Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Aluminum handlebars feel different than Steel?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Aluminum handlebars feel different than Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-22, 01:30 AM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Are you the hulk?

[QUOTE
Bars have to endure a lot force with an ''agressive" riding position. I only trust steel with this force The idea of carbon or alu bars snapping while riding makes me fear them a lot. I trust alu more than carbon but alu can so get fatigued. Steel will not snap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I dunno about that

Nitto (& probably other) heat treated alloy bars are pretty strong

not trying to say steel isn't real....nice.
Old 05-08-22, 10:35 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
When I was a teenager I had a handlebar snap off while sprinting It broke off near the stem.

It was in I imagine maybe 1979 or so

It was an aluminum heat treated Sakae handlebar that I bought at a bike shop to put on my ten speed.

​​​​​Somehow I managed not to fall and kept going holding the stub so that it wouldn't foul the front wheel.

Ever since then, I've been so suspicious of all handlebars. It was then that I learned about stress risers. Anything that clamps on the bar, like brakes, must not be over tightened.

Back then most bikes had quill stems and one single pinch bolt.

I'm also leery of having bikes fall down - tip over. In my imagination I think a carbon bar could get damaged this way, and you wouldn't ever know it. Chances are very low though and shouldn't be worth worrying about.

Steel would shrug off being tipped over hard.

But I'm no expert. This is how it looks to me.

Steel is heavy though. Not all steel is the same. There are crappy things that bend! I've ridden that department store stuff back in the day ( but they wouldn't snap).

Stems also give me the creeps sometimes when I look at them. They can look anemic when I consider what's at stake and the forces involved. But I haven't heard of these breaking. Have you?

Still, I'm particular about the stem. Oh yeah, there were some Thomson stems that broke and people were hurt. Some stem clamps have 4 bolts, 2 bolts, and some are even hinged. They come in all materials as well.

I wished to build my steel single speed commuter out of all steel parts, but didn't. Steel stem, seat post, didn't materialize because I couldn't justify spending more money where the parts I already had were lighter and trustworthy.

WHat I strive for in this regard, is confidence in the equipment. It is a psychological dilemma , emotional and therefore prone to irrational unobjective interpretation.

That is to say for example that someone without good instruction might overtighten clamps thinking it is more secure to do so.

There is science, and that is a better guide than superstition.
​​​​
Old 05-09-22, 10:45 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
When I was a teenager I had a handlebar snap off while sprinting It broke off near the stem.

It was in I imagine maybe 1979 or so

It was an aluminum heat treated Sakae handlebar that I bought at a bike shop to put on my ten speed.

​​​​​Somehow I managed not to fall and kept going holding the stub so that it wouldn't foul the front wheel.

Ever since then, I've been so suspicious of all handlebars. It was then that I learned about stress risers. Anything that clamps on the bar, like brakes, must not be over tightened.

Back then most bikes had quill stems and one single pinch bolt.

I'm also leery of having bikes fall down - tip over. In my imagination I think a carbon bar could get damaged this way, and you wouldn't ever know it. Chances are very low though and shouldn't be worth worrying about.

Steel would shrug off being tipped over hard.

But I'm no expert. This is how it looks to me.

Steel is heavy though. Not all steel is the same. There are crappy things that bend! I've ridden that department store stuff back in the day ( but they wouldn't snap).

Stems also give me the creeps sometimes when I look at them. They can look anemic when I consider what's at stake and the forces involved. But I haven't heard of these breaking. Have you?

Still, I'm particular about the stem. Oh yeah, there were some Thomson stems that broke and people were hurt. Some stem clamps have 4 bolts, 2 bolts, and some are even hinged. They come in all materials as well.

I wished to build my steel single speed commuter out of all steel parts, but didn't. Steel stem, seat post, didn't materialize because I couldn't justify spending more money where the parts I already had were lighter and trustworthy.

WHat I strive for in this regard, is confidence in the equipment. It is a psychological dilemma , emotional and therefore prone to irrational unobjective interpretation.

That is to say for example that someone without good instruction might overtighten clamps thinking it is more secure to do so.

There is science, and that is a better guide than superstition.
​​​​
Did you use steel crank arms in your commuter build?
Old 05-09-22, 11:41 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Did you use steel crank arms in your commuter build?
No I've never had steel cranks yet.

Forged aluminum are proven. I had a pair of CNC aluminum billet cranks that failed on the non drive side.

Had chainring failure. The other weekend I had an 11 speed SRAM chain break. I think, usually something else will give before the crank does. But I've seen photos of it happening.

With cranks a common failure is for them to come of the spindle I'm various ways. That's happened to me with the Octalink type.
Likes For Sorcerer: