Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Pizza!

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Pizza!

Old 02-07-22, 09:18 AM
late

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11146 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 760 Posts
Pizza!

Trends come and go, back in the early 80s, pizza was trendy. I still have a couple of the pizza cookbooks from back then. I made some good pizza. Some easy 'tricks' get buffalo mozarella, fresh basil, and learn how to make a thin crust pizza. Don't treat it like a pack mule most of the time. In Italy lot of pizza is a showcase, like an appetizer, or a light meal. Never saw a loaded pizza there. Less is more.

Well, pizza is trendy again, and there's new recipes, and new pizza equipment, and it looks like fun.

https://tastecooking.com/the-at-home...=pocket-newtab

If I still have that 80s cookbook, I'll you about it. It's not on the cookbook bookshelf, but it might be in the cellar. Most likely I loaned it out, or gave it away. I'm, thinking about getting one of those new steel pizza pans (although they're flat).
Old 02-07-22, 09:19 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by late View Post
Trends come and go, back in the early 80s, pizza was trendy. I still have a couple of the pizza cookbooks from back then. I made some good pizza. Some easy 'tricks' get buffalo mozarella, fresh basil, and learn how to make a thin crust pizza. Don't treat it like a pack mule most of the time. In Italy lot of pizza is a showcase, like an appetizer, or a light meal. Never saw a loaded pizza there. Less is more.

Well, pizza is trendy again, and there's new recipes, and new pizza equipment, and it looks like fun.

https://tastecooking.com/the-at-home...=pocket-newtab

If I still have that 80s cookbook, I'll you about it. It's not on the cookbook bookshelf, but it might be in the cellar. Most likely I loaned it out, or gave it away. I', thinking about getting one of those new steel pizza pans (although they're flat).
Where I used to work we had a rule. You could not talk about food unless you brought it in. So I expect you to show up in Foo in the near future with pizza.. It is a rule.

Last edited by making; 02-07-22 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For making:
Old 02-07-22, 09:22 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts
new pizza equipment, .
That is what this 'new' trend is about. Selling more stuff.
Old 02-07-22, 09:23 AM
making
Super Moderator

When was pizza not trendy?
Old 02-07-22, 09:37 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 434 Posts
I'm, thinking about getting one of those new steel pizza pans (although they're flat).
They're supposed to be something other than flat?

It's been a decade-ish since I made homemade pizza. They were never anything to brag about. But they were better than anything from the freezer section.
And I never bothered with getting a pizza peel. It'd take up too much space for the amount I'd use it.
Old 02-07-22, 10:00 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 12508 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,733 Posts
OK I cheat.

We use Boboli thin crust, cook it on a Traegar smoker at 425 degrees for about 18-20 minutes and usually use homemade pesto for the base layer... We add tons of toppings with mozzarella cheese to hold it all together.

I get no complaints except "we want more."

No local pizza joint even comes close... not even the "wood fired" place.

Of course, truth be told, I could put that pesto on cardboard and it would taste great.
Likes For genec:
Old 02-07-22, 10:24 AM
late

https://www.crustkingdom.com/best-pizza-cookbooks/
Old 02-07-22, 11:32 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked 3,311 Times in 2,151 Posts
Pizza makes you fat a couple of slices along the Katy Trail was great. Kept the pedals rolling.
Old 02-07-22, 12:26 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Pizza makes you fat a couple of slices along the Katy Trail was great. Kept the pedals rolling.
True.
But mix it with your Beer thread and you've really got something.
Likes For skijor:
Old 02-07-22, 02:47 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Quoted: 2426 Post(s)
Liked 3,234 Times in 1,745 Posts
Originally Posted by making View Post
I think you have to go back to the Emperor Justinian.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-07-22, 02:58 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5343 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,286 Posts
I make pizza for the family; about 2x a week. Either based on Neapolitan or NY style crust. Much more NY lately as the family likes it softer and it is more forgiving. While I've made ideal crust & pizzas with just the right flours and long cool rising, etc. I prefer to make them with what I have on hand. From start to eating I can get 3 pizzas on the table in an hour and 30min.

Last night after a full day of hiking I made my usual three - a NY crust with sugar and olive oil. The first two had different mixes of onion, olive, mushroom and pepperoni. I used a jar sauce which is rare as I usually make my own from a can of whole tomatoes. I ran out of toppings for the third so grabbed three cherry tomatoes, a few sliced garlic cloves sliced and a the last of artichoke hearts from a jar. This one I froze for later.

Likes For noisebeam:
Old 02-07-22, 02:59 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by making View Post
thats what i was thinking to..If I were on death row I might very well order a large pizza for my last meal.
Old 02-07-22, 03:00 PM
making
Super Moderator

Now all of you have to bring pizza to foo. Make sure to coordinate so I don't have to eat too much any one time.
Old 02-07-22, 03:06 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
I know it's not along the line you are discussing, but I worked at all of the local major pizza chains aside from Papa Johns early in my working life. I very much enjoyed it.
At the time and my experience there was that Little Caesars had the best ingredients and best pizza. Everything was made fresh in house daily. The issue was that you had to make two pies out of what should have been one. All the cheese was real, the meats were Hormel.
Old 02-07-22, 05:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2911 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,395 Posts
If we are going to refer to "pizza" as trendy we must call it properly 'za.

I don't think pizza has ever not been popular, it is a pretty great food and even when completely and utterly screwed up like the pizza flavored pie they serve in Chicago, it is still good. Certainly yes it is probably seeing a larger at home audience with the Ooni (and other) at home ovens (which I do want but don't need) but I don't know that popularity and trendiness has changed.

I should have defrosted some handmade dough I have in the freezer and whipped something up tonight maybe Wednesday or something.
Old 02-07-22, 08:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked 3,311 Times in 2,151 Posts
Hondo has a Little Ceasars and a Dominos and a crummy Pizza Hut. Little Ceasars is the best one here IMO.
Old 02-07-22, 08:12 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 723 Posts
We do homemade pizza two/three times a month. Using a preheated cordierite pizza stone (good for making baguettes too) using pureed fresh tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, sliced shallots and black and green olives, roasted red peppers, fresh mushrooms and when taken out of the oven some basil and shaved parmigiano reggiano on top. One of our favorite meals.
Old 02-07-22, 08:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 661 Posts
It is entirely possible to make really awful Pizza. I had this once in a small seaside town somewhere on the Oregon coast. They used American cheese. It was just God awful.

As well we see no point in making Pizza at home, when I have at least 4 pizza joints within 10-15 minutes of my house whose pizza is better then I'll ever make. I mean we're in NY and it's as good as it gets.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-07-22, 08:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 636 Posts
Condensed version of pizza lecture from me, a New Haven expatriate:

Best in the world---New Haven pizza (Sally's Apizza, The Spot, and Pepe's on Wooster Street; Modern Apizza on State Street).

Correct pronunciation for apizza: a-beetz.

Selected examples of evidence of superiority of New Haven pizza:

My sister married an second-generation Italian native of Brooklyn; he sneered at the idea that New Haven pizza could rival Brooklyn's best. She didn't argue, just brought him to Pepe's for a tomato pie (crust and tomato sauce) and a cheese pie (same, with mozzarella added). He was unable to decide whether it was the tomato pie or the cheese pie that was the best pizza he'd ever had.

Look around: restaurants claiming to specialize in New Haven-style pizza are springing up around the country.

Best-pizza polls: top 20 lists typically have around six New Haven pizza places in the top 10, invariably at the top of the list.

One secret (aside from superior ingredients): wood-fired ovens? Don't make me laugh. Wood has far too much moisture. The top New Haven places all have coal-fired brick ovens. Extremely high heat, no moisture.

Another secret: pie must remain in oven until crust has developed a monomolecular layer of charring. Window of opportunity between perfect and irretrievably burned: about 12 seconds. (The 75-year-old Salvatore D'Amato of Sally's Apizza, when asked in an interview when he was planning to retire and let his 42- and 45-year-old sons take over, said, "Well, the older boy is starting to get a feel for when to take the pie out of the oven.")
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-07-22, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2911 Post(s)
Liked 2,107 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Condensed version of pizza lecture from me, a New Haven expatriate:

Best in the world---New Haven pizza (Sally's Apizza, The Spot, and Pepe's on Wooster Street; Modern Apizza on State Street).

Correct pronunciation for apizza: a-beetz.

Selected examples of evidence of superiority of New Haven pizza:

My sister married an second-generation Italian native of Brooklyn; he sneered at the idea that New Haven pizza could rival Brooklyn's best. She didn't argue, just brought him to Pepe's for a tomato pie (crust and tomato sauce) and a cheese pie (same, with mozzarella added). He was unable to decide whether it was the tomato pie or the cheese pie that was the best pizza he'd ever had.

Look around: restaurants claiming to specialize in New Haven-style pizza are springing up around the country.

Best-pizza polls: top 20 lists typically have around six New Haven pizza places in the top 10, invariably at the top of the list.

One secret (aside from superior ingredients): wood-fired ovens? Don't make me laugh. Wood has far too much moisture. The top New Haven places all have coal-fired brick ovens. Extremely high heat, no moisture.

Another secret: pie must remain in oven until crust has developed a monomolecular layer of charring. Window of opportunity between perfect and irretrievably burned: about 12 seconds. (The 75-year-old Salvatore D'Amato of Sally's Apizza, when asked in an interview when he was planning to retire and let his 42- and 45-year-old sons take over, said, "Well, the older boy is starting to get a feel for when to take the pie out of the oven.")
Minus your mentioning of whatever that Sally's place is, I heard they might make a pizza like thing but I haven't gone to verify. This is correct. Frank Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana/The Spot is the only one and I do mean the original location (they have become a chain and you cannot really replicate a nearly century old coal fired oven) is the best. Though truthfully if I had the opportunity I would try Sally's they haven't gone all chain restaurant yet.
Old 02-07-22, 09:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 406 Posts
This thread prompted me to have pizza for dinner tonight. A local place nearby called Partners makes an excellent pie. They offer a good gluten free one as well.

It were tazty.
Old 02-08-22, 04:04 AM
late

Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post

Best in the world
There are expensive restaurants that serve pizza. Some of those are revelatory.

Shoot for best in the world, after Italy..
Old 02-08-22, 08:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Quoted: 12508 Post(s)
Liked 3,950 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
It is entirely possible to make really awful Pizza. I had this once in a small seaside town somewhere on the Oregon coast. They used American cheese. It was just God awful.

As well we see no point in making Pizza at home, when I have at least 4 pizza joints within 10-15 minutes of my house whose pizza is better then I'll ever make. I mean we're in NY and it's as good as it gets.
I had bad pizza a couple times down in Florida... no respect for the sauce... and I have no idea what it was that they used for cheese. These were two different places located about 20 miles apart. I stopped buying pizza in Florida. (I doubt all of Florida is that way... but why chance it, eh? Wonder if I could have gotten a good pizza in Naples. hmmm)

Just had a nice Margarita Pie over at Nordstroms, of all places... perfect crust... just a touch of char, crispy, thin. Right sauce... with thin sliced tomatoes on top. Just a bit too much cheese, but hey... bada bing.

The funny thing about "best pizza right around the corner" is that it frankly is not "right around the corner" for everyone... and they don't deliver across town, much less across country. So, always a "local issue."

Oh used to get great pizza at the Original Antonio's at Avalon on Sumner. Real hot ovens, with the door always open... great thin crispy crust. Now, ironically, they opened a second place, right on the waterfront... not the same ovens, not the same pizza... So much for "local issue." When you find that perfect Pizza, remember it is due to a multitudes of things coming together just right. Capisce?
Old 02-08-22, 12:51 PM
indyfabz
Banned.

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,153 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I mean we're in NY and it's as good as it gets.
I wish it were easy to get NY style pizza here in Philly.
Old 02-08-22, 03:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2,231 Times in 1,616 Posts
We make pizza at home sometimes.

I make bread a lot, using this 'master recipe' from the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes (as well as a bunch of variations)

For pizza, if I remember, I'll replace 1/4c of the water with olive oil. Makes the dough less sticky, easier to roll out. Pizzas are cooked (just like bread) on a pizza stone. For sauce, it's always a can of Hunt's spaghetti sauce (99c).

I'll divide 1 bucket into quarters to make a 'large' pizza (maybe 14-16in), or divide into 16 for personal-size crusts. With personal, pizza night is a DIY buffet, everybody assembles just the way they like it.

For personal-size, I'll make 2 buckets for 32 crusts, par-bake each one 3min and stick them all in the freezer, for more convenient eating whenever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.