Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a Mondonico fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 10:49 AM
sthurman

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 23 Posts

Hi! I bought a Mondonico frame without a fork and I am looking for a chrome original fork if anybody has one. Frame is 56cm.
I built it up with a random steel fork and it still has the best ride Ive ever experienced on a bike. I'd like to invest in a matching fork as this will be a keeper bike for me.
I currently built it to comply with Eroica rules so my friend could ride it at Eroica CA.
Old 05-04-22, 01:27 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by sthurman
Hi! I bought a Mondonico frame without a fork and I am looking for a chrome original fork if anybody has one. Frame is 56cm.
I built it up with a random steel fork and it still has the best ride Ive ever experienced on a bike. I'd like to invest in a matching fork as this will be a keeper bike for me.
I currently built it to comply with Eroica rules so my friend could ride it at Eroica CA.
I am guessing that will be tough to find as the frames are pretty rare and if a fork is for sale, you have to wonder what happened to the frame...?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-04-22, 01:41 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
^true^ the only hope is somebody who thought a CF fork would be the bee's knees, has decided to "get rid of that old piece of steel junk"!
If you can determine the correct rake of your original, and are a bit flexible, you may be able to find something in chrome with same or similar fork crown from another Italian builder, otherwise an exact match with correct steerer size will be needle in a haystack rare.
But one brand that might come close and expand your search grounds is Torelli, has been said that Mondonico build a number of those frames (but not all).

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-04-22 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-04-22, 02:26 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
A fully chrome fork on that bike will look sharp for sure.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-04-22, 04:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
^true^ the only hope is somebody who thought a CF fork would be the bee's knees, has decided to "get rid of that old piece of steel junk"!
It happens. I bought a parts box and found a nice Guerciotti fork, in the CF fork packaging that replaced it.
Bike shops swapped out nice steel forks all the time over the last couple of decades. Not unlike stock Civics with loud exhausts.
Likes For clubman:
Old 05-04-22, 09:02 PM
sthurman

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

I recall

I recall a thread saying that 15 years ago or so a bunch of mondonico forks landed on ebay. I'm hoping somebody back then bought one they didn't need and still has it available
Old 05-04-22, 09:17 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Hi sthurman , check out Cicli il Massimo: https://www.cicli-il-massimo.com/

In summary, when Antonio Mondonico shut up shop, his son Mauro started il Massimo.

An il Massimo fork on your Mondonico would not be out of place at all.

Edit: also here: https://www.smartcycles.com/ilmassimo
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-06-22, 08:17 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
If you can determine the correct rake of your original, and are a bit flexible, you may be able to find something in chrome with same or similar fork crown from another Italian builder, otherwise an exact match with correct steerer size will be needle in a haystack rare.
But one brand that might come close and expand your search grounds is Torelli, has been said that Mondonico build a number of those frames (but not all).
I have a very similar Mondonico with the original fork. I’m not interested in selling its fork, but I can check the rake and length on mine. Do you know what steer tube length you need?
Old 05-08-22, 08:41 AM
sthurman

Back in town

Sorry for belated responses, I went to eroica CA and turned it into a week-long family vacation in wine country. So the head tube length is 146mm and stack height for campy headset is about 38 iirc, so I think I need a steerer tube at least 184mm. I decided to borrow a Moser chrome fork from another frame of mine until (if I ever) I find a proper Mondonico fork. I'll keep looking on ebay. I would find your measurements of a matching mondonico fork helpful though 😀
Old 05-08-22, 11:52 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Bet the Moser fork, if from the same era as your Mondonico frame) would be "pretty close".
Old 05-09-22, 01:15 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I recall a thread saying that 15 years ago or so a bunch of mondonico forks landed on ebay. I'm hoping somebody back then bought one they didn't need and still has it available
True - I bought on BITD. Mine was raw steel, no paint or chrome. Bill McGann was selling them. I think I ended up selling it to @afilado here on the forum back in 2012.
Old 05-09-22, 06:49 PM
sthurman

Bet the Moser fork, if from the same era as your Mondonico frame) would be "pretty close".
You're right, it does look great! I just finished the new build and don't mind keeping it this way. It rides amazing, so much so that I chose to keep this over my Eddy Merckx Titanium AX. Here's a photo of the new build:
Likes For sthurman:
Old 05-11-22, 10:09 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
You're right, it does look great! I just finished the new build and don't mind keeping it this way. It rides amazing, so much so that I chose to keep this over my Eddy Merckx Titanium AX. Here's a photo of the new build:
Looks fantastic! I actually picked up a Mondonico with a carbon fork but swapped back in the original steel fork (sold the carbon fork). Here's the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ico-el-os.html
Old 05-11-22, 05:20 PM
sthurman

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Looks fantastic! I actually picked up a Mondonico with a carbon fork but swapped back in the original steel fork (sold the carbon fork). Here's the thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ico-el-os.html
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I heavily favor steel forks with steel bikes too nice build too!
Old 05-11-22, 09:07 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing! I heavily favor steel forks with steel bikes too nice build too!
Thanks! Yeah, the carbon fork on the bike was ruining the ride. The steel fork added weight but smoothed everything out. Love Mondonico! Enjoy yours...
Old 05-11-22, 09:21 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I have a blue one. It's on my 56cm Diamond, same frame as yours, but it's not original. It's a slightly darker blue than the frame. I was going to get them both resprayed, but I'm probably just going to get a carbon fork for it. I actually like carbon forks.

Old 05-11-22, 09:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Originally Posted by krakhaus
I have a blue one. It's on my 56cm Diamond, same frame as yours, but it's not original. It's a slightly darker blue than the frame. I was going to get them both resprayed, but I'm probably just going to get a carbon fork for it. I actually like carbon forks.
SO...you'll have a spare steel fork, then?
Sell it to @sthurman!
It may be slightly earlier than his frame, but you'll make his day!
Old 05-12-22, 08:34 AM
sthurman

SO...you'll have a spare steel fork, then?
Sell it to @sthurman!
It may be slightly earlier than his frame, but you'll make his day!
niceunworthy1
Yes, I am definitely interested! if you will sell the fork, please PM me.
Old 05-12-22, 12:08 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

and since it's on a 56cm it might be a perfect fit, tho obviously not chrome. You can't win 'em all!
GLWS if there is one!
Old 06-14-22, 08:59 PM
sthurman

Final update, Thanks Joey!

So I got lucky and Krakhaus sold me the blue fork as it was a perfect match (except the color). Thanks Joey! I'm going to give an overview of the whole thing in case anybody finds my adventure helpful.

I was hoping to spend about $200 or less to get a matching fork. So the fork had very nice paint, but it was blue and my frame is red so I made the decision to get it chromed because paint matching would be difficult. The fork had been cut and did not have much threading, so I also decided to have it threaded another inch at 2 wheeler dealer in Brea, CA. I chose a local company to do the chrome (Paramount) and it was a good experience except a few hiccups.

I paid $130 for fork and $15 for shipping. I paid $25 for threading but also had to pay another $15 because they had to grind away chrome on the steerer tube. I paid $125 for chrome but had to pay another $25 for paint stripping and $25 for chrome removal (unfinished chrome under the paint). So in total this fork cost me $360, way over budget.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah! I pay that much at costco every few days for food. I will get hundreds of hours of enjoyment from this bike (I am anal and couldn't stand that I didn't have a matching fork).

Anyhow, here are some photos with the brand new chromed matching fork...

Likes For sthurman:
Old 06-14-22, 09:37 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
It looks amazing, sucks that it ended up costing so much, but it looks beautiful. I'm inspired to get my Mondonico done now.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 06-16-22, 09:11 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
I think I ended up selling it to @afilado here on the forum back in 2012.
Julian in Chattanooga.
Old 06-16-22, 09:28 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

aside from the cost (hey: that's inflation!) it's a happy ending to this tale!

And hard to find the perfect fork for small coin these days anyhow, I am shocked at what the eBay sellers that have cornered the market ask for good quality Italian forks!

The new chrome plating looks first rate, and nearly impossible to find chrome-plating in California nowadays, so you lucked out finding Paramount!

At a glance the Mondo fork looks pretty close to the temp Moser: how do the measurements compare?
Do you notice any diff in the ride/handling between these 2 similar steel Italian forks?
Old 06-16-22, 09:48 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
I actually think the cost was quite reasonable. You're looking at $250 - $300 or more for a new quality steel fork, and those are neither from Mondonico nor chromed. As you point out, it's a very worthwhile one-time cost for long-term use. Not a "deal", but very high value.
Old 06-16-22, 11:27 AM
sthurman

Compare forks

aside from the cost (hey: that's inflation!) it's a happy ending to this tale!

And hard to find the perfect fork for small coin these days anyhow, I am shocked at what the eBay sellers that have cornered the market ask for good quality Italian forks!

The new chrome plating looks first rate, and nearly impossible to find chrome-plating in California nowadays, so you lucked out finding Paramount!

At a glance the Mondo fork looks pretty close to the temp Moser: how do the measurements compare?
Do you notice any diff in the ride/handling between these 2 similar steel Italian forks?
I agree on all points! The quality of the chrome plating is great. The only issues were that they chromed the entire fork including the steerer up to the threads, and because the chrome was thick the steerer no longer fit in the headset nor did the fork crown race slide down into position. They worked with me and grinded away material on the steerer until this issue was resolved. Then when I went to put the wheel in I realized that the axel no longer fit in the dropouts so I had to use a grinder to remove material inside the dropouts until the axel would fit. I expect that this shop has learned from these issues and avoid these problems next time.

Not knowing how to measure a fork properly, I can only comment on ride characteristics of each fork. The handling is very similar between the mondo and moser forks on this frame. If anything, the steering is slightly quicker or twitchier with the mondo fork, but overall stability (as measured with hands off the bar) is similar.

An interesting side note, before I had the Moser fork I had an 80s tange fork from a Lotus Supreme installed for a few months. I painted it black because it was originally pink and I thought at least it looks like a carbon fork. Anyhow, this fork had more rake and the wheel sat further out and I must say that this configuration had the most enjoyable steering/handling qualities. But I prefer an original fork to ride the frame "as intended" by the master framebuilder.

Here is a photo with the black lotus fork and a neo retro build so my buddy could ride it at eroica CA this year:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.