Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Crew Defender, Sole, State Wulf or Detroit Sparrow $500

Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Old 03-30-22, 03:47 PM
hotlantahim5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all -
I am 6'4" and looking for the right fixed gear bike for me for around or under $500. In my area there are no hills, and no bike shops so i can't test ride anything. I wanna go fast, but being tall, I don't think I want track geometry for comfort. I also want to be able to bunny hop curbs and think a fatter tire (but not too fat) might be best. Dual hub ideal.
I've heard mixed reviews on 6KU, Golden Cycles, P3, Retrospec Harper and the Fxyation. Priority Ace of Clubs/Spades seems out of budget. Kilo TT/WT are sold out in my size. No used Fuji feathers or declarations available. Also need a little help with the right size frame.

I'm torn between:
State Wulf Coreline 4130 62CM $459
Fuji Declaration 61CM $599 (over budget)
Crew defender 700CM L/XL $299
Sole 59CM $399 (amazon)
Detroit Bikes Sparrow XL $499 (top of budget)

Any thoughts? Dual hub ideal. Appreciate you all!
Old 03-31-22, 07:41 AM
Zdawg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd suggest going second on eBay

What kind of freestyle tricks are you looking to perform (aside from the bunny hop)? That will help tailor down the options.

I always recommend going second hand, especially with fixed gears because there's very little to go wrong. Allow yourself a month of looking on eBay for "track bike" & "pista" under the cycling category, "fixed gear", "singlespeed" and "fgfs". It's amazing how many good deals people miss out on. The value of a bike depreciates significantly and fixed gear riders should cash in on that! Then, you can spend the rest of your budget on bling components!
Old 03-31-22, 08:14 AM
Zdawg

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Go with Crew or State if you don't want to spend a time looking for second-hand deals

I'd stay clear of the sole, Detroit and Fuji you've listed because they're all overpriced for what they're offering.

If you're serious about bunny hopping on a Fixie the crew defender would be the best option as it's a begginer FGFS but you won't be going very fast on roads. That's not a bad thing coz sometimes doing tricks at a slightly higher speed is equally as fun as going fast on the roads.

If you're deadset on going fast and whip-skidding in the streets then the other remaining option from your list would be the best bet. I would recommend going with the largest size frame possible for your height. You'll never run the risk of being in an awkward position: if you want to go fast, dropbars and a longer stem will put you in the optimal sprinting position; if you want more comfort (and more weight on the back wheel to help with tricks) you can fit risers and a shorter stem. The longer reach of a larger frame will avoid toe strike with the front wheel which can be problem for tall lads with big feet. You might even one day get into bar spins by switching the front wheel to a 650c or by switching to a freestyle fork. The longer reach will help with that, too.
Old 03-31-22, 12:57 PM
hotlantahim5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HOT DAMN that is genius. Great thinking. Thanks so much. I am in my 40s so no tricks. I live in a flat area and just wanna haul ass and if i have to jump a curb thats fine with me. main problem is there are NO bike shops so customizing a bike will be a mega problem and i live in an apt with no garage/tools...
Old 03-31-22, 06:57 PM
hotlantahim5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any thoughts on the Kilo's compared to the Crew and the State's?
Old 04-02-22, 02:26 AM
Zdawg

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotlantahim5
HOT DAMN that is genius. Great thinking. Thanks so much.
Haha, you're welcome!

In your situation, I think the kilo TT would be the best option. Reviews online critise state's quality control whereas no problems with Kilo in terms of damaged frameset or parts.

It's a shame that you don't have a bike shop near or many tools. Customising your fixie and swapping out parts is so easy to do and so fun. When I started off, I had no money, I had just the back wheel with a flip flop hub and a vintage road bike. I was trying to save money on everything I could, it was actually a bit ridiculous, lol. That was two years ago and over time you start to accumulate some parts here and there so I say never write that option off!
Old 04-03-22, 11:49 AM
hotlantahim5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no tricks. just wanna haul ass through town, and jump a curb if i am in a jam.. but that part is important so it can't be too heavy, or the geometry is off... if i gotta hop, i GOTTA hop. i'm getting older but i am strong and want the option to manhandle if needed. if that makes sense. don't want a track bike i can't pop
Old 04-03-22, 02:13 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’ve worked on or put together three of the bikes on your list and would recommend the kilo or any other bikesdirect offering over any of them.

If you really want a trick-track bike, it might be worth it to try and source a volume cutter or thrasher. The cutter might be easier to find. I still ride a volume cutter v1 that has been beat to heck and back and am still very much enamored with it.
Old 04-03-22, 03:54 PM
Zdawg

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's no such thing as a bicycle too heavy to hop

Originally Posted by hotlantahim5
no tricks. just wanna haul ass through town, and jump a curb if i am in a jam.. but that part is important so it can't be too heavy, or the geometry is off... if i gotta hop, i GOTTA hop. i'm getting older but i am strong and want the option to manhandle if needed. if that makes sense. don't want a track bike i can't pop
As demonstrated by Seth from Berm Peak, there isn't really a bike that's too heavy to hop. Seth is a #shortking and was still bunny-hopping a MTB with WATER IN THE TUBES?!! So a standard track bike won't hold you back at all. It's all in the rider's skills when it comes to whether you'll be able to bunny hop your bike.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Rage
If you really want a trick-track bike, it might be worth it to try and source a volume cutter or thrasher. The cutter might be easier to find. I still ride a volume cutter v1 that has been beat to heck and back and am still very much enamored with it.
I love those volume framesets! They were the precursor to today's FGFS but still had that oh-so-sweet horizontal top tube. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Thrasher is the later and improved model with shorter chain stay, right?
Old 04-03-22, 04:20 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

I’m not sure about improved but it was tweaked to be more “trick-friendly,” meaning shorter wheelbase/chain stay to pull off wheelies and longer top tube for more clearance. Definitely influenced the design of modern day fgfs bikes.

Wish I had gotten one when they first came out as they are almost impossible to find at a decent price now.

Last edited by Rage; 04-03-22 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 05:48 AM
hotlantahim5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't find cutters or thrashers. I'm leaning towards the Defender bc of price point, good reviews and upgradability. Figure i am all in for $400 or so. whats holding me back is the review for the Kilo TT, Kilo TT Pro and the WT all between $350 and $550 but their frame sizes are hella confusing. I figure a 2014 Kilo TT for 350 has to be better long-term than a $300 defender. Would you agree?
Old 04-17-22, 08:12 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Heck yeah, the kilo tt over the crew defender.
The kilo is back in stock up to 57cm btw.
Old 04-20-22, 11:25 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

There’s a 58cm volume cutter v1 on eBay with a “buy it now” of 550 dollars. Maybe make the seller an offer?