Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chain Lube

Old 06-08-22, 11:06 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
And kind of hate Tri-Flow cause of that cloying SMELL
That's the second-best reason to use it!
Old 06-09-22, 02:44 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 322 Posts
I use 3-in-1 blue bottle oil, just a few drops will do for a chain - too much attracts dirt and makes a mess.
Old 06-09-22, 06:10 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Gasoline or diesel for cleaning, ATF for lubing. Cheap and good results so far.
Old 06-09-22, 11:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
There is a California approved Odorless mineral spirits and you can find it at your Home depot. Mineral spirits clean way better than acetone. You clean the gunk off with mineral spirits, then you clean the mineral spirits off with acetone.
it exists but is emasculated as a solvent.
kerosene is hard to come by now.
so is denatured alcohol
I do understand but at some point, the materials are only marginal.

like aircraft paint stripper... gone
methylene chloride is nasty stuff but effective.
Old 06-10-22, 05:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
On one visit, I stood there are read the labels on all the different solvents offered at Home Depot. There were lots of different names on the cans but the ingredients all said "Acetone".

Still, I am encouraged by your post and will check into it.

I do have 5 quarts of old school mineral spirits but I am not parting with that for chain cleaning.
“Green” mineral spirits is mostly useless. It’s, basically, soapy water. Some things that might work and seem to be available in California (I’m not from there, so I can’t say for certain) are “Painter’s Solvent” which is a mixture of ketones and mineral spirit. Kerosene is also available. Lighter fluid is very close to mineral spirits but maybe a bit more expensive.

I don’t know if you can get Coleman stove fuel (aka “white gas”) but that would be similar as well.

Under no circumstances should you use gasoline. You might as well just go into bomb disposal without a suit. Yes, it is that hazardous! As a chemist, I’d use water…which is totally ineffective…before using gasoline.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-10-22, 10:14 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Very interesting discussion here, no? The thread topic was lube but the more important discussion is about the pre-lube solvent cleaning.

I used ethanol-free, 50:1 pre-mixed gasoline (gas : oil) because it was right at hand. I picked that over plain gas because it leaves behind a tiny bit of oil after the gas evaporates.

Coleman fuel, as I understand it, is gasoline with no additives at all. I had some but it did not come to mind. It might be better than pre-mix.

I forgot about charcoal lighter fluid but that is a really good one to try next time.

Now that the wax is gone, the acetone will work, too.

Regarding safety - I wore gloves, worked outdoors directly on on a concrete slab with no heat sources nearby (no pilot lights, I don't smoke, etc). It was humid enough that ESD was not a big concern.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-12-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-10-22, 01:11 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 846 Times in 322 Posts
Is there any consensus for whether something like the Park Tool chain cleaning machine (the plastic thing with the brushes inside) is worth it for a simpler chain set up like a single speed or three speed? I saw a couple said they use that, and I was looking at it, but not sure whether it is of benefit with a simpler chain set up or not.
Old 06-10-22, 02:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I think the park chain cleaner gets all the grit out of the chain periodically. For "squeaky" clean, dump the black stuff out and use fresh from the can for a second washing. For reusable link users, removing and swishing around in the tub of kerosene works as well.

Last edited by Classtime; 06-10-22 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 06-10-22, 02:56 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 331 Posts
Apparently Coleman Fuel is Naphtha + a small amount of rust inhibitor.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Liq...MO2/ref=sr_1_1

Getting naphtha is a bit tricky in the UK currently so I did the research (great for cleaning brake tracks on rims).
Old 06-10-22, 07:39 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 346 Posts
I have used ProLink for the past 20 years or so. It's a good lube and a good cleaner. But I doubt that the chain lube a person uses makes any difference in the grand scheme of things.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 06-10-22, 11:34 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
I tried White Lightning (wax lube) when it first came out. I hated it; it made the chain run stiff and slow, IMHO. I then went back to oil-based lubricants:

Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil, Triflow (teflon), Boeshield, etc.

With oil-based lubricants, I don't have to endure the misery of trying to scrub off accumulated wax. Here in smoggy and drought-dry Southern California, I now clean my chain using Park CB-4 "Bio" chain cleaner, applied by using a Finish Line chain scrubber box with the chain still on the bike. After two scrub cycles, I follow up by removing the chain and giving it a quick acetone rinse in a stainless steel can. Since I use a Wipperman chain with a slip-fit master link, the quick rinse is an easy task. After a 15 minute hang-dry on an outdoor hook, the chain is ready for reinstallation and lubrication.

I have no experience with the newest class of lubricants which are using micro particles instead of teflon.

However, here's my current lubricant, which isn't 'state of the art', but at one generation back, I think is still very good. I've been using for a few years now and I really like it: https://lillylube.com

Lilly Lube is available thru Amazon.

Of course, you can also search for Google reviews on bicycle chain lubricant and decide accordingly.
Old 06-11-22, 05:18 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I used Break-Free CLP for a while. I always figured it was equivalent to Tri-Flow but cheaper in bulk sizes. I could be wrong.

I got the impression that it was picking up to much grit and creating a grinding paste.

I switched over to Nixfrixshun. It seems to work as described. I'm also a little bit more facetious since wearing out a couple drive trains using CLP.
Old 06-11-22, 06:04 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Very interesting discussion here, no? The thread topic was lube but the more important discussion is about the pre-lube solvent cleaning.

I used ethanol-free, 50:1 pre-mixed gasoline (gas : oil) because it was right at hand. I picked that over plain gas because it leaves behind a tiny bit of oil after the gas evaporates.
There are thousands of house fires started each year by people using gasoline. With a flash point of -40°F, it is not a safe solvent to use at any temperature that you will regularly encounter. It shouldn’t be handled cavalierly.

Coleman fuel, as I understand it, is gasoline with no additives at all. I has some but it did not come to mind. It might be better than pre-mix.
You are misinformed. Coleman fuel isn’t “pure gas”. With an octane rating of 50 to 55, it would make a car run extremely poorly if you use it. The “white gas” name comes from the fact that some oil wells will produce a clear, colorless liquid that is also called “drip gas” because it will “drip” from the well head. It is naphtha which is similar to mineral spirits, although it usually has some more benzene in it. That gives it a lower flashpoint of around 0°F compared to mineral spirits’ flashpoint of closer to 70°F to 131°F, depending on the grade.

I forgot about charcoal lighter fluid but that is a really good one to try next time.
Again, similar to white gas and mineral spirits. It has a higher flash point.

Now that the wax is gone, the acetone will work, too.
Not really. Acetone is water soluble which is known as a polar solvent. All chain lubricants are nonpolar. You can fiddle a little with the polarity by adding a surfactant (soap) which is what Simple Green and other water based solvents do but there is a limit (very small limit) to how much grease they can solubilize. Mineral spirits and stove fuel have no limits. You can mix as much grease and oil with them as you like to the point where you have more grease and oil than solvent and they will still dissolve grease and oil.

Regarding safety - I wore gloves, worked outdoors directly on on a concrete slab with no heat sources nearby (no pilot lights, I don't smoke, etc). It was humid enough that ESD was not a big concern.
There is a toxicity factor to consider with gasoline as well. The acute issue with it is flammability but it does contain a large percentage of chemicals that can result in chronic problems. Coleman fuel and mineral spirits can contain some of those same chemicals but they are there is far lower concentrations which is why they aren’t quite as flammable.

Overall, they are just safer. Frankly, the CARB standards getting rid of mineral spirits was an unwise decision. People will probably go to using gasoline which is more hazardous and more of a volatile substance…which adds to the air pollution problem.

Finally, as to chain lubricants, there really isn’t one that works better than all the others. There isn’t even a handful that work better than all the rest. No matter what you use, you can expect to get about the same mileage out of a chain. If there were one that was far superior to all the others, we would never had long involved discussions about chain lubricant.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-11-22, 06:15 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I tried White Lightning (wax lube) when it first came out. I hated it; it made the chain run stiff and slow, IMHO. I then went back to oil-based lubricants:

Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil, Triflow (teflon), Boeshield, etc.

With oil-based lubricants, I don't have to endure the misery of trying to scrub off accumulated wax. Here in smoggy and drought-dry Southern California, I now clean my chain using Park CB-4 "Bio" chain cleaner, applied by using a Finish Line chain scrubber box with the chain still on the bike. After two scrub cycles, I follow up by removing the chain and giving it a quick acetone rinse in a stainless steel can. Since I use a Wipperman chain with a slip-fit master link, the quick rinse is an easy task. After a 15 minute hang-dry on an outdoor hook, the chain is ready for reinstallation and lubrication.
As a long term solvent wax user (White Lightning and other related products), I’ve never had to “scrub off accumulated wax”. People who are new to the material are overusing it because they want a drivetrain that “sounds” like an oiled one…i.e. dead silent. The chain isn’t squeaking but it is noisier. That solvent waxed chains aren’t as quiet as oiled chains which is something that the user just has to accept. The chains last as long so there isn’t really a problem with the (slightly) increased noise.

That said, I’ve used solvent wax for 25+ years and the major advantage is that I don’t have to clean my drivetrain….ever! Chains are stripped of the factory wax before they go on the bike because I’ve found the drivetrain to stay cleaner that way. Wax lubricant is put on the chain every 600 to 700 miles, just like oil lubricants. But the chain stays on the bike for about 3500 miles and never needs cleaning. No weekly chain cleaning. No weekly tear downs of the bike to remove oily crud. No chainring tattoos on my legs. No oily mess if I have to put the bike in a car. And no oily hands (clothing, pets, wife, kids, etc.) if I happen to brush up against the chain. My bicycle maintenance duties are so little that I have to volunteer at a co-op to work on bikes

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-12-22, 08:55 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
6-700 miles on one application of wax chain lube!? If you don’t keep track of miles, how do you know when to re-apply if the chain is always noisy?
Old 06-12-22, 10:51 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
@cyccommute , thanks for your inputs to this thread. Those are significant contributions, clarifying erroneous info picked up over the years and for the cautions on safety.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions, really.

My old Regina Oro chain is clean and lubed with Phil Oil and is back on the bike. I have a new chain sitting in my tool box and there are new chainrings in transit to me. I am set.
Old 06-12-22, 03:36 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Classtime
6-700 miles on one application of wax chain lube!? If you don’t keep track of miles, how do you know when to re-apply if the chain is always noisy?
The same question could be asked of oil users. I usually only apply after rain. People who use oil should do the same because the oil is contaminated with water and the water seeks the metal since both are polar. Oil just masks the sounds of the rust where wax actually squeaks.

That the chain is “noisy” doesn’t mean that the chain is squeaking. It just makes more noise. It’s something you get used to. Solvent wax doesn’t need to be refreshed every 100 miles like White Lightning tells you. You are never going to drown out the whirring sound of a wax lub chain. Trying to do so will only result in excess wax.

I don’t usually track my mileage between lubrications but I have had occasion to do so. I did a 1500 mile tour and applied it shortly before the tour, at about the half way point and just before the end. I also have total mileage on that chain which was 3500 miles.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-12-22, 04:13 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I have noted the ever-present sound of rattling rollers on chains that were wax-lubed, which is why I don't use wax myself.

The OP's old Regina chain is likely a bushed-design chain, which tend to be far more reliant on more than scant lubrication since these chains are much less flexible laterally.

My own preference for chain lube is something that is 75% solvent-diluted, which helps get the chain clean quickly on the bike and which leaves no excess of oil inside of the chain after wiping it down thoroughly with terry cloth.
I am thus able to complete the whole lube and wipe to the chain using a continuous stream, and it takes just a minute or two.

Emphasis on using a suitable squeeze bottle with calibrated applicator tube, so as to deliver the oil at an optimal flow rate while turning the cranks through two or three passes of the entire length of the chain.
The flat-sided, 4oz squeeze bottle with thin applicator delivers just the right amount of lube to a moving chain using a 75% solvent mix.

Last edited by dddd; 06-12-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 09:44 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
“Green” mineral spirits is mostly useless. It’s, basically, soapy water. Some things that might work and seem to be available in California (I’m not from there, so I can’t say for certain) are “Painter’s Solvent” which is a mixture of ketones and mineral spirit. Kerosene is also available. Lighter fluid is very close to mineral spirits but maybe a bit more expensive.

I don’t know if you can get Coleman stove fuel (aka “white gas”) but that would be similar as well.
How about charcoal lighter fluid?

Is this same as mineral spirits?
Old 06-13-22, 10:08 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
This entire topic is ALMOST a moot point .. I mean c'mon everyone is replacing their chain 1-2 times/season anyhow right? No need to make so much fuss IMO.
Old 06-13-22, 01:58 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
This entire topic is ALMOST a moot point .. I mean c'mon everyone is replacing their chain 1-2 times/season anyhow right? No need to make so much fuss IMO.
Umm, no. That would be wasteful, environmentally poor practice and pointless.

I replace chains when they exceed 0.5% elongation. That's the approximate point where the chain starts destroying the freewheel cogs and chainrings. Using a quality lubricant (e.g. Molten Speed Wax or Silca Super Secret) means that you can get many thousands of miles out of a chain. If you pay attention to the testing done by Zero Friction Cycling you will realize that there is a massive difference between the wear rates of the different lube types and in general, heat-applied encapsulating lubes (e.g. wax with friction-reducing additives) score the highest, some (but not all, e.g. White Lightning) drip-on solvent-containing wax lubes are pretty good, and wet lubes score incredibly poorly in this regard.
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-FAQ-v1.3b.pdf

Last edited by davester; 06-13-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 02:14 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 119 Posts
I use one of those chain cleaners with the brushes inside. I fill it with Marvel Mystery Oil. Chain cleans up pretty nice, after I wipe it off any residual Marvel Mystery Oil won`t hurt anything. Then I lube it with Synthetic Gear Oil.
Old 06-13-22, 02:34 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Completely disagree.

My SRAM 8-speed chains go 2500-3500 miles before hitting 0.5% elongation, at which time they are replaced, so 2-4 years/bike. I’ve been using Pro Link Gold or Boeshield for years, typically reapplied every 300-400 miles when they start “talking”.

I decided to try Smoove on one bike after reading impressive comparative test results, and it’s a love/not love relationship. Love that after 4,000 miles there’s zero elongation, and re-application only seems needed every 500-600 miles. Not loving the mess it creates on the pulleys, cogs and chainstay. It doesn’t attract dirt, but the instructions “Do not wipe off excess” lead to that mess.

Last edited by Dfrost; 06-14-22 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-13-22, 04:26 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
How about charcoal lighter fluid?

Is this same as mineral spirits?
Almost. It’s slightly more flammable than mineral spirits so that it ignites easily. I believe the flashpoint is somewhat higher than Coleman fuel, however. It will work just as well as mineral spirits and is likely available because you can’t really make “green” lighter fluid.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-14-22, 02:35 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Completely disagree.

My SRAM 8-speed chains go 2500-3500 miles before hitting 0.5% elongation, at which time they are replaced, so 2-4 years/bike. I’ve been using Pro Link Gold or Boeshield for years, typically reapplied every 300-400 miles when they start “talking”.

I decided to try Smoove on one bike after reading impressive comparative test results, and it’s a love/not love relationship. Love that after 4,000 miles there’s zero elongation, and re-application only seems needed every 500-600 miles. Not loving the mess it creates on the pulleys, cogs and chainstay. It doesn’t attract dirt, but the instructions “Do not wipe off excess” lead to that mess.
Exactly my point - I ride 10,000 miles a year and replace my chain 1-2 times. Sure, of course, if you're only riding a 'few' miles/year you'll keep your chain alot longer, but, by the same token, need to clean it much less often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.