Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Favorite running shoes?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Favorite running shoes?

Old 05-30-22, 07:08 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Favorite running shoes?

After a looong hiatus, cough 7 years, and warmer temps, wanted to get back into running for fitness (nothing major, just 1-3 mile runs + walking at a time). Went to a running store and tried on a few different brands (they also had a 3d foot scanner that was helpful) and got the On Cloudstratus. I find it pretty solid and firm, especially with special insoles. Some shoes seemed so sloppy (Nike Pegasus for example) I thought I would sprain an ankle walking on those things. What I also noticed this time around is that there are a TON of brands out now. I was kind of floored since I thought Nike, New Balance, Asics were pretty much the main brands, but nope.

I can see people going ham trying different brands/styles each time they get a new pair of running shoes. Seems like the On brand is relatively new. I am curious about the New Balance 1080s and perhaps trying a Brooks in the future. What's the rep on what's good nowadays? I was using a cheapy $50 pair of NBs before this, so a better running shoe is kind of revolutionary to me LOL.
Old 05-30-22, 08:31 PM
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 482 Posts
Long story short... Brooks

I have been wearing Brooks for the last ten years or so (probably 15 to 20 pair). My first pair was a pair of Ravenna 5s and I wore that model until they quit making them except for a period I wore Brooks Neuros which I loved even though they looked odd. After the Ravenna name was discontinued, I tried Brooks Launch GTS (the suggested Ravenna replacement) which I think contributed to a minor injury. Now I wear Brooks Adrenalin and love them. I was always able to switch to a new pair of Brooks without any break-in period except for the Launch. I run two half marathons a year and am largely injury free except for a couple of minor issues. I've not ran a full marathon in about five years, but I'm seriously considering another one in the November a couple of weeks after my fall half marathon. I'll probably buy a new pair of Adrenalins before training starts for that.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-30-22, 09:13 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 253 Posts
Mizuno Wave Rider. Been running in them for years. Solid shoe. Nicely priced. Great neutral shoe.
Old 05-30-22, 09:36 PM
mschwett 
please no more flats

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 277 Posts
i can't/don't run anymore, but back when i did ... asics metarun was my favorite ever. before that, various flavors of the gel kayano. the right shoe is SO important for running. i got terrible stress fractures in both shins doing basically everything wrong, but shoes most of all.
Old 05-31-22, 07:25 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 4967 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 585 Posts
I don't like Nike, don't like the company, don't like the marketing, don't like the brand and don't like the swoosh. But my feet don't do such considerations and there's something about them they like. Not just running shoes, I've been playing soccer and futsal on Nikes for decades too. I get the impression some manufacturers stay true to some kind of shape that either fits you or not. .
Old 05-31-22, 07:28 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 407 Posts
I'll put a different spin on this topic by listing my least-favorite, and that's Nike. Their shoe models all seem to be built on a really narrow mold. All the rest of the brands fit fine in the basic 'medium' width, its just Nike that's the odd-man-out. I currently have both Asics and New Balance shoes but have used Hoka and Adidas in the recent past with no issues.
Old 05-31-22, 12:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17615 Post(s)
Liked 9,527 Times in 5,376 Posts
New Balance 840v4 and Hoka Bondi 7.
Old 05-31-22, 03:19 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 727 Posts
Nike’s ZoomX Vaporfly Next 2 works really well for me, especially on long runs. Lightweight and what i really like, the propulsion feel, excellent cushioning and quality. Expensive though so for just the occasional casual runner maybe not the best...
Old 05-31-22, 07:52 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 188 Posts
Brooks is also my current brand. They're a little more squishy than I wanted (though more-minimalist shoes probably were at a higher price point than I was looking to pay), and they're ugly as sin, but they make me understand that perhaps spending my whole life with my heels sliding around in shoes maybe isn't everyone's "normal" experience... I think they might be the first pair of shoes I've ever owned that actually fit my heel. (I have quite narrow feet, especially narrow heels.)

I wouldn't be closed to being fitted into something else next time, but I'd certainly also be fine with buying Brooks again-- though maybe next time I'll ask if they come/can be ordered in more colors! (I've long considered the possibility that these might have an "accident" involving a bucket of black Rit dye...) I tend to prefer a more minimalist shoe in most situations, but I don't run as much as I used to (which was never that much to begin with) so it's hard to compare to how I used to run, and I don't know how my feet would fare in more-minimalist shoes or in the ones I have if I was still doing 12-15 miles a week.

(I can't say my feet are that picky about what I run in, though. My first "running" shoes were a pair of Filas I got at a discount store and liked the look of-- I don't think they're even running shoes. I ran those into the ground without much issue. I also have little issue running in a pair of New Balance Minimus that I have, though I am not sure if I've ever tried any sort of distance above a couple miles in those (they're usually my gym shoes).)

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
I don't like Nike, don't like the company, don't like the marketing, don't like the brand and don't like the swoosh. But my feet don't do such considerations and there's something about them they like. Not just running shoes, I've been playing soccer and futsal on Nikes for decades too. I get the impression some manufacturers stay true to some kind of shape that either fits you or not. .
I sort of feel that way about Adidas. Not that I own many Adidas shoes, but I think I've liked the ones I've tried on before, and I have a pair of Adidas soccer shoes that felt "right" as soon as I put them on, like they belonged on my feet.

I think that's true, though. Asics are said to be good for wide feet, I think I've heard New Balance are okay for narrower, etc. I'm guessing Brooks are good for narrow since they're "my" brand. I have Teva sandals I can walk for miles in (and have). I'm used to the concept of certain figure skate or dance shoe brands being better for certain shaped feet, so I don't know why athletic shoes wouldn't be the same way.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 05-31-22, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2913 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,398 Posts
"Real gansta ass ninja's don't run for shiz because real gansta ass ninja's don't run fast" - Geto Boys

Though my favorites are Brooks, they have been my daily wear for years now and have no interest in swapping.

Adidas are cool only because they did a Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy edition but sadly they don't fit my feet but I am just going to keep them NIB and maybe resell them down the road or just enjoy them.
Old 06-02-22, 01:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,577 Posts
I have narrow feet with high arches, which limits my choice of running shoes. Nike, Brooks and many others are much too wide and overlap cinched down enough to keep my feet from flopping around. Even with shoes that fit my width I often need to replace the insoles with ProFoot Miracles.

Same problem with the Atreyu, which is very lightweight and the sole was good. But much too wide and no amount of fiddling with fit helps make it suitable for running with my feet. I've retired, those to walking and bicycling after about 75 miles. A UK based runner and shoe reviewer described the Atreyu as like a plimsole -- basically, like a Keds gym shoe -- and I can't argue with that. The Atreyu sole and insole were better than Keds, Converse or similar canvas gym shoes, but pretty similar overall.

So, usually Adidas. They fit well. Boost is being phased out of their running shoes but I still like my Solar Boost and Prime Knit Boost. But the SL20 have been good after about 25 miles to break in the foam, which felt wooden and harsh at first. The good thing about Boost is it feels the same from day one until the shoe is worn out. And Boost running and fashion shoes are great for folks with bad feet, knees, hips, etc. Most of my Adidas running and walking shoes have about 100-300 miles, and plenty more wear.

I liked Under Armor Hovr Sonics but nothing else they've made. And over the past year or so it appears UA has mostly phased out any serious running shoes and has gone fully toward fashion kicks that look like running shoes, but aren't. I have more than 450 miles in one pair of Hovr Sonic 2, and have mostly retired those to walking and jogging. My pair of original Hovr Sonic 1 have about 200 miles, still plenty of wear.

The only other shoe I've tried that I liked in the store was the Saucony Endophin Speed. Great fit, the foam felt great immediately, and I could feel a slight bounce from the embedded plate (not carbon fiber, I think it's fiberglass, nylon or plastic, dunno). I'm a cheapskate and usually buy shoes at Ross and Marshalls for $20-$30, so the $160 price for the Saucony Endorphin Speed was a deterrent, but it's recently dropped under $100. So, maybe...
Old 06-02-22, 06:41 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 511 Posts
I didn't have running shoes, but I insist that my sneakers are the sneakiest
Old 06-02-22, 09:08 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Great recs. I think it's fascinating every company has their own type of "technology". I have been pretty pleased with the On brand CloudTec that they offer. I tried the new shoe with my old cheapy new balance 500 series shoe (one on each foot to compare), and the pain in my one knee was almost unnoticeable with the Cloudstratus shoe that they advertise as max cushion. Really makes a difference. Pretty sure my feet over-pronate when running so that may limit future types of shoes if they are meant for narrow feet or high arches.
Old 06-03-22, 10:40 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 1,105 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M View Post
Long story short... Brooks

I have been wearing Brooks for the last ten years or so (probably 15 to 20 pair). My first pair was a pair of Ravenna 5s and I wore that model until they quit making them except for a period I wore Brooks Neuros which I loved even though they looked odd. After the Ravenna name was discontinued, I tried Brooks Launch GTS (the suggested Ravenna replacement) which I think contributed to a minor injury. Now I wear Brooks Adrenalin and love them. I was always able to switch to a new pair of Brooks without any break-in period except for the Launch. I run two half marathons a year and am largely injury free except for a couple of minor issues. I've not ran a full marathon in about five years, but I'm seriously considering another one in the November a couple of weeks after my fall half marathon. I'll probably buy a new pair of Adrenalins before training starts for that.
I like Brooks Adrenalin's too, and they have the coolest shoe box

"Inclusion" theme

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-08-22, 04:17 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Nike’s ZoomX Vaporfly Next 2 works really well for me, especially on long runs. Lightweight and what i really like, the propulsion feel, excellent cushioning and quality. Expensive though so for just the occasional casual runner maybe not the best...
Are those pretty solid for just daily training shoes? I know people typically use them for marathons/halfs etc. but I was reading people commenting on that specific shoe saying if they could train in them daily, people would! I am REALLY curious to eventually feel how the carbon fiber plate works while running.

There is also a sale on Nike where the men's version has one style going for 184 bucks, which seems like a steal.
Old 06-08-22, 07:35 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
Are those pretty solid for just daily training shoes? I know people typically use them for marathons/halfs etc. but I was reading people commenting on that specific shoe saying if they could train in them daily, people would! I am REALLY curious to eventually feel how the carbon fiber plate works while running. There is also a sale on Nike where the men's version has one style going for 184 bucks, which seems like a steal.
They are designed for longer, faster runs on pavement and even on a treadmill, both are when I really like and wear them. The carbon fiber plate’s design gives an excellent propelling you forward and stability feel for especially fast repeated impacts and the designed proprietary foam helps in comfort and the return of energy to your bounce. They also work well for doing fast walking and makes me more comfortable doing that too. Try a men's pair on, if they fit really well, (my women's do) the design will help you if you start doing faster long runs with the benefit of getting a really good workout! For just short daily/weekly exercise runs you could save money with a better suited shoe for that like the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus or some of the other ones posted about in this thread.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 06-08-22 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 11:27 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
They are designed for longer, faster runs on pavement and even on a treadmill, both are when I really like and wear them. The carbon fiber plate’s design gives an excellent propelling you forward and stability feel for especially fast repeated impacts and the designed proprietary foam helps in comfort and the return of energy to your bounce. They also work well for doing fast walking and makes me more comfortable doing that too. Try a men's pair on, if they fit really well, (my women's do) the design will help you if you start doing faster long runs with the benefit of getting a really good workout! For just short daily/weekly exercise runs you could save money with a better suited shoe for that like the Nike Air Zoom Pegasus or some of the other ones posted about in this thread.
I have the Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 arriving today (nylon plated) that I obtained for $70 total, which was a huge sale and also secured the Saucony Endorphin Pro (carbon plated) also obtained on super sale a few days ago. Can't wait to see how these bad boys feel out running (no time yet). I think the shoes that feel more rockered near the front end are going to be a favorite. Have you tried the Nike Invincibles yet? They look so squishy that they are also on my to-get list.

Old 06-16-22, 12:50 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 60 Posts
Mizuno wave prophecy. Awesome shoes but a bit pricey. Good for going straight on paved roads, not soo good for trails.
Old 06-16-22, 01:04 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 407 Posts
Run? What is that?

Lol, I haven't been able to actually run since 2007. At this point, even with a bear, I would just lay down and hope it thinks me dead.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-16-22, 08:04 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow View Post
Mizuno wave prophecy. Awesome shoes but a bit pricey. Good for going straight on paved roads, not soo good for trails.
Hmm they must not make them anymore or at least not sold in US anymore? Interesting design!
Old 06-17-22, 04:15 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
Hmm they must not make them anymore or at least not sold in US anymore? Interesting design!
guess not, they were always on the rarer side. Last pair I bought was 2017 it seems. They got some nos on Amazon from the looks of it. Gonna have to scoop me an extra to throw in storage if they aren't making em anymore.

Last edited by DonkeyShow; 06-27-22 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-17-22, 11:59 AM
DMC707
Banned.

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 587 Posts
Brooks
Old 06-18-22, 01:50 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 188 Posts
Are there other brands similar in fit to Brooks? AFAICT, it looks like all of their offerings are fairly squishy, and I don't know that that's what I want (in fact I'm pretty sure it's not what I want) for my next pair...
Old 06-18-22, 02:59 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 439 Posts
I've always just bought cheap shoes for around $25-30. I watch a lot of running sites on Youtube and I've seen all the shoe reviews and have heard about how important shoes are....but my feet are fine. Maybe if my feet start to breakdown, I'll breakdown and buy some more expensive shoes (see what I did there).

The most expensive shoes I've bought were my last pair of Asics Jolt 2 for ~$40. I also wear the shoes until they're completely dead and falling apart.

BTW, I'm, afraid if I were to buy some expensive shoes, I'd become hooked and never go back -- at least I do wonder about that possibility.

Old 06-18-22, 03:11 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Lol, I haven't been able to actually run since 2007. At this point, even with a bear, I would just lay down and hope it thinks me dead.
A little trivia...

If you're attacked by a Grizzly/Brown bear, most likely it's because it's protecting its young, food source or you startled it.

If you're attacked by a black bear (which is very rare), it's most likely because its exhibiting predatory behavior. It's a myth that momma black bears protect their young from humans, they all just climb a tree.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...ks/2011/05/11/

Moral of the story: If you're attacked by a black bear, fight back, don't run, fight. If you're attacked by a Brown/Grizzly bear, play dead. If you're attacked by a polar bear...kiss your ass goodbye

BTW, I did once get between a black bear mama and her cubs, they were all within 30-ft of me when I walked up to them unexpectedly. They all went up two separate trees. I was directly between one of the cubs and the mother (she had 3 cubs total).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.