Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I spent half a day trying to get $32.88 back from the state of Texas

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 06-23-22, 12:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 271 Posts

So, here's what happened. Here in the DFW area there are a lot of toll roads that use TollTag transponders instead of toll booths. You set up an online account where a cash balance is maintained via automatic credit card withdrawals to cover the cost of tolls. You initially start the account with $40, and then when it drops below a certain level the toll authority (NTTA) will replenish it. So, there is always a cash balance in the account. Anyways, I used to use the toll roads a lot, but in recent years I have stopped doing so, such that the NTTA decided to close my account without informing me. I discovered this when I tried to log in to my account and was told that my account was closed and that I should contact customer service. So, I called customer service and was told that I would have to set up a new account and request new TollTags, since the old ones had been deactivated. But what about the cash balance that remained in the old closed account; surely the NTTA would send me a refund, right ? WRONG !!!! Nope, the NTTA sent my remaining funds to the Texas State Comptroller, Unclaimed Property Department, and I would have to file a claim to recover my money. First I had to call the Comptroller's office and request a claim number; then have them send me some forms, then fill out the forms including copies of my Social Security card and Driver's License, and then either upload them to their website for submittal or mail to them directly. All this to recover a lousy $32.88 that the dumb potluckers could have just as simply refunded directly. Incredible !

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-23-22, 12:52 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3065 Post(s)
Liked 3,296 Times in 2,139 Posts
Please Hold. Your call is very important to us.
Old 06-23-22, 01:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 731 Posts
The day I scraped the tolltag off my car was a very happy day.
Old 06-23-22, 01:15 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12486 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,724 Posts
So half a day... worked out to what, $8,22 an hour... Texas min wage is still only $7.25 a hour... you made out like a bandit.

Of course... it was your money to start with... but when has that ever stopped government?
Old 06-23-22, 04:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 406 Posts
This complete waste of time was made possible by your lack of attention. Normally I would mention principles and such things as that, fighting the good fight and all. If you didn't have need of the toll thingy you should have dealt with it promptly. You did your time in purgatory at this point, so absolved. Treat it as a lesson.
Old 06-23-22, 04:26 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
This complete waste of time was made possible by your lack of attention. Normally I would mention principles and such things as that, fighting the good fight and all. If you didn't have need of the toll thingy you should have dealt with it promptly. You did your time in purgatory at this point, so absolved. Treat it as a lesson.
You know, that scolding only counts if the user was told up front that the "toll thingy" was going to expire at some point and the monies were then going to be absorbed by the state... I wonder just how fine the print was for that little "feature."

Seems to me the nice thing to do would have been for the state to notify the user via email or text... rather than just take another bite out of the credit card... then the user could simply acknowledge that they wished to extend their "toll thingy" or cancel it... all of which could have been automated. Instead they just "tipped the till" into the state coffers.

I wonder what happens if the credit card has been canceled... does the state just heap on fines every time the user goes through a toll booth? Just another "screw you" to the consumer.
Old 06-23-22, 05:13 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
You know, that scolding only counts if the user was told up front that the "toll thingy" was going to expire at some point and the monies were then going to be absorbed by the state... I wonder just how fine the print was for that little "feature."

Seems to me the nice thing to do would have been for the state to notify the user via email or text... rather than just take another bite out of the credit card... then the user could simply acknowledge that they wished to extend their "toll thingy" or cancel it... all of which could have been automated. Instead they just "tipped the till" into the state coffers.

I wonder what happens if the credit card has been canceled... does the state just heap on fines every time the user goes through a toll booth? Just another "screw you" to the consumer.

It's important to pay attention to items you have tied to your bank account, and in particular when it's auto drafting. Thanks for being OP hero though. I am sure they appreciate you holding the shield.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 06-23-22 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-23-22, 06:33 PM
indyfabz
Banned.

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,150 Times in 4,949 Posts
Doesn’t sound worth it to me.
Old 06-23-22, 06:35 PM
indyfabz
Banned.

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,150 Times in 4,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Please Hold. Your call is very important to us.

IKR “Someone will be with you shortly.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 07:22 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
It's important to pay attention to items you have tied to your bank account, and in particular when it's auto drafting. Thanks for being OP hero though. I am sure they appreciate you holding the shield.
Out of thread curiosity... I took a look at both the Florida Sunpass and Texas TXTag websites... both offer a "you fill it when it gets low" or a "we grab it when it is low," options... I checked the FAQs, and did a somewhat cursory browse, much like someone might do when creating an account. Neither mentioned "expiring passes forfeit funds to the state."

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
https://www.txtag.org/txtagstorefront/en/login

Now I do agree with you regarding paying attention to auto draws on your funds (and personally I abhor such things) and I note that the OP did notice that there was a problem.

But where in the heck does the state get off doing such a thing without notifying the users/customers... That seems like it is verging on the edge of consumer fraud. Of course it isn't like Texas in particular has a clean slate in this area... considering the excessive rates the Texas power companies charged while "freezing their customers to death." Nice place, Texas, eh?

Sorry if I offended you.
Old 06-23-22, 08:39 PM
Chuck M 
Butted Hi-Tensile

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 473 Posts
I can't remember the particulars of it, but I had to make some farkakte account to pay a toll in Texas. I received a piece of mail that looked like BS to me but I opened it anyway. It said I owed for a toll I passed without paying. I had not been to Texas for years. Then I looked at the tag number they said was the offender and realized it was my wife's car. She had been to Texas for some training and I remembered her saying she let one of her employees drive when they got to Dallas. Guess what she did.

Old 06-23-22, 09:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Why I love Texas? We can cruise at 85mph. California transplants welcomed they bring $ business atmosphere very good.
Old 06-24-22, 09:24 AM
genec
genec

Why I love Texas? We can cruise at 85mph. California transplants welcomed they bring $ business atmosphere very good.
Those roads don't bother me so much... although a sneeze at 85MPH... ! But those roads tend to be lightly traveled and are divided and are over long distances, with pretty good sight lines... "El Paso" anyone.

The Texas roads I find "abhorrent" are the narrow, low visibility farm roads that criss-cross the state... A prudent motorist would not drive at the posted speed limits on those roads... there could be cow or cyclist, or broken down tractor just beyond the hill shown below. Problem is, of course, that so many motorists are less than prudent, and see a speed limit sign as "must drive that speed."

And yeah, this was taken in Texas... (I do visit relatives from time to time)

Likes For genec:
Old 06-24-22, 09:45 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Some farm roads the speed limit is too fast. Most states I have noticed keep those roads around 55-60 mph.
Old 06-24-22, 09:56 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,416 Times in 686 Posts
You think you're mad now? Wait until the state sends you a 1099 the first of next year for $32.88 "income" that puts you into the next tax bracket

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
So, here's what happened. Here in the DFW area there are a lot of toll roads that use TollTag transponders instead of toll booths. You set up an online account where a cash balance is maintained via automatic credit card withdrawals to cover the cost of tolls. You initially start the account with $40, and then when it drops below a certain level the toll authority (NTTA) will replenish it. So, there is always a cash balance in the account. Anyways, I used to use the toll roads a lot, but in recent years I have stopped doing so, such that the NTTA decided to close my account without informing me. I discovered this when I tried to log in to my account and was told that my account was closed and that I should contact customer service. So, I called customer service and was told that I would have to set up a new account and request new TollTags, since the old ones had been deactivated. But what about the cash balance that remained in the old closed account; surely the NTTA would send me a refund, right ? WRONG !!!! Nope, the NTTA sent my remaining funds to the Texas State Comptroller, Unclaimed Property Department, and I would have to file a claim to recover my money. First I had to call the Comptroller's office and request a claim number; then have them send me some forms, then fill out the forms including copies of my Social Security card and Driver's License, and then either upload them to their website for submittal or mail to them directly. All this to recover a lousy $32.88 that the dumb potluckers could have just as simply refunded directly. Incredible !
Old 06-24-22, 10:00 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Minimum wage in Texas is criminal. People are not showing up because it is working for free since most of their money goes for gas.
Old 06-24-22, 10:01 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
You think you're mad now? Wait until the state sends you a 1099 the first of next year for $32.88 "income" that puts you into the next tax bracket
Um, it was his money in the first place...

But yeah, sure, the state is gonna mess that up too.
Likes For genec:
Old 06-24-22, 10:04 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by nomadmax View Post
Or worse, increases my MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) enough to place me in the next higher Medicare premium range.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 06-24-22, 10:07 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
I was on and off the phone with Southwest Airlines for 7 hours a few days ago. I finally had enough and hung up. I got a travel credit since I’m not going to Vegas since Aerosmith canceled. The rest in the party is going and the credit is in my name but for some reason got assigned to someone else in the group. Easy fix but NO we have to call a supervisor etc etc the classic runaround tactic. This video is SW airline customer service.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-24-22, 10:22 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Actually, the agents at both the NTTA and the Texas Comptroller's Office answered the phones immediately and were very polite and helpful, although the NTTA robot made me jump through a lot of hoops before I was transferred to a human agent (e.g. para continuar en español oprima el dos). The only problem was that the phone connection at the Comptroller's Office was very bad, so it took forever to get everything done so that she could email me the paperwork. So, I'm not angry at the people, just the process.

Old 06-24-22, 10:15 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 152 Posts

I'm a little freaked out by that Texas cloud in your picture Hondo. It looks like an eyeball staring down from the sky!
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 06-25-22, 12:54 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

All I see is 85 mph but in reality cruising 95-100. Makes good time but when you hit the interstate at 75 mph it feels like standing still.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-25-22, 01:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 1,337 Posts
Illinois tollway sends me an email when it replenishes and things like when my credit card it pulls from is expiring. I use it rarely, mostly for O'hare runs.
Old 06-26-22, 02:59 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,416 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Um, it was his money in the first place...

But yeah, sure, the state is gonna mess that up too.
I know it was his money. That's what makes my statement humorous. Where is the "right over the head emoji" ?
Old 06-26-22, 03:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

The doctors here work out of the hospital anyways I go in person to make an appointment. Or sit on the phone forever listening to crappy elevator music for 30 minutes or more. But I’m in a small town so it isn’t much of a hassle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.