Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Did you ever work somewhere that...

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Did you ever work somewhere that...

Old 05-02-22, 11:28 AM
indyfabz
Banned.

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,155 Times in 4,950 Posts
I don't think I have ever had a terrible employment experience.

Even working in a hot dog cart one summer during high school was kind of cool. No weekends. $25/day cash at the end of the day. That was decent money for a 16 y.o. My mom didn't even mind if I dropped a buck or two at the arcade after work. I also got free lunch every day.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-22, 11:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17597 Post(s)
Liked 9,512 Times in 5,365 Posts
I've only worked for one company that sells to the public.
Old 05-02-22, 12:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 3,322 Times in 2,158 Posts
Today I pick heavy things up and set them down. I’m referred to as the Burro. Easy to bribe with cold beer and food. After two weekend rides in 90% humidity and temperatures around 90 I am fried, bored, demoralized, depressed, sore, aching joints, bipolar, middle aged and crazy lol. After four large mugs of ice tea I feel rehydrated. I guess I will mount some new tires on my bike. Back on topic after decades of laboring on my ranch with ungrateful relatives that refused to do anything to improve the land I finally said the heck with this. I sold my part and left never setting foot on the remaining property since. Moved near the hated rival town and that was that. So much happier now. Going to get a cold 6 pack of XX and work on my bike. And continue my current job by picking heavy things up and setting them down.

I’m good at changing bike tires lol. Trying out the Vittoria Terreno Zero see what happens.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 05-02-22 at 02:20 PM. Reason: XX
Old 05-02-22, 02:53 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I don't think I have ever had a terrible employment experience.

Even my experience with Kroger wasn't bad in reference to the job description and responsibilities. It was just stocking shelves, not much to go wrong there. It was the management/ownership and policy that made it so terrible. I have talked with more than a few people that share that opinion of them, as a company.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-02-22, 04:18 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 686 Posts
Thankfully, my memory is such that I'm unable to hold onto things that happened 30 years ago. I'll buy groceries from the devil himself if it saves me money and time.
Old 05-02-22, 08:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Even my experience with Kroger wasn't bad in reference to the job description and responsibilities. It was just stocking shelves, not much to go wrong there. It was the management/ownership and policy that made it so terrible. I have talked with more than a few people that share that opinion of them, as a company.
I used to be upset about how bad our management was.
Then a coworker with more seniority set me straight.
”You make good money, you have good job security, and because management is either not here or drunk, how can they ever file a complaint on you? You’ll never have more job freedom until you retire.”
I realized he was right and having the right type of incompetent management can actually be excellent.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 05-02-22, 09:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
”You make good money, you have good job security, and because management is either not here or drunk, how can they ever file a complaint on you? You’ll never have more job freedom until you retire.”
I realized he was right and having the right type of incompetent management can actually be excellent.
In industry, you only have to be somewhere close to as good as the competition. If the barrier to industry entry is high - large capital investment - then mediocrity settles in like a bad relative.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-02-22, 09:43 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
In industry, you only have to be somewhere close to as good as the competition. If the barrier to industry entry is high - large capital investment - then mediocrity settles in like a bad relative.
The other factor I realized in a lot of big industry is how often the owner is also the lawyer who previously was some type of commissioner for the city and is close family friends to some local politicos etc etc etc.

The funny thing is how many people are convinced the C-suite walks on water and it’s the lowest level union workers who are responsible for all biz calamities, lack of US competitiveness, etc.
Old 05-02-22, 10:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17597 Post(s)
Liked 9,512 Times in 5,365 Posts
​​​​​​I had the wrong type of management once who would pull us into his office to watch YouTube videos of people pretending to drive across the country on google maps street view. And then ask us why something wasn't done.
Old 05-02-22, 10:17 PM
Taymob

Bikes: Moots, Bianchi SBX, litespeed classic, Bianchi mega pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
was such a terrible experience that you refuse to purchase products from or shop with them?

Mine was Kroger (grocery chain). Some thirty years later and I still refuse to go into one of their stores if there is a choice or way around it.
Chase ! Once wanted to close an account and they made me drive to the physical location that opened my account in order to close it.
Old 05-03-22, 12:16 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​I had the wrong type of management once who would pull us into his office to watch YouTube videos of people pretending to drive across the country on google maps street view. And then ask us why something wasn't done.
Thats the worst!
I have probably said 10 words to our management in the last 6 months.
If management is useless I prefer them gone.
Old 05-03-22, 05:31 AM
BTinNYC
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Nomade, 1989 Centurion Prestige, 2022 Canyon Endurace SL8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 169 Posts
Luckily, I don't have to buy anything from Cisco.
Old 05-03-22, 08:56 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 188 Posts
Yeah, good point. Incompetent bosses can go both ways-- either a nuisance, or, safely out of your hair.

Though I've had some bosses who were quite hands-off, in a good way (not incompetent), but sometimes also in a bad way, because the same boss who wasn't breathing down your neck sometimes also wasn't there when you needed them for something.

(And then, once, the one who was incompetent* and wasn't there when you needed them for something... anything... at all... luckily that was only a college summer job.

*They had a reputation in the community. As in customers who wouldn't come back to their store, fellow business owners who didn't like them, etc. They tried to bad-mouth me for a later job when called for a reference. Unfortunately for them, my bosses at the job I was applying to also were acquaintaed with that person and didn't listen-- but they did tell me about it later. I kind of wonder how many more times they tried to pull that.)
Old 05-17-22, 10:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 15953 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,440 Posts
I generally avoid the State of Misery
Old 05-17-22, 01:59 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by jerrymor View Post
I did once worked in the bank which i wouldn't like to be a client of.

The only bank that I absolutely refuse to do business with is Wells. They did us super dirty back in the past and as an unfortunate side effect one of the people I did work for a bit later would only pay with a check drawn off them. Among many other banking institutions today, if you don't have an account with them, they make you drive to specific locations, jump through hoops, give your fingerprint, etc. During this time I went into the nearest full service location and they started giving me a hard time over not having an account. I insisted that the person whose name was on the check DID have an account and the least they could do was honor it without jerking me around. They asked if I wanted to open an account and I told them I would readily hold uncashed checks and starve before even the consideration of having them handle a personal account for me. I ended up having to wait around in their bank for an hour hassling everyone I could until they broke down and cashed it for me. I asked the person I was doing work for to consider cash or some other institution after that.

I have come to find that smaller regional banks or credit unions tend to be better than the "big three". I feel nearly the same about Nations/Bank America/whatever they are calling themselves today (if they even exist anymore).
Old 05-18-22, 01:29 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 599 Posts
Denny's. My first real job was as hostess in the mid '80s. I don't know what it's like now, but I don't imagine things have improved much. I'm not sure which was worse; the time the cooks kicked a rat to death in the kitchen, or the bathrooms after the bars closed. The men's was bad, but the women's was an actual poop-show.
Old 05-18-22, 03:11 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

The only bank that I absolutely refuse to do business with is Wells. They did us super dirty back in the past and as an unfortunate side effect one of the people I did work for a bit later would only pay with a check drawn off them. Among many other banking institutions today, if you don't have an account with them, they make you drive to specific locations, jump through hoops, give your fingerprint, etc. During this time I went into the nearest full service location and they started giving me a hard time over not having an account. I insisted that the person whose name was on the check DID have an account and the least they could do was honor it without jerking me around. They asked if I wanted to open an account and I told them I would readily hold uncashed checks and starve before even the consideration of having them handle a personal account for me. I ended up having to wait around in their bank for an hour hassling everyone I could until they broke down and cashed it for me. I asked the person I was doing work for to consider cash or some other institution after that.

I have come to find that smaller regional banks or credit unions tend to be better than the "big three". I feel nearly the same about Nations/Bank America/whatever they are calling themselves today (if they even exist anymore).
The best way to rob a bank is to own one.
Old 05-18-22, 07:07 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

The best way to rob a bank is to own one.

Any further discussion on that front would have to be in PnR...
Old 05-18-22, 07:36 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 407 Posts
I've worked a few jobs that were commissioned sales. Management had to be on top of things at all times in those organizations. If they let down their guard the ethical standards would quickly deteriorate, and it would turn into a free-for-all among the sales staff.
Old 05-18-22, 08:50 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I've worked a few jobs that were commissioned sales. Management had to be on top of things at all times in those organizations. If they let down their guard the ethical standards would quickly deteriorate, and it would turn into a free-for-all among the sales staff.
I can feel this one. I worked at a place as a technician for several years and liked it quite a bit. They opted to change my position over to a sales based pay structure where I would go out in the field and meet with customers, discuss their needs, look at the property in regard to how to install, and get them scheduled. We had 24H phone service with an answering service that would basically download a message with all the pertinent information. These were customers that had called us, showed interest in our product and wanted a follow up. The first few days of this and I am KILLING it, made a really nice paycheck. The bosses wife suddenly decided that she didn't like that structure (me making good money based on what they set up) so she told me I had to go cold call entirely, that I was not allowed to follow up on the hot leads any more, that her husband (the owner) would do that, essentially cutting me out.

IMO there are few things worse than cold calling people who haven't specifically signaled an interest in your product or service. I hang up on them all the time...
Old 05-18-22, 09:15 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 3,322 Times in 2,158 Posts
I liked harvest time when we had a vegetable farm. Especially when my spoiled cousins would start crying in the field . I guess the parents shouldn’t have sent them here for the summer. I guess they thought a functioning farm was going to be Disneyland.
Old 05-18-22, 09:51 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

I worked for a fire department for a while as an admin employee doing fire sprinkler and fire alarm inspections, plus data tracking of fires and 'hazmat' stuff. The admin staff was OK (even the Chief and other 'sworn' personnel in the mgmt ranks) and 'open', but the firefighters themselves were total 'para-military' and loath to admit anything, want to get any training from an outsider like me, or give out any information without approval from the upper command (admin) management; nothing secret in what I was looking for or trying to do to help them. Really frustrating and the management wasn't too supportive, so I eventually moved on. My takeaway from it is firefighters know a lot less about fire sprinkler/fire alarm/builging safety systems than I thought they did.
Old 05-18-22, 10:24 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I worked for a fire department for a while as an admin employee doing fire sprinkler and fire alarm inspections, plus data tracking of fires and 'hazmat' stuff. The admin staff was OK (even the Chief and other 'sworn' personnel in the mgmt ranks) and 'open', but the firefighters themselves were total 'para-military' and loath to admit anything, want to get any training from an outsider like me, or give out any information without approval from the upper command (admin) management; nothing secret in what I was looking for or trying to do to help them. Really frustrating and the management wasn't too supportive, so I eventually moved on. My takeaway from it is firefighters know a lot less about fire sprinkler/fire alarm/builging safety systems than I thought they did.
My career path is in fire safety from a basis of alarm, access control, and CCTV. We don't deal with firefighters, per se, but with the marshal. Many of them are very reasonable and easy to deal with. In some cases they are, well, extremely difficult and frustrating to deal with. In spite of code, in spite of law they have carte blanche to have things any way they want lest you lose ability to work in their jurisdiction any more. Only makes it worse if you try quoting code to them.
We have found it much easier to contact them right off the bat and ask of them what they want/expect regardless of what code says about it.
Old 05-20-22, 07:43 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

My career path is in fire safety from a basis of alarm, access control, and CCTV. We don't deal with firefighters, per se, but with the marshal. Many of them are very reasonable and easy to deal with. In some cases they are, well, extremely difficult and frustrating to deal with. In spite of code, in spite of law they have carte blanche to have things any way they want lest you lose ability to work in their jurisdiction any more. Only makes it worse if you try quoting code to them.
We have found it much easier to contact them right off the bat and ask of them what they want/expect regardless of what code says about it.
We never did anything randomly like that. There's a section in the ICC fire code's first chapter that allows for variations, I think its called 'Other Means & Methods'. Basically, if a developer/designer wants a variance they have to do an analysis (sometimes with documented engineering support) to prove that their exception will still meet the intent of the fire code. Pretty straightforward. You get all the design stuff ironed out up front so the construction goes as smooth as possible.

FWIW: California adopts the ICC's generic fire code, with some state variations, and calls it the California State Fire Code. Municipalities in the state adopt the California code, and they can add variances as needed through their municipal code process. Any way you look at it, its all pretty above-board.