Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Component Everyone Hates (Except You)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-24-20, 09:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

Too much hate man. There needs to be a companion thread. What component do you love, even if most people hate it?

I'll start.

Huret Allvit
Simplex Delrin anything
Bridgestone 'self centering' brakes - OK not hated so much as ignored
Campagnolo Record sidepull brakes
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-24-20, 09:42 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
PowerGrips. My usual verbosity and prolixity fail me, leaving me unable to describe how awesome these things are, nor how deeply and viscerally most people hate them.

--Shannon

Last edited by ShannonM; 08-24-20 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 09:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quill stems. Makes adjusting the bar height so simple. No torque wrench required, No headset to even think about, No spacers to chase. You can ride a slammed stem today and raise it 2-3" tomorrow. Change the bar height out on the road. (Yeah, you might have to "convince" the stem to loosen with a rock to the Allen key but those rocks are usually not hard to find.) You have to really work at over-tightening and doing any harm and too loose (unless absurdly so) doesn't matter Plus they look so much cleaner than any threadless stem.
Old 08-24-20, 10:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
PowerGrips. My usual verbosity and prolixity fail me, leaving me unable to describe how awesome these things are, nor how deeply and viscerally most people hate them.

--Shannon
makes sense, humboldt counter culture and such (kid just graduated from HSU (surviving the end of football) , is staying in Arcata and doing his own business.

Old 08-24-20, 10:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Quill stems. Makes adjusting the bar height so simple. No torque wrench required, No headset to even think about, No spacers to chase. You can ride a slammed stem today and raise it 2-3" tomorrow. Change the bar height out on the road. (Yeah, you might have to "convince" the stem to loosen with a rock to the Allen key but those rocks are usually not hard to find.) You have to really work at over-tightening and doing any harm and too loose (unless absurdly so) doesn't matter Plus they look so much cleaner than any threadless stem.
plus the don't look fugly

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-24-20, 10:37 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
makes sense, humboldt counter culture and such (kid just graduated from HSU (surviving the end of football) , is staying in Arcata and doing his own business.
I've been using them since the 1990s, in San Diego suburbia, so does that make me counter-counter-cultural?

Or just a weird guy who likes weird bike stuff?

--Shannon
Old 08-24-20, 10:54 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 723 Posts
Biopace. Saved my knees.

Short cranks. Also saved my knees.

Time ATAC pedals. Wanna guess what they did?
Old 08-24-20, 11:14 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Internally geared hubs.
Heavy bikes.
Heavy bikes with internally geared hubs.
Dockless bikes.
Heavy dockless bikes.
Heavy dockless bikes with internally geared hubs.
Electric assist systems.
Skinny tires when everyone else is on 650Bs.
Campagnolo Triomphe.
Campagnolo Victory.
Campagnolo Grand Sport rear mechs.
Stainless steel rims.
CLB-2 centerpull self-energizing brakes of many deathsisms.
Soldered-end Raleigh brake cables.
Stem shifters (on bikes with North Roads)

Remind me to build a heavy, pedal-assist dockless bike with an internally geared hub, 700x19C tires, stainless steel rims, soldered-end brake cables, stem shifters, and a combination of Campagnolo and CLB brake components.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-24-20, 11:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Best. Derailleurs. Evah

...and these pedals are pretty bad-ass, too:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-24-20, 11:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by scarlson
Biopace. Saved my knees.

Short cranks. Also saved my knees.

Time ATAC pedals. Wanna guess what they did?
Provided a place to rest your feet?

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-24-20, 11:36 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888
Internally geared hubs.
Heavy bikes.
Dockless bikes.
Heavy dockless bikes.
Electric assist systems.
Campagnolo Triomphe.
Campagnolo Victory.
Stainless steel rims.

-Kurt
Whew! We can still be friends

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-24-20, 11:38 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Rapid Rise rear derailleurs.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-25-20, 12:27 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

--Shannon
Power Grips are great on my commuter (1967 Paramount). I still want SPDs on the others, but for being able to just hop on and go a mile or three to the BART station or to downtown, they couldn't be better.
Old 08-25-20, 04:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Internally geared hubs.
Heavy bikes.
Dockless bikes.
Heavy dockless bikes.
Electric assist systems.
Campagnolo Triomphe.
Campagnolo Victory.
Stainless steel rims.

Remind me to build a heavy, pedal-assist dockless bike with an internally geared hub, 700x19C tires, stainless steel rims, soldered-end brake cables, stem shifters, and a combination of Campagnolo and CLB brake components.

-Kurt
Please forgive me, but what is a dockless bike?
Old 08-25-20, 05:08 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Too much hate man. There needs to be a companion thread. What component do you love, even if most people hate it?

I'll start.

Huret Allvit

Took this one out yesterday. Mostly I thought about how much better it would shift with a Shimano Crane. Sorry for the hate!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-25-20, 05:29 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Please forgive me, but what is a dockless bike?
A share bike that doesn't require a dock. Most of them are some form of modern 3-speed roadsters. You can see a few of them at the Bike Share Museum (link in my signature).

-Kurt

Old 08-25-20, 05:43 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Reflectors. I have a drawer-full of them in case someone wants one, but I typically just take them off and toss them in the rubbish bin.
Old 08-25-20, 06:57 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
The two-bolt Campy seatpost.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 08-25-20, 07:15 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
The humble Weinmann 999 Vainquer centerpull, that fell from being the pinnacle of bicycle stopping power on all the top non-French, non-Italian performance bikes to being identified with junky campus 10-speeds with steel rims. Not as Gallic-cool as the M.A.F.A.C. in all its Froggyness, but works shockingly well with good cables and housings and pads.

27 x 1 1/4-in tires at 70 psi - so pbbbbhhhht to all you bike magazine writers of the 70s busy cramming skinnier, harder tires for everything! And for all you people whinging about tire selection, all you really need to know for 27-in is Panaracer Pasela. Try them and be surprised at how flexible they can be on all sorts of surfaces. If they were good enough for Ian Hibell ...

French/metric dimensions - there IS a subtle difference with a French bike, one worth the hassle of looking a little bit harder for replacement parts.

Steel cottered cranks - they're really NOT so hard to service, and when equipped with steel chainrings they last a long, long time!

Shimano Lark and Eagle derailleurs - I mocked them growing up. I remember laughing behind the back of Rick, a guy who had completed Bikecentennial on a pieced-together Motobecane Mirage with a Shimano Eagle someone had cut the guard off and drilled out - but now I may do that to one and see what happens. They run forever and blend the best features of Simplex and Campagnolo in a derailleur that Keith Richards can use when he goes riding with the cockroaches and Betty White after the Apocalypse.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-25-20, 07:20 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Cottered Cranks. It is a bit odd for my saying this since I don't have a bike with them now, but I have in the past. Some of these are all steel cranks are well designed a fairly light. Some were downright elegant. Being that they are all steel (yes, I know there were some alloy versions) they wear like ....... um....... steel. The problem with cottered cranks is getting the pins out and if the pin gets mangled finding and filing a new pin.

Having worked in a bike shop when there were plenty of cottered crank bikes to be serviced, you learn that the key thing is to have the right tool. Not a hammer. In the shop it was a VAR tool. Nowadays, that tool is precious. But there are other tools that do a good job of extracting cottered crank pins. Once you understand how to deal with them, they can be pretty good.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-25-20, 07:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Carbon forks.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-25-20, 07:42 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Campagnolo NR and SR rear derailleurs: Way too much fuss over these based on Berto's attempted assessment. They are not only fully functional, but also lightweight, beautiful, and durable.

Ashtabula cranks: Simple and Strong. Service with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver. Heavy? Yeah, but they aren't for high performance.

Cottered Cranks: Not that difficult to work with if you have a good press, and they look way, WAY nicer than almost any alloy crank.

Campagnolo Record Sidepulls: I run mine with regular old Campagnolo brake pads and get excellent performance. Don't know what the haters are doing wrong. They are very good.

Oh, almost forgot, Skinny Tires: Love 'em. Widest tire I run on a roadie is 32, and have no desire to go wider. Funny how balloon tires got derided but everybody wants them on their roadies now.

Last edited by BFisher; 08-25-20 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 08-25-20, 08:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I liked the Huret Allvit too. While not without its faults, it shifted very well. When taken as as complete system with it's parallelogram front derailleur and stiffer shift levers with more leverage, I thought it superior to the more common and better rated Simplex Prestige.

I'm also anther advocate of the previously mentioned Shimano Rapid Rise derailleurs. Like SunTour's top-normal front derailleurs, using the spring to assist the upshift makes more sense and you quickly adapt, though if you're a collector constantly switching between bicycles with different systems, it's pretty easy to find your self in the gear.

When I first joined the forum, I seemed to be the only person who appreciated SIS and STI but gradually others have warmed to these products.

One series of Shimano innovations that others have been much slower to warm up to, are those of 600AX and Dura-Ace AX. They shifted great, the Dyna Drive cranks were super stiff and the Dyna Drive pedals incredibly stable. The pedals were also the easiest cup and cone design to adjust. Seven speeds on a freehub was also great. The brakes were a bit of a disappointment in performance but aesthetically I thought they were little jewels, on par with Huret Jubilee derailleurs and much better looking that Campagnolo Delta. Then there was the scalloped headset (actually introduced on EX). They were so easy to work on with the dedicated wrenches, that did not slip. Ironically, it was the less innovative aerodynamic styling of AX which is its legacy, eliminating flutes and engravings in favour of smooth surfaces and inked lettering, and heavily influencing the design of secondary components such as handlebar stems, seat posts and brake levers.
Old 08-25-20, 08:57 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
+1

Once I'd worked out how they do what they do, and how to rebuild them, they're unfailingly strong, stiff and self-centering. also, I think they look cool & old school sciency with the little ball joint housing in the casting, and the aero versions (with canted arms) can be really useful when your cabling is coming in at odd angles. (eg. rear brakes on some mixtes)

Originally Posted by Salamandrine

I'll start.

...Bridgestone 'self centering' brakes - OK not hated so much as ignored
Old 08-25-20, 09:01 AM
ramones71 

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Competition G.S., 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1982 Raleigh Superbe, 1983 Specialized Sequoia, 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires, 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Biopace chainrings. They were standard equipment on both of my late 80s Schwinns and I love everything about both of those bikes.

Campy branded dork-disk on my all-original Raleigh Competition G.S. I cannot bear to take anything that says “Campagnolo” off of the bike.
Likes For ramones71:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.