Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help with battery to controller connection

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-04-21, 03:29 PM
jojimbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just about finished with my build but unfortunately the wires for power coming from the battery base and the ones coming out of the controller don't match. Am I SOL or is there anything I can do?

Old 06-04-21, 04:12 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Very easy solution. Just procure a connector set (I use XT-90's with spark arrest; got mine with "pigtails" from Luna Cycle, but they're everywhere) and solder or use crimp connectors to join. If you get them with "pigtails" you don't need to worry about the plugs, just connect the wires. Experts like DY probably don't need to do this.

Took a second look and if you can find the appropriate "bullets", you only need to put them on the bare set; however, I'd get a more durable system.
Old 06-04-21, 04:20 PM
jojimbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Very easy solution. Just procure a connector set (I use XT-90's with spark arrest; got mine with "pigtails" from Luna Cycle, but they're everywhere) and solder or use crimp connectors to join. If you get them with "pigtails" you don't need to worry about the plugs, just connect the wires. Experts like DY probably don't need to do this.
You're a lifesaver, so a connector isn't necessary? I can just connect them directly, solder and put a sleeve over the connection? Alternatively I do have a few of these connectors from a fuse kit, i'm not sure what they're called though.
Old 06-04-21, 04:30 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
FME, with the high voltage going through the wires, I would use good connectors. Also, you can, but i wouldn't connect them directly because you'll want to separate the battery from the controller IMO. See what others have to say. I'm a Chemist not an EE or anything close.
Old 06-04-21, 08:10 PM
jojimbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
FME, with the high voltage going through the wires, I would use good connectors. Also, you can, but i wouldn't connect them directly because you'll want to separate the battery from the controller IMO. See what others have to say. I'm a Chemist not an EE or anything close.
Gotcha, thanks again, really appreciate the help
Old 06-05-21, 07:43 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Don't use the squeeze connectors in the picture. They will get hot and melt.

Go to the automotive store and buy some crimp-on bullet connectors, and a suitable crimp tool. Pliers don't work very well, You could also crimp the wire together directly if you never plan to disconnect the controller.

Or if you can solder, use XT60's or XT90's. Better solution.
Old 06-07-21, 12:48 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The only good solution is XT90.

Any other connector will spark when connecting and that can cause long term problems. If you only disconnect the battery once a year, it may not be a problem, but if you regularly take the battery off the bike, solder in some xt90's.

Bullet or other connectors don't seem to make a very solid connection in my experience. I've done it, but it didn't work out well.
Old 06-14-21, 09:55 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Skotchlok is a definite NO! Cannot handle any current.

XT90's are great and can easily be soldered.

If you have a good shop they can crimp on a set of andersons OR the bullet connectors like in your pic.

I use and do them all.

-SP
Old 06-15-21, 07:28 AM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I use the XT 60's and solder the connections, and cover the soldered connection with shrink wrap plus a bit of electrical tape for good measure. But all the batteries i use have an on/off switch built in.so when a battery gets removed I just switch it off. The one battery that does not have a switch just gets removed from it's cradle before being disconnected.