Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.

Old 05-14-22, 11:12 AM
  #1  
CheGiantForLife
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.

Ok, so I did a one mile ride to go do sprints on the local soccer field
I really love this short little ride, and would like to incorporate it into my daily fitness.

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.
2-6%. 0.2 miles. Average 3%

I love it. It's not insane, and just hard enough to get the heart pumping.
And not painful enough to scare me from doing it. Just a pleasant little 2 min. hill.

I want to ride this hill every morning to start my day.
Maybe I will build up to riding up and down the hill like 10 times
I can see how people get sucked in to see how far you can push your body.

EDIT:Ok, I did the up/down hill on my road for 5 laps (10 total hills)
No flat. Either up 5% or down 5% grade the entire time.
Total ride was 30 mins. 5 miles total.
Was a good workout. Will do this again.

Last edited by CheGiantForLife; 05-25-22 at 06:06 PM.
CheGiantForLife is offline  
Likes For CheGiantForLife:
Old 05-14-22, 03:41 PM
  #2  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
I have a hill like that, but it's about 2 miles. I like to include that in a lot of my rides. But I don't do laps on it though. Once per ride is good for me. Definitely gets the blood flowing.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 05:01 PM
  #3  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,249

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife View Post
Ok, so I did a one mile ride to go do sprints on the local soccer field
I really love this short little ride, and would like to incorporate it into my daily fitness.

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.
2-6%. 0.2 miles. Average 3%

I love it. It's not insane, and just hard enough to get the heart pumping.
And not painful enough to scare me from doing it. Just a pleasant little 2 min. hill.

I want to ride this hill every morning to start my day.
Maybe I will build up to riding up and down the hill like 10 times
I can see hoe people get sucked in to see how far you can push your body.
Eventually you realize it's the mind you're pushing, not the body. The body just goes along for the ride.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-14-22, 08:13 PM
  #4  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Eventually you realize it's the mind you're pushing, not the body. The body just goes along for the ride.
Several people have asked me about triathlons and how I do them. My standard reply is it's 50% physical, but 100% psychological. Your mind will quit long before your body will.
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-14-22, 08:58 PM
  #5  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,014 Posts
Just wait when you are so fit that you can climb the entire hill out of the saddle in half the time.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Old 05-14-22, 09:57 PM
  #6  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,037

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 279 Posts
Your reward is that on the return trip, you get to coast down the same hill.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 07:30 AM
  #7  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked 1,812 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife View Post
I can see hoe people get sucked in to see how far you can push your body.
Before you know it you find yourself climbing mountains. Just because you can.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 10:30 AM
  #8  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,537

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,235 Posts
I have a select few climbs that I treat myself too in similar interests. Fattest excuses for me not riding them are: the density for motorized traffic {5:30am to 8pm} , posted [50] , abided by speed [60+] , location (not really local) ,& driver's cognizance.

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Several people have asked me about triathlons and how I do them. My standard reply is it's 50% physical, but 100% psychological. Your mind will quit long before your body will.
It makes sense now. In the past, so many folks in this world must have been very active in such activities, because so many have lost there minds!
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 10:47 AM
  #9  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,237

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 482 Posts
My daily 10 mile rides are short Ups and Downs. I don't pedal going Down cause I am concentrating on staying on the bike from lack of breath.

So really my rides are only 5 miles.... Ha
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Likes For zandoval:
Old 05-15-22, 03:06 PM
  #10  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 12,926

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 1,031 Posts
Our local well-known climb is called “the Costco hill,” which is 400-500 feet depending on where you start. People do repeats on the steepest part which is 250 feet in half a mile with no major intersections for the turnaround. Whew!
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 05-15-22, 05:04 PM
  #11  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Stone Mountain, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 1,150

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
...& driver's cognizance.
Hold on, you have cognizant drivers in Michigan?!

I'm living in the wrong state!
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 06:33 PM
  #12  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Our local well-known climb is called “the Costco hill,” which is 400-500 feet depending on where you start. People do repeats on the steepest part which is 250 feet in half a mile with no major intersections for the turnaround. Whew!
There's a portion of trail in Henderson (Nevada) called "the Three Sisters". Absolutely brutal. In just about 3/4 of a mile it's right at 200ft of total elevation, but that's up and down several hills. The steepest averages 18% for about 100ft elevation increase in just about .2 miles.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 07:44 PM
  #13  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 7,451 Times in 3,234 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
There's a portion of trail in Henderson (Nevada) called "the Three Sisters". Absolutely brutal. In just about 3/4 of a mile it's right at 200ft of total elevation, but that's up and down several hills. The steepest averages 18% for about 100ft elevation increase in just about .2 miles.
+100 ft in .2 miles is under 10% avg grade.

Math.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 08:00 PM
  #14  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
+100 ft in .2 miles is under 10% avg grade.

Math.
Dude, do you live to pick nits? I'm using round numbers here. Shall I give you coordinates so you can do the math yourself? Would that make you feel better?
VegasJen is offline  
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-15-22, 08:19 PM
  #15  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,895
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15954 Post(s)
Liked 3,285 Times in 2,441 Posts
I've got one.

0.44 miles, average 5.5%.

So I created a Strava segment out of it.

My fastest time is 2:01, for 13.2 MPH.

Then someone came along and did it at 1:51 and 14.4 MPH. A couple of years I was chasing that down.

Now, the KOM is 1:25 at 18.8 MPH. I can do 20+ MPH for a short time, but whew, not up a hill like that, even if it is short.

Although, I suppose I've determined that if I can get a segment pushed below 1 minute, then it can be done essentially purely anaerobic sprint.
CliffordK is online now  
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-15-22, 09:04 PM
  #16  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 12,926

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Dude, do you live to pick nits? I'm using round numbers here. Shall I give you coordinates so you can do the math yourself? Would that make you feel better?
exactly why I didn’t post anything about grade. Lol. The Costco hill has a really steep part but I don’t know what the grade is. I do know the local light rail has one of the steepest railroad grades in the country at the Sunrise overpass…
Darth Lefty is online now  
Old 05-15-22, 09:17 PM
  #17  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 7,451 Times in 3,234 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
+100 ft in .2 miles is under 10% avg grade.

Math.
Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Dude, do you live to pick nits? I'm using round numbers here. Shall I give you coordinates so you can do the math yourself? Would that make you feel better?
It's not hard to find. And it looks like the grade maxes out at 5.6% -- which is less than 1/3rd of 18%. Is that nitpicking?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 10:20 PM
  #18  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 10:32 PM
  #19  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
So I'm off by 1%. Sue me.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 07:26 AM
  #20  
AlgarveCycling
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I did this on Saturday, the iconic Koppenberg climb in Flanders, Belgium. It is relatively easy really in ideal conditions to do it, but the cobbles make it hard going if trying to push for a good time. After a 200km race and other such cobbled climbs, it gets its reputation as a tough finish for the Tour of Flanders; particularly if it is wet.

Locally where I live, we have steeper, much longer climbs but they aren't part of a famous race route.





AlgarveCycling is offline  
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 05-16-22, 06:08 PM
  #21  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,237

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling View Post
...such cobbled climbs, it gets its reputation as a tough finish...

Looks like a real killer... But absolutely beautiful...
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 06:29 PM
  #22  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,730

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Our local well-known climb is called “the Costco hill,” which is 400-500 feet depending on where you start. People do repeats on the steepest part which is 250 feet in half a mile with no major intersections for the turnaround. Whew!
I know it well! https://www.strava.com/segments/675410

Beatty Drive (about 4 miles north on Empire Ranch/Sophia) is even more brutal. https://www.strava.com/segments/1425516
caloso is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 06:35 PM
  #23  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,730

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked 2,915 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling View Post
I did this on Saturday, the iconic Koppenberg climb in Flanders, Belgium. It is relatively easy really in ideal conditions to do it, but the cobbles make it hard going if trying to push for a good time. After a 200km race and other such cobbled climbs, it gets its reputation as a tough finish for the Tour of Flanders; particularly if it is wet.

Locally where I live, we have steeper, much longer climbs but they aren't part of a famous race route.





Iconic!
caloso is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 06:59 PM
  #24  
VegasJen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling View Post
I did this on Saturday, the iconic Koppenberg climb in Flanders, Belgium. It is relatively easy really in ideal conditions to do it, but the cobbles make it hard going if trying to push for a good time. After a 200km race and other such cobbled climbs, it gets its reputation as a tough finish for the Tour of Flanders; particularly if it is wet.

Locally where I live, we have steeper, much longer climbs but they aren't part of a famous race route.





Awesome pic, but no way I want to do that road. Looks like it would rattle the fillings out of my teeth.
VegasJen is offline  
Old 05-16-22, 07:06 PM
  #25  
Bald Paul
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 832 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've got one.

0.44 miles, average 5.5%.

So I created a Strava segment out of it.

My fastest time is 2:01, for 13.2 MPH.

Then someone came along and did it at 1:51 and 14.4 MPH. A couple of years I was chasing that down.

Now, the KOM is 1:25 at 18.8 MPH. I can do 20+ MPH for a short time, but whew, not up a hill like that, even if it is short.

Although, I suppose I've determined that if I can get a segment pushed below 1 minute, then it can be done essentially purely anaerobic sprint.
Strava needs to develop some way to identify those on e-bikes.
Bald Paul is offline  
Likes For Bald Paul:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.