Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

What is your hobby?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

What is your hobby?

Old 06-09-22, 05:34 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 406 Posts
What is your hobby?

I have a new neighbor. Seems to be a nice fellow. He has been employed as LEO for the past 25+ years and came home (from Seattle) to stay near family for a while. He drove out from WA along with a friend of his who is retired Air Force. Fascinating guy to speak with, who asks me "What is your hobby?"

I had to stop a bit and think about it and could only mention hobbies that I have had, not so much as being active in them now. It was rather weird that I didn't have anything come straight to mind.

...is posting on a forum a hobby?
Old 06-09-22, 06:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 474 Posts
I am just wondering who would have just one hobby?

I would probably have replied... "Aspiring to be a jack of all trades..."
Old 06-10-22, 01:01 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 162 Posts
I've played guitar as a hobby for years. But I just got a wooden ship model in the mail, and hope to put it together. The instruction book says it should take about 380 hours to complete.
Old 06-10-22, 10:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 657 Posts
Listening to audio books while riding my bicycle for pleasure and local transportation.
Old 06-10-22, 10:30 AM
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 469 Posts
I don't ever seem to think of any of my current activities as hobbies. Past activities though I seem to put in that category.

Old 06-10-22, 11:00 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
I just got a wooden ship model in the mail, and hope to put it together. The instruction book says it should take about 380 hours to complete.
That is over 47 days at full time work hours. That thing must be insanely intricate.

I used to enjoy building model airplanes, particularly. I had my bedroom decorated with them hanging from the ceiling off fishing line for years (as a young man). I later on moved on to cars and just didn't like that as much as I did wrenching on the real thing...mostly out of necessity.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 06-10-22 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-10-22, 11:11 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post

...mostly out of necessity.

Ha.... Yep, I got that one for sure!
Old 06-10-22, 11:23 AM
base2 
Doesn't brain good.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 450 Posts
Ham radio, Zwift, and Bike Forums mostly for me. But only if you count Bike Forums as mostly sitting & idly reading. "Interneting" doesn't have much of a ring to it. Lots of people sit & read. Reading is a hobby, right? It sounds so much better than sitting & whiling away boredom.

Sometimes I ride my bike in the actual "outside." TBH: I spend a lot more time tinkering over nothings. Even if it is a lot less fun. Explain that.

Last edited by base2; 06-10-22 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-10-22, 11:25 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 1,145 Times in 651 Posts
Well, if you are on bikeforums, I'd guess riding?
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-10-22, 11:26 AM
DMC707
Banned.

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 587 Posts
If bicycles are out of the equation im guessing? Anyone posting on these boards has that in common

Home improvement ! --- before pic -- expanding my back patio area to haave more landscaping space plus a courtyard --- it sloped so much i had to bring the level up about a foot in most places, then laid a 2" bed of gravel plus a thin layer of sand

It currently resembles a beach back there while i formulate my strategy for the next steps (was going to go pavers on it, but bit off more than i could chew there, and now looking at nice and tasteful ways to pretty it up without spending 15k)

I guess my critters are a hobby -- tried to trim the big ones hooves yesterday and it turned into a wrestling match for an hour -- and i only got the fronts done -- pigs are strong, even the miniature variety

As babies --- the white one now weighs about 150 and the black one perhaps 60ish

I also dabble with small woodworking projects -- these are cedar birdhouses i made for my mom and girlfriend for Mothers Day

Im guessing working out falls in line with cycling as something that is more "Lifestyle" than hobby --- but part ot the hobby aspect was tricking out my weight room - so kind of falls under the Home Improvement venue

Occasional motorcycling - either dirt or street, but with a strong preference for dirt - but the old Kaw will be a modest clean up and restoration project soon -- its a "20 footer" but up close is showing the effects of 43 years of occasional motoring

In addition to those things

I really enjoy watches and have a modest collection

I own a couple of vintage motocross bikes -- one is race ready, while the other is awaiting restoration - so , hobbies in waiting -

HAve a couple of vintage pickups (69 GMC and 71 Chevrolet) - that i enjoy , but am not that aggressive at turning wrenches on them yet - so also hobbies in waiting

So since i am 50y/o, i likely have enough between all this and cycling to keep me busy another 30-35 years

Last edited by DMC707; 06-10-22 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-10-22, 11:51 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Well, if you are on bikeforums, I'd guess riding?

One might think that as a logical conclusion. In practice, it's likely about half true (at least for me anymore).
Old 06-10-22, 11:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
I

My first "real" motorcycle was a KZ750. I was at a tire shop getting new tires and a fellow and I got to talking about it. He purchased it brand new, had the "Vetter" front fairing on it. He was out hooning around on it and crashed it while doing stunts and never touched it again. It was leaned against the back of his house and had less than 1500 miles on it. One of the first years they swapped off points. I brought it home turned sideways in the back of a borrowed station wagon. My mother didn't talk to me for months. I am exceptionally lucky that I didn't get killed on the thing. SUPER powerful and fast for it's time.
Some months later a buddy of mine picked up an almost free LTD 500 that was a really nice bike.

Great memory flashback, thanks!
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-10-22, 12:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3064 Post(s)
Liked 3,294 Times in 2,137 Posts
Collecting smashed frogs and toads that have dried in the sun off the road.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-10-22, 02:02 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 (primary ride),'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 58 Posts
I jokingly say that I collect hobbies. I do something for a while then move on. I never give up on the old ones, just add them to the cycle and get back to them seemingly at random.

kayaking, kayak building, ham radio, flying, cycling, motorcycling, things that go bang, camping, hiking, bushcraft, knife making, knife sharpening, raising egg birds, raising meat birds, soap making, baking (on indefinite hold now that I'm keto), wood working, etc

This is in *no* way an inclusive list. Just off the top of my head things

EDIT - I can't believe I didn't mention leather working... the kitchen table is covered in unfinished items like dog leashes lol

Last edited by Bearhawker; 06-12-22 at 04:03 PM. Reason: memory issues
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 06-10-22, 04:10 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Bearhawker View Post
I jokingly say that I collect hobbies. I do something for a while then move on. I never give up on the old ones, just add them to the cycle and get back to them seemingly at random.

kayaking, kayak building, ham radio, flying, cycling, motorcycling, things that go bang, camping, hiking, bushcraft, knife making, knife sharpening, raising egg birds, raising meat birds, soap making, baking (on indefinite hold now that I'm keto), wood working, etc

This is in *no* way an inclusive list. Just off the top of my head things
I share a few of those in common with you. I was doing sub gun-tri gun shoots before ammunition went sky high. I collect knives, nothing special or expensive, just stuff that catches my eye. Motorcyling led to the accident that makes where I don't care so much for camping any longer....and I have made some homemade soap a time or two. I do mine with sandlewood. Thanks for playing along.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-10-22, 09:33 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Ok I will fess up I love bird watching. I turn on the sprinkler that fills up the bird bath. They love the sprinkler in this hot weather and the bird seed feeders. I get out my bird book to identify the different birds. I use to make fun of bird watchers now I am one of them lol.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-10-22, 11:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 17554 Post(s)
Liked 9,474 Times in 5,339 Posts
I don't think of the things I do as hobbies. Hiking, cycling, kitteneering.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-10-22, 11:29 PM
DMC707
Banned.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I don't think of the things I do as hobbies. Hiking, cycling, kitteneering.

explain kitteneering (
serious - my kitty Zoey was my best friend until she passed— my human sensitivity- now my little rescue dog Grace tries her best )
Old 06-10-22, 11:34 PM
DMC707
Banned.

Zoey cat
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-10-22, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
explain kitteneering (
serious - my kitty Zoey was my best friend until she passed— my human sensitivity- now my little rescue dog Grace tries her best )
Well this small, young cat has been coming to my back door looking sad and pathetic. I've been feeding her, she'd hiss and growl at me while I brought her food, never let me within 5 or 10 feet. But she kept coming back looking hungry and she's tiny. One day she decided we could be friends, a few weeks later it looked like she swallowed a basketball. Seven kittens came out in January, the neighbor and I have been raising them and watching them grow up. We gave three away, I'm keeping two and my neighbor is keeping two and the mother who's now spayed. She works in an office and I get to WFH so I work from her house surrounded by four kittens from 9 to 5.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-11-22, 09:36 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I work from her house surrounded by four kittens from 9 to 5.
"Dear boss. I request a new job perk..."

(I have only one kitten as a coworker on my work-from-home days, but he's a 15-pounder, so I'm guessing I technically have as much cat around as you do, probably more...)
Old 06-11-22, 10:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
"Dear boss. I request a new job perk..."

(I have only one kitten as a coworker on my work-from-home days, but he's a 15-pounder, so I'm guessing I technically have as much cat around as you do, probably more...)
Momma cat is 8 pounds, she's the smallest adult cat I've ever seen. The four kittens range from 5.5 to 7 pounds, they're almost as big as her! I hope the tiny one is forever tiny and extra cute, she's going to live inside and not go out so she doesn't need size.

These kittens have learned that laptops are warm, so they help me work and my coworkers are used to seeing them when I turn the camera on in meetings.
Old 06-12-22, 11:50 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 187 Posts
Awww! I never see-- or at least have-- adult cats that small, either. Usually they're all at least 10 pounds.

I don't have a camera, so nobody gets to see my "furssistant," but he does come sit on my lap sometimes during a meeting. I tell myself it's for moral support.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 06-12-22, 07:32 PM
DesmoDog

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
My username should be a clue. Mostly dogs ad a certain brand of Italian motorcycles. And guitars, though I haven't picked one up in ages.
Old 06-12-22, 09:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Surf Fishing is almost a sport. Slinging a 13 foot long distance casting or spinning rod is a workout. Then if something big hits the workout is just beginning . The adrenaline rush of landing a bull redfish or a large jackfish is addicting. I once landed a 6 foot 100 pound bull shark from the beach now that was an awesome natural buzz.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.