Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Toe Clearance and bigger tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Toe Clearance and bigger tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 12:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What I think is true for everyone, is that bikes should be available in a variety of geometries so that we don't keep having these threads where people try to invalidate each other's experience or preferences. Want a bike with a short wheelbase and can handle TCO? Great, you can have that! Want a bike that obviates TCO by having some combination of slacker HTA/more fork rake and possibly smaller wheels, and are okay with different handling? You can have that too!

Doesn't seem like the topic needs to be so contentious, IMO.
I agree completely.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-30-22, 09:25 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
ah ha

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Funny you should say that, because the only time I ever fell because of toe overlap was on a track bike. With the fixed gear, you can't ratchet. Granted, I was being stupid and paying attention to my teammate who was qualifying while I was cooling down on the apron, veered too close to the grass and steered back, catching my toe which could only continue moving forward or come to a complete stop.
ah ha , so toe overlap can be a problem.!!?? on a touring bike lets just say I prefer not to have it. I gave away mw Schwinn Voyaguer that had it. I even told the guy about it who took it. I bought another year Schwinn Voyageur , and no toe overlap.. All this talk about toes , got me thinking of womens nice toes
Old 03-30-22, 10:14 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Not trolling, I genuinely I did not know tire overlap was an issue outside of fixed gear riding.
Likes For walnutz:
Old 03-30-22, 10:21 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
There's no Geo measurement which would 'indicate' toe clearance - too many factors.
Besides Front-center, there is crank length, tire/wheel diameter, shoe size (and not surprisingly, shoe profile in the nose/toe area), cleat placement.
Toe-overlap has usually been a condition of 'road' type bikes, rare for what had been called 'touring' bikes.
There's a lot of history to this, and I won;t into that now.
But these days the problem is exasperated by bigger riders on smaller frames, general use of large tire sizes, and bike designers not adapting design for the overwhelming trend for use of large tires by a broad spectrum of riders.
Surprisingly, getting Front-center spec in manfacturer's specs is not a given. Specialized gives front-center, Trek does not... One can calculate front-center from the common geo specs given.
You need wheelbase, chainstay length, BB drop.
So, it becomes a personal investigation. For me, I generally ride 'Lg' commonly 56-57cm size in road frames, Have a 11/45 shoe size and the cleat is mounted well forward on the shoe sole , but Ball O Foot is positioned over the center of pedal spindle (I have a size 13 foot arch length with corresponding size 8 toe length... LOL! ) I still ride 700x23 or 25 on my road bikes. And use Sidi and Shimano shoes which don;t have a very pointy toe shoe profile. So, I can avoid toe-overlap if the front-center is at least 590mm or a bit greater. If I were to go to a 28mm tire, it would be very, very close...
My own observations for a few years is that a front-center of over 600mm would accommodate tire sizes up to at least 42, possibly larger - for large feet (size 12 or under...)
I've owned a few bikes, over the decades, which had toe-ovelap, and none have ever been 'keepers' or considered a FAV... besides toe-overlap, there have always been other things which have made the frame less desirable...
Toe-overlap isn't even a 'discussion' when it comes to riding with flat pedals, because foot/shoe placement is usually all over the map...
For some, toe-overlap is not a consideration. I find it totally annoying and know it could easily be eliminated in frame design, so it's a none-starter for me.
Ride On
Yuri
This is all good stuff, but front fenders take up to a few cm off of the available clearance, as well.

Apologies if you covered it, but it wasn't obvious to me.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 03-30-22, 11:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
ah ha , so toe overlap can be a problem.!!??
I would say the problem was more a matter of me insisting on looking behind me and not watching where I was riding, and I don't know of any touring bikes with fixed gears, but sure why not?

Originally Posted by rossiny
All this talk about toes , got me thinking of womens nice toes
TMI
Old 03-30-22, 03:06 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
This is all good stuff, but front fenders take up to a few cm off of the available clearance, as well.

Apologies if you covered it, but it wasn't obvious to me.
Totally right there... I did not consider fenders. I've really only owned one bike in 50+ yrs, with fenders.....
My own Opa's Opafiets... LOL! and it IS a 'Mercedes' of bikes... LOL!
But, yes, fenders need to be considered !
Ride On
Yuri
Old 03-30-22, 04:32 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Yes I'm posting a picture of this bike again.....

I ride this bike everyday, it's my car, I grocery shop on it, I make store runs on it, it's my default, and it has toe overlap, I just don't know if I'd like it better if it didn't have toe over lap? I can't remember a a bike I've owned on the past that didn't have overlap maybe it's muscle memory maybe it's not a big deal and maybe it doesn't matter.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-31-22, 08:07 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

I ride this bike everyday, it's my car, I grocery shop on it, I make store runs on it, it's my default, and it has toe overlap, I just don't know if I'd like it better if it didn't have toe over lap? I can't remember a a bike I've owned on the past that didn't have overlap maybe it's muscle memory maybe it's not a big deal and maybe it doesn't matter.
As a much younger person I too scoffed at toe overlap, or at least didn't consider it a problem. Perhaps my intuitive coordination was so good I always cleared my foot from the wheel. But in more recent later years I see it as a more important aspect of fit - one of the changes with aging, in my case at least.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-03-22, 10:34 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I had toe overlap on my 56 cm bike but that's it. I noticed it on a specific section and it did bother me. It was a steep slow and twisty climb. A few "switchbacks" were really slow/tight and I buzzed the wheel while climbing- 2-3 times. It definitely caught me off guard since I was not expecting it. I don't have that issue on any of my 58 cm bikes. I'll prob get a 56 cn next time and may reduce crank length to 170 from 175. I'll test the bike first and make sure the overlap isn't too much. A rare toe-buzz is fine but a big overlap isn't...I'd just get a 58. I'm 5'11, 33.5" inseam and size 12 feet.
Old 04-03-22, 10:47 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts

Of course it doesn't matter, you're riding with flat pedals... duh
Toe overlap is only an issue of one is riding with a fixed foot position. "Clipless", name with derived from "toe clips" and cleats... or BITD, with toe clips and cleats...
unless, of course, you're stubborn enough to not move your foot when it strikes the tire...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-03-22, 02:14 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Of course it doesn't matter, you're riding with flat pedals... duh
Toe overlap is only an issue of one is riding with a fixed foot position. "Clipless", name with derived from "toe clips" and cleats... or BITD, with toe clips and cleats...
unless, of course, you're stubborn enough to not move your foot when it strikes the tire...
Ride On
Yuri
i ride flats when it’s warm and clipless when it’s cold or wet
Old 04-07-22, 05:03 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Chandne
I had toe overlap on my 56 cm bike but that's it. I noticed it on a specific section and it did bother me. It was a steep slow and twisty climb. A few "switchbacks" were really slow/tight and I buzzed the wheel while climbing- 2-3 times. It definitely caught me off guard since I was not expecting it. I don't have that issue on any of my 58 cm bikes. I'll prob get a 56 cn next time and may reduce crank length to 170 from 175. I'll test the bike first and make sure the overlap isn't too much. A rare toe-buzz is fine but a big overlap isn't...I'd just get a 58. I'm 5'11, 33.5" inseam and size 12 feet.
BTW size 12 feet could be enough to do it, compared to my 8 1/2s! I also normally ride 52 to 54. A good podiatrist? Lol.

I don't think it's directly based on your frame size, but rather it's your front-center. That is the distance from the front wheel axis (skewer end of your front QR with the wheel straight, is close enough) to the bottom bracket axis. True this ofter is longer for a bigger-size frame, but but this relationship is nowhere near a federal law! The front-center takes into account top tube length, head tube angle, fork rake or offset, seat tube angle, and reach, as in "stack and reach." It does not cover the option to have fenders or not, tire diameter, crank arm length, and how far forward your cleats are set. If you are reaching too far forward after some of these tweaks, you can recalibrate the cockpit by reducing the saddle setback, reducing the stem extension or reducing the handlebar reach. I doubt any of us can steer you through such a set of interactions.

I'd start by measuring the front-center of my frames to see how much increase in front-center an offending bicycle needs in order to be as good as a not-offending frame. For one thing if you need to go bike shopping you can bring a tape measure and measure a bike you like and see if it is close to your toe-clearance criterion, roughly based on the front-center. If you need to reduce by only 2 cm, that might be done with a fork with lower offset combined with a 5 mm shorter crank arm and setting forward the cleats 5 mm. I'm not saying this is the only approach, since there are so many factors involved, but I think the front-center comparison is a big part of the story.

You could also put the crank pedal-forward and position it and the fork for minimum clearance for a more direct reading of how close your foot gets in the case where there is overlap, and to see if you think you can correct it. For a problem of just a few mm, probably you can. But if it's a few cm, You might have to change several other dimensions and those might not leave you with a bike that pedals or climbs the way you like. I guess one of my first goals would be to make sure I have frames for which overlap can be prevented, reasonably. If not, new bike time, save your toes, and whatever else might be crunched if you fall over!

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-07-22 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-07-22, 05:20 AM
Road Fan

Yes, that is a Mercedes of bikes! A very well-considered set-up! Congratulations to you and your Opa! Where in Germany are you? I spend some good time in Lippstadt, on the Lippe River, between Duesseldorf and Kassel. I borrowed a colleague's bike a few times and went out on B roads, which have good side-paths up there, and gentle climbs.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-07-22 at 05:26 AM.