Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Using Garmin Varia with seat bag

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-22, 12:27 PM
Twoson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a good amount of exposed seatpost to work with, and want to mount a Varia to the seatpost while still using a small seat bag. Garmin support told me that any bag no matter how small could block the radar. I'm just wondering if anyone's gotten away with a tool roll or similarly-sized bag mounted to their saddle rails while mounting a Varia several inches below.
Old 06-09-22, 12:44 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
This is my set up and it works great. As long as the RADAR antenna isn’t obstructed it will work without issue.

Old 06-09-22, 12:54 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Mine works fine with this set up.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-09-22, 12:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Twoson
I have a good amount of exposed seatpost to work with, and want to mount a Varia to the seatpost while still using a small seat bag. Garmin support told me that any bag no matter how small could block the radar. I'm just wondering if anyone's gotten away with a tool roll or similarly-sized bag mounted to their saddle rails while mounting a Varia several inches below.
​​​​​​When they aren't there to be able to see the radar on the bike, they have to be extra cautious like that. It sounds like they're saying you can't do this but millions of cyclists do. Just make sure the bag isn't actually blocking the radar.
Old 06-09-22, 03:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Just don't let the bag rub on the unit. If yours is the model with the button on top then the bag rubbing on it might wear the button off exposing the internals like it did on mine.

Just put it on and see if you get decent results.

Sometimes practical experience can do more than theoretical talk
Old 06-15-22, 04:44 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by Twoson
I've been using the first gen Varia radar with a seat bag quite close above it (due to short legs and limited seat post) without a problem. I recently got the 515 and that one needs a bit more vertical space, so I am cramming my saddle bag up into the rails.
Old 06-19-22, 04:56 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've been using the first gen Varia radar with a seat bag quite close above it (due to short legs and limited seat post) without a problem. I recently got the 515 and that one needs a bit more vertical space, so I am cramming my saddle bag up into the rails.
I have, it works fine. The radar is in the black portion below the light. As long as you don't have it hidden behind metal, it should be fine. Most "bike" stuff is radar transparent (e.g. non metal stuff). I've even put one in my jersey pocket when I had a full rack on the back and it worked just fine. I also have the radar only version and use that when I have a rack on the back with a rack trunk. The radar is on a mount on the chain stay under the rack (inside the rack) and then I have a separate light on the back of the rack. That also works just fine. Bottom line - if you can see the light or if even the black part of the radar unit is visible, you'll be able to make it work just fine.

J.
Old 06-19-22, 05:14 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I used a small tool bag with the RTL-510 but sometimes it would press on the button and turn the radar off. Switched to a tool roll. I did not have any issues with the radar with the bag or now with the tool roll.
Old 06-26-22, 02:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I use the Topeak saddle bags that clip onto a bracket and are easy to remove. On the ends I added Varia mounts that through bolt to the end of the bag and allow me to adjust the angle of the Varia for maximum range. The best mounts I have found on eBay after trying a couple sold on Amazon that were not nearly as well made. They sell for around $10 and the narrower ones with 2 mounting screws work better than the wider ones with 4 screws used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31307166409...0AAOSwU1tikHb1