Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice on a first purchase Commencal Acid

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-30-22, 04:54 AM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a fixie to offer to a young man as a reward for getting his exam. He is a good cyclist (rides my mercier tdf and Raleigh Carlton daily in the Alps) and dreams about a fixie for in-town trips.
There's an offer nearby for a barely used 2015 Commencal Acid.

I have to say, the frame looks very unique and cool!
Still I've zero experience of that type of bikes and at 270€ I'd rather not make a mistake.
Here is a little more details about the bike.
If there is no difference in sizing with a road bike, then the bike should fit right, but do you usually ride a fixie smaller or lager than you would a road bike?
Is the equipment listed of good quality?
Does the price seems right to you for a bike this age?
I know it's a lot of questions but I like that it's a French bike and if I take the plunge to purchase a fixie for him I'd like it to last a while. I've seen offers for new complete bikes on line cheaper but if they look good, and flashy I suspect cheap Chinese parts/frame and a lot of issues to come.
Thanks for your time and input!
Old 06-30-22, 05:39 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Old 06-30-22, 12:58 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
for around town looks fun
Old 06-30-22, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Nothing exceptional but doesn't look like total crap. The frame is certainly an odd ball in terms of looks so probably the asking price might be a touch higher than it would if just a normal Chromoly frame.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-01-22, 12:38 AM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Nothing exceptional but doesn't look like total crap. The frame is certainly an odd ball in terms of looks so probably the asking price might be a touch higher than it would if just a normal Chromoly frame.
Thanks for your answer. I will try and negotiate the price a bit lower and we shall see.
What in your opinion would need replacing to make a better bike mechanically?
Old 07-01-22, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Beurt
Thanks for your answer. I will try and negotiate the price a bit lower and we shall see.
What in your opinion would need replacing to make a better bike mechanically?
I mean I wouldn't put a ton into the bike but tires are a good choice for performance benefits. Cram the widest tires on there and get something with a good rubber compound or if you are riding it more like a road bike rather than just a fixed gear street bike then a nice soft supple tire will do you well. Obviously a better chain, cog and chainring but that can get more expensive than the bike might really be worth.