Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think my mtn bike is 2" too large for me.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-25-21, 04:22 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts

Is this an issue for a casual rider ?

Also, when adjusting seat, I made it higher so that when I stop, I have to get off the seat.
This allows fuller extension of leg on downstroke. Knee is just bent at bottom.
Is this a side effect of too big frame ?
Old 08-25-21, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
2 inches... you mean this much?

|----------------------------------------|

HTFU
Old 08-25-21, 04:32 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Needing to get off the saddle when stopped is not a sign of the bike being too large. My bike fits me fine, and I have to get off the seat when stopped. Casual rider here, not an issue. You said it was a mtn.bike. The only time I can see the height of the seat being a problem would be on descents, and that could be handled by a dropper post (tho just saw a thread on dropper posts that most said they didn't actually use theirs). On my mtn.bike, if I know I'm going to be riding a trail with lots of descents, I may just lower my seat a little-don't do it often, as it makes pedaling harder on the legs with the loss of leg extension (I don't have a dropper post). If you got a smaller mtn.bike frame, you'd be raising the seat higher to get good leg extension, would still end up getting off the seat when you stop.

Last edited by freeranger; 08-25-21 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 05:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Needing to get off the saddle when stopped is not a sign of the bike being too large.
While I agree with what you have said, the parameter for the properly sized mountain bike involves standover height. If you can’t get off the bike without 3” to 4” between the sensitive bits and the top tube, the bike is too large. If the bike is too large, the other proportions like the top tube length, reach, etc. are off which has an impact on handling, especially off road.

My bike fits me fine, and I have to get off the seat when stopped.
That should be the case with any bike that is properly fitted. I have road bikes and mountain bikes and I can’t put a toe on the ground from the saddle on any one of them. With proper leg extension on a correctly sized bike, it should be impossible to touch the ground from the saddle.

You said it was a mtn.bike. The only time I can see the height of the seat being a problem would be on descents, and that could be handled by a dropper post (tho just saw a thread on dropper posts that most said they didn't actually use theirs). On my mtn.bike, if I know I'm going to be riding a trail with lots of descents, I may just lower my seat a little-don't do it often, as it makes pedaling harder on the legs with the loss of leg extension (I don't have a dropper post). If you got a smaller mtn.bike frame, you'd be raising the seat higher to get good leg extension, would still end up getting off the seat when you stop.
While I agree with much of this, I have never had a dropper post nor do I think they are all that necessary. Most of my mountain bike (I have 4) even have bolt on seat post clamps which require a tool to adjust the height. On descents, I just push back off the back of the saddle. I have since 1985.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-25-21, 09:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
About 10-15 years ago the bicycle industry came out with crank forward bikes. This allowed the rider to get proper leg extension, due to the crank being offset forward from the seat tube, but also let the rider touch the ground while seated.

Because the majority of the weight was on the rear wheel, the front wheel was less weighted and the steering felt less precise. The design was also not good for climbing, except grinding up a hill. They were “almost” a recumbent but still retained more of a tradition hybrid appearance, but with a longer wheelbase.

They have since fallen out of favor, but for shorts trips, once someone got used to the steering, they delivered to their intended rider. My brother had one, and while it was definitely a different feel, I could see it being a serviceable bike for lower speed around town riding.

Have no idea what is available today, but it is an option for short rides and feet down stops.

John
Old 08-26-21, 05:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife

Also, when adjusting seat, I made it higher so that when I stop, I have to get off the seat.
No, your seat height sounds about right. It's normal to get off the seat when you are stopping to reach the ground.
When you stand over your top tube in front of the seat with your feet flat on the ground, there should be at least an inch of clearance to your groin. Preferably a couple of inches.
How is your reach to the bars? If you are having to stretch forward more than feels comfortable and your arms are locked out straight, then the frame is too big. If you are sat bolt upright and feel cramped when pedalling out of the saddle, then it is too small.
Old 08-26-21, 07:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Is your question whether needing to raise the seat indicates the frame is too large? If anything, it's an indicator that the frame is too small, and it probably isn't an indicator of that either. Seats are made to be adjusted for a reason.

In my experience, if you can put your foot down without getting off the seat, the bike is too small and/or the seat is too low, Probably not true if it's a BMX, but I don't ride those.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-21, 07:28 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The desired setup for most riding is to have the saddle at such a height that your legs are almost straight, only a tiny bit of bend in the knee, when the pedals are at the bottom of their stroke. If you think about the basic geometry of a bicycle, and the fact that you need some clearance between the ground and the pedals, this correct setup will result in not being able to put your feet flat on the ground when on the saddle. In most instances riders can either barely touch with their toes or cannot touch at all when in the saddle, and so nee to move forward and stand over the frame in order to get feet planted on the ground when stopped.
Another option is to stop next to a curb or other road feature that is raised up a couple of inches and put your foot on that, but this could result in forgetting to step off the saddle when no feature is available and falling.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-26-21, 08:32 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
With seat set to proper extension, you can expect to have to get off the saddle to put your foot down. This is because the bottom of the pedal stroke is several inches above the ground.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-26-21, 09:16 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Needing to get off the saddle when stopped is not a sign of the bike being too large. My bike fits me fine, and I have to get off the seat when stopped. Casual rider here, not an issue. You said it was a mtn.bike. The only time I can see the height of the seat being a problem would be on descents, and that could be handled by a dropper post (tho just saw a thread on dropper posts that most said they didn't actually use theirs). On my mtn.bike, if I know I'm going to be riding a trail with lots of descents, I may just lower my seat a little-don't do it often, as it makes pedaling harder on the legs with the loss of leg extension (I don't have a dropper post). If you got a smaller mtn.bike frame, you'd be raising the seat higher to get good leg extension, would still end up getting off the seat when you stop.
This is good to know. I had my seat too low, to allow me to sit while at a stop. I now have the seat higher, and get off the seat at a stop.
I only do street riding on my mtn. bike.
Old 08-26-21, 09:17 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is your question whether needing to raise the seat indicates the frame is too large? If anything, it's an indicator that the frame is too small, and it probably isn't an indicator of that either. Seats are made to be adjusted for a reason.

In my experience, if you can put your foot down without getting off the seat, the bike is too small and/or the seat is too low, Probably not true if it's a BMX, but I don't ride those.
No, my seat was too low. Leg was not straight at down stroke. Frame is 1-2" big for my size, but seems to not be a big deal.
Old 08-26-21, 09:20 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
About 10-15 years ago the bicycle industry came out with crank forward bikes. This allowed the rider to get proper leg extension, due to the crank being offset forward from the seat tube, but also let the rider touch the ground while seated.

Because the majority of the weight was on the rear wheel, the front wheel was less weighted and the steering felt less precise. The design was also not good for climbing, except grinding up a hill. They were “almost” a recumbent but still retained more of a tradition hybrid appearance, but with a longer wheelbase.

They have since fallen out of favor, but for shorts trips, once someone got used to the steering, they delivered to their intended rider. My brother had one, and while it was definitely a different feel, I could see it being a serviceable bike for lower speed around town riding.

Have no idea what is available today, but it is an option for short rides and feet down stops.

John
I do not have crank forward bike. I have a 2005 era Giant mtn bike. I have no issue with having to get off the seat.
Old 08-26-21, 09:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
No, my seat was too low. Leg was not straight at down stroke. Frame is 1-2" big for my size, but seems to not be a big deal.
How have you figured the frame is 1-2" too big?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-26-21, 09:31 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I do not have crank forward bike. I have a 2005 era Giant mtn bike. I have no issue with having to get off the seat.
Then why did you even start this thread?

Then again I have no clue why you start any of your threads, other than you enjoy the abuse.

In a moment of weakness, I decided to make an honest response because some people have issues with seat height and not being able to get a foot down. I can assure you, I won’t make that mistake again.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-26-21, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

You're going to have to show your math for that combination of factors to make sense. My experience with frames that are too big is that there's no seat position low enough on them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-21, 04:12 PM
freeranger

As stated by cyccommute, the bike is only too big if when standing over the top tube, with feel flat on the ground, your tender parts hit the top tube. If standing flat footed, and have some clearance (a couple of inches would be good), then the bike is not too big. Are you hitting the top tube when standing over it, with feet flat on the ground? Still wondering what leads you to think it's too big for you.
Old 08-26-21, 04:48 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

As stated by cyccommute, the bike is only too big if when standing over the top tube, with feel flat on the ground, your tender parts hit the top tube. If standing flat footed, and have some clearance (a couple of inches would be good), then the bike is not too big. Are you hitting the top tube when standing over it, with feet flat on the ground? Still wondering what leads you to think it's too big for you.
That’s for a road bike. For a mountain bike, the tender bits need to be a bit further away since the ground is often further away if you have to bail off.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-26-21, 05:06 PM
freeranger

Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s for a road bike. For a mountain bike, the tender bits need to be a bit further away since the ground is often further away if you have to bail off.
Agree, the OP stated in post 10 that he is only riding on the road. Probably should have prefixed my post with "since you're only riding on the road", in case someone read it and thought that was enough for all mtn.bikes.
Old 08-26-21, 05:24 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
1" can probably still be dealt with, but 2" too big is certainly an issue when your ride is longer than 1 hour, or you're pushing the limits on an at least somewhat technical bit of trail. Going on short rides to the shops or somesuch, sure, whatever, as long you can actually pedal and steer.

Standover height is less of an issue with mountain bikes and their generally lower frames with sloped top tubes, but there's still the reach issue. On a related note, it's worth noting that road and mountain bike sizing is not consistent: for me at 6'1 height and 35" inseam the optimal road oriented frame size is 58-60 cm, which equals about 23-24 inches, whereas a mountain bike that fits me is around 21 inches (I'm not even sure there are mass-produced mtb frames larger than 23 inches?).
Old 08-26-21, 05:51 PM
cyccommute 

Agree, the OP stated in post 10 that he is only riding on the road. Probably should have prefixed my post with "since you're only riding on the road", in case someone read it and thought that was enough for all mtn.bikes.
I’m not sure what size bike CheGiantForLife is riding. No measurements have been forthcoming. On the other hand, mountain bikes really do need to be sized properly since the smaller frame has a proportionally longer top tube which is usually longer than even road bike top tubes of the proper size. My 20” Dean mountain bike, for example, has a 56cm top tube. My 58cm Dean road bike has a 54cm top tube. My 58 cm Cannondale touring bike has a 52cm top tube. A 22” mountain bike would have and even longer top tube and be highly uncomfortable for road riding.

Old 08-27-21, 05:53 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Then why did you even start this thread?
John
I wanted to make sure it was normal and correct.
Just because I don't mind it, doesn't make it correct.
Old 08-27-21, 08:44 AM
cyccommute 

I wanted to make sure it was normal and correct.
Just because I don't mind it, doesn't make it correct.
Mountain bikes will always show miles of seatpost when properly sized. My leg is at the proper extension on each of these bikes. I can’t put a foot down on level ground from any of them.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-21, 08:56 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m not sure what size bike CheGiantForLife is riding.
Strider?
Old 08-27-21, 10:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cut 2 inches off and make it smaller.
Old 08-27-21, 11:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Standover is a great way to size a bike when you want to spend less than one minute on bike fitting..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.