Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Planning my first (only?) Super Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 08:51 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Planning my first (only?) Super Ride

I’ve been wanting to do a long distance ride for some time and it looks like I’m going to launch in late April. It will first and foremost be a 24hr solo ride supported by the wife with a secondary goal of hitting 300 miles.
My route will utilize US95 through Nevada starting in Fallon and hopefully getting close to Pahrump by the next morning. I chose this route as there is an elevation drop of 1300’ + over the course with annual prevailing winds behind me.
At 61 this won’t be easy but it will be an interesting challenge. I’m getting to that age that if I don’t do it now, it won’t happen. As I can’t know exact road conditions I’ll be bringing my 2006 carbon Wilier Imperiale on 25c Michelin Power Trials and my 2008 Orbea Terra on 32c GP5000’s. I guess the rest is up to me !
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-15-22, 09:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
FWIW, I think it's mentally easier to ride a target distance than a target time.

When riding a target distance, the faster you go the sooner you're done. That's incentive, to me, to keep pushing on.

As opposed to... it's 12 more hours no matter how slow or fast I go. Ug.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-16-22, 09:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I am not familiar with the area, is your area full of goat head thorns?

Several friends of mine rode Southern Tier a few years ago (pre-covid) and one guy rode his road bike with skinny tires. He said that out west in thorn country, he had up to seven flats in one day from thorns. One guy rode his touring bike with lots of puncture protection, he had a total of four flats from west coast to east coast.
Old 03-01-22, 11:03 AM
SAScott

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 105 (with rim brakes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
God bless you on your endurance ride! 300 miles would be amazing.

I’m also dreaming of an endurance ride, but I’m not even thinking 300 yet. It’s been a lot of years since I rode a 50 mile ride. I want to get that done by end of this year. Then, I raise the goal to 100 miles.

I also would be riding in the desert southwest, so goatheads are a reality.

I’m 59 and dealing with cardio issues. So I don’t race. I aim to get my heart rate going to about 115-120 and accept whatever the pace turns out to be. (Sometimes I “cheat” and get the pulse to 130 for a time.) I like it this way. I feel like I can relax and enjoy the scenery, the perspiration, etc. I actually enjoy doing hard things!

Please be sure to update us as you train and with results of your 300 mile ride!