Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Alan bicycle identification

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-22, 12:49 AM
minispdrcr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Alan bicycle identification

Hello all,
just trying to see if anyone knows anything about this bike, I tried looking it up by the stickers but nothing came up. Tried Alan cross and also didn't see one like this, especially with all the cables on the top tube.

Likes For minispdrcr:
Old 06-10-22, 05:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Really cool looking bike. Don't know anything about it, sorry.

This thread has a bike that looks very similar (without the Masciarelli logos) and a link to a catalog that has a very similar looking frame (calling it a carbonio cross).
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-10-22, 05:57 AM
minispdrcr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for those just hard to find one that has the cable going through the seat lug

Originally Posted by himespau
Really cool looking bike. Don't know anything about it, sorry.

This thread has a bike that looks very similar (without the Masciarelli logos) and a link to a catalog that has a very similar looking frame (calling it a carbonio cross).
Old 06-10-22, 06:38 AM
himespau 

Yeah, I can't tell how the FD cable is routed in the thread I linked (honestly, I don't see any cables running to the FD - maybe it wasn't finished or was being used as a chain keeper?), but the catalog frame has an all aluminum frame next to it that shows the FD cable routed through the seat lug as yours.

Googling the other name on your frame does come up with a bike brand, but it also comes up as the last name of a number of cyclocross racers in Italy. Maybe one of them bought the ALAN frame and bought decals for their last name? Somewhere or other, I have some lettering of my name that I'd at one time considered putting on a powdercoated commuter bike that no longer hand it's brand logos on them (though my name in script was going to be rather small).
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-10-22, 07:00 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The catalog pages linked show the cable going through the seat lug near the end. it is in a photo by itself. Maybe that was a customization and you paid extra for it? I suspect it is just a stock Alan that was branded for that company, and had that customization added.

Whatever the specifics it is a beautiful bike.
Old 06-10-22, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject frame appears to be an Alan Top Cross, which they marketed as a CX and trekking frame. The distinctive features are the presence of s-shaped chain stays (to accommodate wider tyres) and a hanger bridge for the rear brake cable, along with the seat cluster acting as the cable stop for the front derailleur.

This one appears to be relatively modern based on the replaceable dropout hanger. It would be interesting to know if there is a water bottle style boss on the back of the lower seat tube. This was used to redirect the cable direction and was employed in the early 1990s until top pull front derailleurs became common. It's hard to tell from the photos if it is the carbonio (carbon fibre) or aluminum version.

The attached scan is from a undated 1990s catalogue. The pictured Top Cross does not have the replaceable dropout hanger of the OP's bicycle, so the catalogue appears to be older. We may be able to determine the year from the serial numbe

r.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-10-22, 07:10 AM
minispdrcr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was getting some information as I am looking to purchase. I think 300usd isn't bad?
Old 06-10-22, 09:37 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by minispdrcr
I was getting some information as I am looking to purchase. I think 300usd isn't bad?
I think that's a reasonable price
Old 06-10-22, 09:53 AM
himespau 

Looks like you're paying for the frameset (and maybe wheels) at that price as what components are there look pretty rough. It probably depends on what you're looking for (and maybe the size of your parts bit). And also how well it fits (that might be more of an educated guess based on geometry). If you're looking for a cool-looking ride that no one else has to do gravel rides on and you've got the budget/parts bin to build it up, I'd say that looks like a decent prices for a really cool ride. If you're hoping to restore it to as new to flip it, I'm not sure that would be a great monetary investment, but you might find someone who thinks it's as cool as you/I do.
Old 06-10-22, 10:24 AM
minispdrcr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I might just buy the frame set would be cheaper this way. I have way more than enough parts wise.

[​QUOTE=himespau;22537100]Looks like you're paying for the frameset (and maybe wheels) at that price as what components are there look pretty rough. It probably depends on what you're looking for (and maybe the size of your parts bit). And also how well it fits (that might be more of an educated guess based on geometry). If you're looking for a cool-looking ride that no one else has to do gravel rides on and you've got the budget/parts bin to build it up, I'd say that looks like a decent prices for a really cool ride. If you're hoping to restore it to as new to flip it, I'm not sure that would be a great monetary investment, but you might find someone who thinks it's as cool as you/I do.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by minispdrcr; 06-10-22 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-11-22, 01:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 2,177 Posts
-----

attenzione: fabiofarelli

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-12-22, 07:36 AM
minispdrcr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, it will be on its way to me tomorrow, just the frame.

​​​​​​Wish i knew where to find the single crank with the double wall​ like they came with

Last edited by minispdrcr; 06-12-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-12-22, 09:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by minispdrcr
...​​​​​​Wish i knew where to find the single crank with the double wall​ like they came with
You can make want you want. The inner and outer guards of many of the old cyclocross cranksets were not much more than chainrings without the teeth. Buy two chainrings slightly larger than your chosen drive chainring and remove the teeth. Mount the drive chainring to the normal inner chainring position and one of the guards in the normal outer chainring position. The inner guard is mounted using the extra long chainring bolts that are available to convert double cranksets to triples.
Likes For T-Mar: