Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Torpado Test Ride - Pretty Much What I Expected...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 09:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts

Though still pretty cold, here in the Thunder Bay area, I finally took my recently finished late sixties Torpado out for a test ride. It is, pretty much, original with the exception of the SPD pedals. I just cannot bring myself to using the old style "rat trap" pedal system of Old School days...

I did not push the bike (my legs are too old and the right one needs a new knee) but I did a few kilometers, just to see what was what. There were no surprises and the bike worked as I expected it would. I really did enjoy myself, though, even though everything was not perfect...

Simply put, "as I expected it would" means not great in the modern world of "user friendly" component groups. The Valentino transmission shifted OK but I did not attempt fast or under load shifts. Also, I could not use the "pill box" front derailleur as there was insufficient room to mount it between the seat tube and rear fender...

The brakes worked just fine but the patterned braking surface on the steel rims buzzed like an angry bee. The hand brake levers were awkward for me to reach, once again proving to me that the expert's information on setting up a ride position means squat in my old (ancient) world.

The saddle, an all plastic saddle, a Freccia D'oro (Golden Arrow) was NOT to my liking. In all fairness, it has been a while since riding anything, due to illness, and first rides, each season, always prove uncomfortable until my sitter toughens up). The old school seat post and saddle clamp are also not to my liking. I have never been able to get them properly secured although this one was not too bad...

The Michelain Dynamic Classic gumwall tires were fine and I will likely buy them again. In fact, I plan to install a set on my old Legnano - someday.

All in all, the ride was pleasant although cool (cold actually) and I enjoyed the experience...

For anyone who thinks that these old machines are the cat's butt for regular riding - forget it. They just don't perform the way modern bikes do. Though I love finding and restoring them, I much prefer the ride and user friendly qualities of my more modern vintage road bikes...

If I decide to spend more time riding the Torpado, some changes will take place. I will change out the wheel set for a 700c alloy rim and skewer mount pair (my hands suffer from arthritis and I can't tighten up the wing nuts enough for me to feel secure). The plastic saddle has got to go and I just might install a Brooks honey B17 to take its place. I will also find or file an alloy indexed seat post and fit it into place. The handlebar (not original - the original is just too narrow) will be tipped down a bit and, hopefully, make it easier to reach the levers.
Old 05-08-21, 10:13 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
i feel your pain. really! one knee getting twitchy, and the same as you have for hand pain. i walk 2 to 4 miles around the seacoast daily, weather be damned to keep in some sort of shape, but gained some lbs over the winter. i'm switching to riser bars on my riders... drop bars for bikes i will probably sell. your did a great job with that bike, randy. i always enjoy looking at it!
Old 05-08-21, 11:00 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Nice bike! Maybe it isn't as "user friendly" as a modern one, but it has an appeal of its own.
Old 05-08-21, 05:40 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Nice bike! Maybe it isn't as "user friendly" as a modern one, but it has an appeal of its own.
And it is such vintage appeal that keeps me seeking, finding and building these old works of art. I love doing this and can't wait to get at the next project. That said...

I love riding this old bicycle just as much as a newer one. Not "user friendly" but a hoot to scoot on every time I take it out for a spin...
Old 05-10-21, 09:09 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Though still pretty cold, here in the Thunder Bay area, I finally took my recently finished late sixties Torpado out for a test ride. It is, pretty much, original with the exception of the SPD pedals.
Looks great. And my tastes have changed -- growing up a bike did not look right without steep frame angles, and low relaxed angles look better to me -- irrespective of actual performance.

I do see a lot of bikes on the forum with the handlebars set that way -- the drops parallel to the ground instead of pointed at the rear axle. Is that an aesthetic preference, or comfort, or...???

Thunder Bay. Wow, that's on the latitude of International Falls, the place I check out on National Weather Service when I think we're having a bad weather day here near Washington DC. It must make for hardy cyclists, I am impressed.