Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain wound up on outside of frame.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain wound up on outside of frame.

Old 05-11-22, 03:42 PM
  #51  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ign1te View Post
Just crack the chain open and all your problems will go away.
Trying to be as supportive as I can...but having read the OPís two threads... I think youíre conclusion may be a bit optimistic.
smd4 is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 12:20 AM
  #52  
Rolla
Victimless Criminal
 
Rolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2,512
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 2,691 Times in 1,197 Posts
I think I smell a sock. Could be wrong. Just sayin'.
Rolla is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 12:45 AM
  #53  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by damnbike View Post
Bought a chain tool on amazon, while im waiting for this, reseraching how to remove chain without master link
Good reason to just buy simple, common tools like this locally. Why wait for Amazon to ship when every bike shop in the world has a chain tool, and they're not expensive enough that Amazon would save you meaningful money.
Camilo is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 12:52 AM
  #54  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla View Post
Yeah, I know, and I get that. But in spite of all the good-natured forum members posting explanations, diagrams, and videos, the chain is still jacked, the drivetrain is in pieces, and the bike's on the floor. If the OP has "no idea what [he's] doing with bike repairs," he should recognize when he's bitten off more than he can chew.

Bike shops exist for a reason, and a worthy mechanic can show the OP firsthand what's going on and how it's supposed to work. It doesn't have to be a struggle.
I don't disagree at all. But so do youtube videos. A well produced video - like the Park Tool ones - is so much better than even the most well-meaning internet forum member trying to explain these sort of things with typed words. I think recommending to a new person that they look up videos is sound advice.
I find it nearly impossible in a reasonable amount of time to give meaningful written instructions to anything but the most simple procedures. It almost always is good advice to do a web search for Park Tool videos on the subject at hand or take to a local shop or co-op. In the old days, you'd buy a book like Glenn's and figure it out.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-12-22 at 01:03 AM.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-12-22, 05:28 AM
  #55  
biker128pedal
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,409

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C being made an all arounder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 170 Posts
It would be helpful if newbies were allowed to post one picture their first posts. Then when they come for help they get it and stay.

Then more eyes on the ads.
biker128pedal is offline  
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 05-12-22, 06:58 AM
  #56  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,323
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5078 Post(s)
Liked 7,428 Times in 3,225 Posts
At least the chain isn't wound up inside the frame. That would be a real problem.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 07:39 AM
  #57  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,534
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 172 Posts
A bit late, but:

Did you unbolt the rear derailleur from the frame, or disassemble the pulley arm? Because the chain around the front derailleur is reversed. (And the rear derailleur looks like it's not bolted down into the correct location.)
Either from removing and re-linking the chain wrong (but you didn't do anything with the chain?)
Or from taking the rear derailleur off and flipping it over 360 degrees.

The photo, rotated.
The green arrow points to the part of the chain that should go from the bottom of the front chainring to the bottom of the rear derailleur, around it's bottom pulley.
The red arrowpoints to the part that should wrap around the back and top of the cassette, not under the cassette like it is now.

But the way it's configured now, it can't go around the chain ring. You probably need to unbolt the rear derailleur from the frame, then flip it upside down, and flip again. Then rebolt to the frame.
Or: cut the chain with a chain tool and reattach it correctly after mounting all the bike components correctly.

rm -rf is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 07:51 AM
  #58  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
I find it nearly impossible in a reasonable amount of time to give meaningful written instructions to anything but the most simple procedures.
And even then, it can be difficult.

I consider myself a pretty good writer, as well as a pretty good mechanic. But even explaining in writing something as simple as changing out a floor pump chuck has been daunting to me.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-12-22, 07:57 AM
  #59  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
A bit late, but:

Did you unbolt the rear derailleur from the frame, or disassemble the pulley arm? Because the chain around the front derailleur is reversed. (And the rear derailleur looks like it's not bolted down into the correct location.)
Either from removing and re-linking the chain wrong (but you didn't do anything with the chain?)
Or from taking the rear derailleur off and flipping it over 360 degrees.

The photo, rotated.
The green arrow points to the part of the chain that should go from the bottom of the front chainring to the bottom of the rear derailleur, around it's bottom pulley.
The red arrowpoints to the part that should wrap around the back and top of the cassette, not under the cassette like it is now.

But the way it's configured now, it can't go around the chain ring. You probably need to unbolt the rear derailleur from the frame, then flip it upside down, and flip again. Then rebolt to the frame.
Or: cut the chain with a chain tool and reattach it correctly after mounting all the bike components correctly.

That flipped picture helps. I can see how the chain has been flipped upside down. How he got it threaded through the RD that way is a conundrum...
smd4 is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 08:48 AM
  #60  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 461 Posts
Easiest way I can see to do this is to unbolt the 2 bolts holding the rear derailleur cage/pulley wheels. Remember which pulley goes on which end and same for the bolts if they are different and remember which orientation the removed cage piece is mounted. With that removed you can flip the chain over. Install the wheel with the top of the chain running on top of the cassette cog. For easier optics, rotate the pulley cage counter clockwise until the small pulley end is in the lower position and use a string or zip tie, etc. to hold it there. This makes it much easier to see the final routing as you're putting it together. Now install the upper (larger) pulley with the chain routed in front of it. Then route the chain around the back of the lower pulley and bolt the cage/pulley also making sure that the chain is routed inside any tabs on the cage. Refer to the posted diagrams above if in doubt about your routing. Done. Extra points for cleaning the parts while they're disassembled.
Crankycrank is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 09:22 AM
  #61  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 428 Posts
The problem is that the chain is upside down - the part of the chain that is up by the seatstay up by the brake should be the bottom run of the chain. I bet if you could pull the bit that is through the rear derailleur straight between the jockey wheels, you could flip the whole thing over so the bottom run is on the bottom through the derailleur and the top run can run over the top of the cassette. It might be helpful to remove the front part of the chain from the front derailleur to give you more room to work.


ClydeClydeson is offline  
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 05-12-22, 09:33 AM
  #62  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 8,611

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 689 Posts
The chain is looped. It is hard to discern in the picture but the part of the chain that is nearest the floor (red arrow) is the return from the chainring to the lower jockey wheel. The lower jockey wheel is nearest the floor.
Solution is to move the chain in nearest the floor (red arrow) past the other part (green arrow) and over the RD. Everything will fall into place. No need to take anything apart.
If the picture were presented from the top, you would see the portion of the chain (red arrow) is further from the frame center line than the other portion (green arrow). The RD cage needs to be rotated 180* at some point.
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  
Likes For SJX426:
Old 05-12-22, 10:01 AM
  #63  
damnbike
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Solved

Success!
Went to a bike shop, they said 1.5 week wait, I said screw that im fixing it myself. The key was to take my wife's bike, which is the same make/model as mine, just the female version, instead of my other bike, and sit her bike upsdie down right behind my bike upside down. (I work on bikes upside down because I don't have a bike mechanic stand). This way, I could look at both simulataneously, instead of turning my head back and forth, and forgetting what the other bike looked like immediately. I also had to wait till I wasn't brain fogged either. It really came down to the rear derailer being all coiled shut instead of sprung open like it should be.

Procedure on how I fixed it:
First I put the crankset back on
Then I pulled open the rear derailer and the chain magically untangled and gave me enough slack to put the chain over the pedal crank arm and onto the chainwheel.
then, with the rear derailer still held open, i put the rear wheel back on, and the front derailer back into position and it just worked.
damnbike is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 10:20 AM
  #64  
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Posts: 13,090

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 557 Posts
Originally Posted by damnbike View Post
Success!
Went to a bike shop, they said 1.5 week wait, I said screw that im fixing it myself. The key was to take my wife's bike, which is the same make/model as mine, just the female version, instead of my other bike, and sit her bike upsdie down right behind my bike upside down. (I work on bikes upside down because I don't have a bike mechanic stand). This way, I could look at both simulataneously, instead of turning my head back and forth, and forgetting what the other bike looked like immediately. I also had to wait till I wasn't brain fogged either. It really came down to the rear derailer being all coiled shut instead of sprung open like it should be.

Procedure on how I fixed it:
First I put the crankset back on
Then I pulled open the rear derailer and the chain magically untangled and gave me enough slack to put the chain over the pedal crank arm and onto the chainwheel.
then, with the rear derailer still held open, i put the rear wheel back on, and the front derailer back into position and it just worked.
You mean like I suggested in post #5, 5 days ago?
Bill Kapaun is offline  
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-12-22, 10:39 AM
  #65  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 1,370

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Super Corsa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 371 Posts
Congratulations! Glad you were able to figure it out.

Now, about your stripped crankarm problem...
smd4 is offline  
Old 05-12-22, 11:21 AM
  #66  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,894
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15916 Post(s)
Liked 3,266 Times in 2,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
Good reason to just buy simple, common tools like this locally. Why wait for Amazon to ship when every bike shop in the world has a chain tool, and they're not expensive enough that Amazon would save you meaningful money.
Likely faster shipping could have made a bigger mess when at most he needed to remove the rear derailleur jockey pulley wheels and flip the chain down and pull the derailleur cage around.
CliffordK is offline  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-12-22, 12:36 PM
  #67  
biker128pedal
Senior Member
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern VA
Posts: 1,409

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C being made an all arounder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by damnbike View Post
Success!
Went to a bike shop, they said 1.5 week wait, I said screw that im fixing it myself. The key was to take my wife's bike, which is the same make/model as mine, just the female version, instead of my other bike, and sit her bike upsdie down right behind my bike upside down. (I work on bikes upside down because I don't have a bike mechanic stand). This way, I could look at both simulataneously, instead of turning my head back and forth, and forgetting what the other bike looked like immediately. I also had to wait till I wasn't brain fogged either. It really came down to the rear derailer being all coiled shut instead of sprung open like it should be.

Procedure on how I fixed it:
First I put the crankset back on
Then I pulled open the rear derailer and the chain magically untangled and gave me enough slack to put the chain over the pedal crank arm and onto the chainwheel.
then, with the rear derailer still held open, i put the rear wheel back on, and the front derailer back into position and it just worked.
So now do you have enough posts to post pictures of your ride? Pictures or it never happened.

also now your on your way to being self sufficient.
biker128pedal is offline  
Likes For biker128pedal:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.