Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Performance bikes .... get no respect?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Performance bikes .... get no respect?

Old 06-21-22, 10:40 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Performance Bike Shop
They were a great shop. I also miss them.
A lot of good Forte items without having to order from China.
Kestrel's in stock.
The Clearance Table
Zipp 403's
Old 06-21-22, 01:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Mine was the most "LBS" shop around, as well as the closest, smokin deals every time I walked in the door, often eye watering.

Probably one of the reasons they went under.
Old 06-21-22, 02:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I never cared for the one in Beaverton as a shop. It was hard to get an employee to talk to you (sometimes even when you were standing by the register waiting to give them money) and the mechanical advice was often questionable (usually coming from someone other than a mechanic). I do miss being able to buy tubes for $4.
Old 06-21-22, 03:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I never cared for the one in Beaverton as a shop. It was hard to get an employee to talk to you (sometimes even when you were standing by the register waiting to give them money) and the mechanical advice was often questionable (usually coming from someone other than a mechanic). I do miss being able to buy tubes for $4.
Never went to the Beaverton store but the other, Tualatin/Bridgeport store was ok the few times I went and I went to one in San Diego one time that was ok too.

Mine was a gem, of course they knew me and I managed to get along with them well so....

Also had been going there for a long time.
Old 06-21-22, 03:08 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I need to post my Performance Blue Ridge. I love it, but haven't ridden it nearly enough. I was able to fit (just barely with a funky brake config) 38c tires on it. This is on an Italian built Columbus SL frame with chrome lugs!
Old 06-21-22, 06:45 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Answered an ad for a Merckx EMX-3 in Chapel Hill NC. Got there, guy had moved there from Colorado (and Colorado Cyclist) to work at Performance HQ. The staff rode most days at lunch. He won an employee contest for Zipps. As he was about to build the EMX-3 he got at Colorado Cyclery, his wife asked “do you really intend to put those wheels on your competitor’s frame and ride it AT WORK?”

When I got there, he was building the unmarked Performance bare carbon frame up with the wheels and the latest Forte group. It was lighter by far than the Merckx. I felt bad they went out about a year later, came across one of those frames; really nice.