going on, work's busy/had some things to do before today, and Liz and I have a lot going on too, auto and real estate stuff. My legs felt great on the trainer yesterday, so if the circumstances played out, I could have made something happen.

But that's ok!! It's still in the early portion of the season and there will be many more opportunities. I feel prepared for the week ahead and probably slightly less of a ball of stress than I normally AM, haha. Typical type-A stuff.

Looking forward to a solid week of training ahead. Big miles and TT aero testing on tap for this weekend - then racing for the next three consecutive ones.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-21-22, 10:40 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I get it. There's a spring crit series going on but it's 2hrs each way and the race itself is 50 minutes. I did a zwift race yesterday instead.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-21-22, 12:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, this series is about 2 hrs away as well. I was pretty conflicted about it, but I think I made the right decision.
Old 03-21-22, 01:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
No E3 TT series this year. Looks like I'll check with wife and signup for the local duathlon in April.

It'll be interesting showing up with a bike with a 60t chainring to that. At least I can run a bit nowadays more than I used to. Shrug.
Old 03-22-22, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I know you guys know this, but here's a reminder to lube, wipe down, and occasionally check all the moving parts of your trainer bike, especially if it's permanently on the trainer. Thought I was doing so, and then realized I had never checked the rear brake caliper. Cable is pretty much fused into the ferrule. I'm guessing that I was sweating on the housing, which dripped/wicked down into the cable/ferrule interface. D'oh!

I've soaked PB Blaster into it, so far nothing. I'll check it again when I get home tonight. Durr, what a pain.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-22-22, 03:42 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
^^^^At the shop where I work, we’ve had at least two bikes come in where the bars corroded clear through. They were trainer slaves belonging to triathletes, and just kept riding and sweating on them, the sweat soaked through the bar tape and ate through the aluminum.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-24-22, 02:04 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
So I'll be living in philly full time starting July. Looking at one of those old specialized tricross single speed bikes. Think it's a reasonable option for a city bike? It has a carbon fork which is one of my concerns, but yolo.
Otherwise, would look at one of those bikes direct single speed cross bikes. The specialized is cheaper, but not disc brake which is slightly concerning but I think should be okay?

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I guess in the good news bent... I matched my first choice for child psychiatry fellowship and I'll be in Philly. GF and I are going to be in the same zip code for the first time in 3 years starting july. Proposal's been planned for next saturday for a while so it's kind of a relief to know that I won't have to up and move and end up long(er) distance. What a dang relief. Lets see how long it'll last before they find my body in a hospital closet since I'll be at the same institution as her.
Guess I'll update this and say the proposal went well. Did it over MLK weekend at Jay Peak in VT. Had to revamp my plans because the day I was planning on doing it ended up having a high of like -10 with a windchill in the -25 range if not colder. We went out the following day where the temps went above 0 at about 10AM. Balmy in comparison.

Old 03-24-22, 02:57 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
The specialized is cheaper, but not disc brake which is slightly concerning but I think should be okay?

Guess I'll update this and say the proposal went well.
Congrats on the proposal outcome!

Unless you're riding on carbon wheels in the rain, rim brakes will be fine. I've got a single-speed Specialized Sirrus (flat bar bike) with rim brakes and I can stand the bike on its front wheel.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 03-26-22, 12:58 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by revchuck
Congrats on the proposal outcome!

Unless you're riding on carbon wheels in the rain, rim brakes will be fine. I've got a single-speed Specialized Sirrus (flat bar bike) with rim brakes and I can stand the bike on its front wheel.
Picked up the bike for 240 including 40 for gas and 20 for waffle house! Looks to be in pretty good condition and just needs bar tape. Only question now is whether I want to try to swap the v brakes for cheap tektro cantis because I hate V brakes. Then to add fenders and maybe a rack... Of course I had to be an idiot and sell all my panniers last year soooo guess I'll be needing those again.

Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-31-22, 08:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Emailed the duathlon race person as no map was posted for duathlon distance yet, only the triathlons. It should have different bike leg between the Oly and sprint tri. They "may" publish the route now after my email as just shy of a 40k. That would be killer! As 5k 40k 5k is a TT racer's advantage. And a great regional TT practice session with full kit, maybe minus the sleeved skinsuit.

Said they're sending it out today. My email reminded them as they had forgotten to update the maps as this is first year holding the duathlon with the tris.

Upside, and downside......I think most "serious" folks will be doing the tris. Not the du. We'll see.
Old 04-03-22, 08:13 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I visited my daughter Friday and saw her project that she mentions was property formally owned by an American former cyclist from Austin. I may have mentioned this before, but I saw pictures this time (see arrow on right).
I thought, something cycling racer related to post about.

I then did likely my last trip down CA hwy 1, Big Sur on my motorcycle. I've done it in an RV, multiple times in a car, two-three times pedaling, once on the tandem where I crashed my fiancé after hitting rocks that burst a tire (been married almost 30 years) and now on the motor bike. This was the least fun of any mainly due to weather.

I didn't need to buy gas at this location (Big Sur), but this was interesting.
It made me wonder if the digital display can take 2 digits.
I later got 91 in Morrow Bay for a deal at $6.09/gal (down from local $6.60 last week).
Likes For Doge:
Old 04-04-22, 09:39 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
holy smokes. Will double dollar digit be the y2k of gas pumps? I remember when gas prices broke 99 cents and there were all sorts of wacky things done with the big signs that only had room for 99.9 cents.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-16-22, 10:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Didn't feel like a post in the general forum, but my year's long search for a book ended today. A beat up looking box arrived at my front door. I finally found what I was looking for at an online New Zealand used book store. It actually was listed as "used-some wear". But it showed up brand new, shrink wrapped.

40 Years of Cycling Photography, hardcover.

Out of print and hard to get at a good price. I paid pretty much what it went for new while in print. I had even emailed the original printer/author and they responded "sorry, we don't have anymore and good luck with it!"

I've only briefly thumbed the first dozen or so pages, and it's fantastic.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-22-22, 11:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

We're in Escrow!!!!!! So stoked. Location is not something I'm willing to compromise on and the single family home thing is more than we want to spend right now in central San Diego, so it's a townhome.

But a sweet one! HOA ain't too much either. HW floors, high ceilings, gas/stainless appliances and great location. Three level with bedrooms, living area and garage from top to bottom. Garage is huge and can fit both cars, long work/tool bench, bikes and indoor cycling/workout studio area. Very excited. About 1/3 through escrow.
Old 04-22-22, 11:27 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Also - to any wine nerds around here - we have a thread going on in Foo. come join us!

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/12477...r-glass-4.html
Old 04-22-22, 04:24 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Idiots at Giro forgot the US sticker in my helmet. Caught it getting ready for the du tomorrow. It's about 5 seconds slower to put on, but I guess I'll just HAVE to use the Tempor instead that does have the sticker. Shame shame. I was trying to blend in a little bit amongst the multisporters.

Apparently I can email Giro and they'll mail me one if the serial # is fine.

One of those "you had one job" at the factory moments.
Old 04-22-22, 04:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the one station that's famous for having the most expensive gas in the state (and thus the whole country, usually).
Old 04-28-22, 10:41 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm pretty sure that's the one station that's famous for having the most expensive gas in the state (and thus the whole country, usually).
I should have purchased a gallon. The station 40 miles north end of Big Sur was about the same price. I was looking for espresso, not gas.
Old 04-28-22, 04:16 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sup
Likes For globecanvas:
Old 05-03-22, 08:10 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quick-ish question that I've been bothering waterrockets about offline.

I kinda got a little bit hoarder-ish and picked up two bikes locally with the goal of reselling one and turning the other one into a commuter. I couldn't really decide what I wanted to do so I bought both and figured I'd make the decision later.

First one is the specialized tricross singlecross 2008 (?) upthread a bit. I'm not sold on doing things on a single speed, so I kinda want to build a rear wheel with a 5 speed sturmey archer internally geared hub for it. Seems like it could be awesome since the 5 speed allows for 2 harder and 2 easier gears. Use case is commutes, grocery getting, and some light local riding with fiance/friends. Can put a rack and fenders on it.

Second bike is a charge plug- https://www.wiggle.com/charge-plug-2-2016
It's a geared gravel bike with a bunch of mounts for racks/fenders etc as well, but I think this could take wider tires. It's got disc brakes which is nice, but they're some of the cheapest mechanical disc brakes (promax?) and likely a pain to keep in adjustment as well as quick release wheels. The gearset is claris, which isn't the best, but it's cheap and likely cheap to replace. This is the older one without the integrated cables etc. Fiance's bike has the newer claris which actually feels decent.

I'm going to try riding both of them a bit over the weekend to make sure one doesn't fit funky, but does anyone have a rec for which way to go? I already have a gravel bike so need something more strictly a commuter. Thoughts?
Old 05-04-22, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Sounds like the Charge Plug is good to go with just a rack, fenders, and maybe tires (and maybe calipers/rotors down the road?). Tricross sounds like it needs all that (minus the brakes) plus a new SA rear wheel and shifter. Charge would probably be cheaper to keep unless you really want to try out Sturmey Archer (though that setup on the Tricross would probably be cheaper to maintain/lower maintenance down the road from what I've heard about SA hubs - rear wheel would be heavier, but that probably won't be a concern for a commuter/JRA bike) or you decide you need the new brakes right away.
Old 05-04-22, 10:37 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by himespau
Sounds like the Charge Plug is good to go with just a rack, fenders, and maybe tires (and maybe calipers/rotors down the road?). Tricross sounds like it needs all that (minus the brakes) plus a new SA rear wheel and shifter. Charge would probably be cheaper to keep unless you really want to try out Sturmey Archer (though that setup on the Tricross would probably be cheaper to maintain/lower maintenance down the road from what I've heard about SA hubs - rear wheel would be heavier, but that probably won't be a concern for a commuter/JRA bike) or you decide you need the new brakes right away.
Plug has decent tires to the point where id swap them over to the tricross if I kept it. I think the bike is in better condition overall as well. I'll ride both for a bit Friday/sat and see how they feel. I'm slightly concerned the plug is a hair too big.

And yeah, I'd definitely do brakes for the bike if that's the one I decide to keep.

The flat top tube for the spec will probably be handy when carrying it but that's a small part of use. Part of me thinks that it would be a cool project. I am definitely a bit concerned that the rear hub gearing is going to be a hard transition from having a derailleur in terms of shifting mechanics.

Honestly, if the brifters on the plug break, I'm not above replacing them with a bar end shifter and going 1X in front. Throw an MTB RD on there for a pie plate cassette.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 05-04-22 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 03:23 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I entered a bike race... the first time in a long while.

I love how Alex Stieda hosts a race and races it as a cat 5. A former tour yellow jersey wearer in your cat 5 event is cool for them I'm sure. Dude gives back at the grassroots level.

https://zone4.ca/report/1b449454-cc0...3-0a7c5a9f7803
Likes For Enthalpic:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.